Free or Not Free?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Re: the kidnapping for ransom of the two Dominican cinematographers in the capital of Haiti, my wife reported to me yesterday via news on television, that all victims had been freed.

Today I read in dr1 news that negotiations are continuing. I have a personal reason for knowing the status of this crime as the translator, Junior Augusma, is my good friend. I have already congratulated his family via text!

Freed or not freed?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
No response from family, actually, his brother. My fear is that he is still being held hostage and that I had already congratulated the family on his freedom. They would have a very bad reaction to that. The translator is usually not mentioned but his name is Junior Augusma and I found him referenced in a Haiti news source and also saw him on Dominican television.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
No response from family, actually, his brother. My fear is that he is still being held hostage and that I had already congratulated the family on his freedom. They would have a very bad reaction to that. The translator is usually not mentioned but his name is Junior Augusma and I found him referenced in a Haiti news source and also saw him on Dominican television.

Perhaps you may want to keep the personal details....personal.
At least for now.

Reactions: JD Jones

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Good to note. However, his name was already reported on the news. I will say no more. Really, I just wanted to know whether these persons had been freed or not which was the original question in my post.

His family should, and quite posssibly would, be the persons to inform you.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
This is a national news topic. My question pertains to this topic as a national news item.

Which is of more significance to you, the safety of your friend, or the senasationalism of a national news topic?
Can you possibly possess an ounce of respect for the person's family?
Perhaps it is not all about you, just this one time.

Reactions: JD Jones

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
That the national news topic is "sensationalized" is your assumption. If you or anyone else could have answered my original question I would know whether my friend were safe or no. The point is that no one here, thus far, knows the answer to my question and have, in its place, succumbed to irrelevant tangents.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
That the national news topic is "sensationalized" is your assumption. If you or anyone else could have answered my original question I would know whether my friend were safe or no. The point is that no one here, thus far, knows the answer to my question and have, in its place, succumbed to irrelevant tangents.

I wish the best for your friend, and his family.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Earliar today, after you posted your inquiry, I googled
the subject matter. There I found a half dozen references that were all dated some years back. I then added today's date to my search and nothing came up. Since Google, I would assume, has a better search engine than members of this forum, I would think they were not free at the time of your posting

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Re: the kidnapping for ransom of the two Dominican cinematographers in the capital of Haiti, my wife reported to me yesterday via news on television, that all victims had been freed.

Today I read in dr1 news that negotiations are continuing. I have a personal reason for knowing the status of this crime as the translator, Junior Augusma, is my good friend. I have already congratulated his family via text!

Freed or not freed?
Word on social media is spreading that they are free, Lucas.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
DiarioLibre (Google translation to English)

Dominican brothers kidnapped in Haiti released
It is not yet known if the two million dollars they demanded to release them were paid

The two Dominican brothers Michael Enrique and Antonio Gerer Campusano Féliz, who were kidnapped in Haiti last Saturday while working on the filming of a documentary, were released.

The information was confirmed to this medium by a full credit source, but it is not yet known if the two million dollars they demanded to release them were paid. Nor is the situation in which they are known. Videos were published earlier on social networks, where the brothers, and Haitian Junior Albert Augusma, who was also kidnapped, shared in freedom and in an open place. In another audiovisual, they are commenting on the situation in Haiti and its kidnapping.

Tonight, relatives of the Dominicans are celebrating in the La Cerca de Bajos de Haina sector, in San Cristóbal, that the brothers were released. They said that her mother received a call informing her that they were now free.

The kidnapping took place last Saturday the 20th, before 9:30 p.m., in Martissant, at the southern entrance to Port-au-Prince, the Haitian capital.

The Dominicans were returning with a filming group from Jacmel, in a convoy made up of 17 vehicles, in which there were eight embedded policemen dressed in civilian clothes. According to a witness, at those moments, a white Toyota Hilux pickup, with dark windows and an official government license plate, broke up the convoy, four heavily armed individuals getting out of the vehicle. The armed men, pointing their weapons, demanded that the three hostages get into the truck. The captors demanded two million dollars for the release.

Liberan a hermanos dominicanos secuestrados en Haití (diariolibre.com)

• Love
Reactions: NanSanPedro