Guns/Firearms Control

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It seems many people do not renew their gun registrations.

In the old days, a few pesos in the right hands seemed to 'fix' the problem........ maybe not any more !!??
==============================

There are strong penalties for having and using illegal firearms after a new law was passed a couple of years ago. But like everything else with past governments the laws weren't applied.(http://www.poderjudicial.gob.do/documen … e_2016.pdf)

The Minister of Interior and Police is giving a grace period for people to renew their licences for possession and carry or hand in illegals arms.

The implication is that persons caught with illegal arms after that will face the law:

Interior and Police will give term(dará plazo) to those who have illegal weapons or expired permits

https://noticiassin.com/interior-y-poli … -vencidos/

The illegal possession and possession of weapons continues to be a pending issue in the country and the new authorities intend to deal with it quickly and agilely.

“We are going to give a period for the renewal of firearms to those citizens who have not renewed their firearms for years,” announced the Interior Minister, Jesús “Chú” Vázquez.

In the case of those who carry illegal weapons, they will be allowed to hand them over to the institution, although it did not say whether they will file charges.

"We are going to establish a fast, agile mechanism, so that all those who qualify can have their firearm without major difficulties," said Vázquez in the central interview of El Despertador.

He explained that from the institution he directs, they will seek “all the necessary means for all those people who have illegal firearms, to hand them over to the Ministry of the Interior and Police or to the corresponding authorities and then if they do not obey that call then we we are going to proceed with the police authorities so that these people are required( esas personas sean requeridas) and those weapons are collected and taken to the Ministry of the Interior and Police ”.

However, after this process, the requirements to obtain the permit will not be increased but will be limited to "strictly comply with the protocol established by law."
==========================

Minister of the Interior and Police announces plan to disarm the population

https://listindiario.com/la-republica/2 … -poblacion

The Minister of the Interior and Police, Jesús Vásquez, said that this entity legalized thousands of firearms in recent years, despite the fact that importation has been prohibited since 2006.

He specified that 238,000 firearms are registered in the Ministry of the Interior and Police, but only 50,000 people are those who renew their licenses each year.

He reported that in the next few days they will give a grace for citizens to renew their permit and warned that those who do not catch up within the term granted, their firearms will be seized.

He expressed concern about the amount of illegal weapons in the population that are used to commit crimes, for which he asked the media for collaboration to raise awareness about the need for disarmament in the population.

He indicated that they will carry out a consultation with the purpose of developing a campaign to exchange firearms for some object, which they have not yet determined, in order to build a more peaceful society.

In that sense, he announced that they will elaborate a protocol in which they will establish more rigid requirements to obtain the license for the carriage and ensure that only those who meet the conditions obtain these artifacts.

He pointed out that in the next few days they will put into operation a technological system to not only make services more efficient, but also to put an end to the mafia structures that operated in the Ministry.

The Minister of the Interior and Police spoke during a press conference held by the zoom platform, in which he detailed the achievements of his administration and announced the measures that he will present to President Luis Abinader to be included in the Strategic Plan for Citizen Security.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
He specified that 238,000 firearms are registered in the Ministry of the Interior and Police, but only 50,000 people are those who renew their licenses each year.

When the Government decided years ago that a ballistic test in the Capital was required every year in addition to other bothersome tests they got what would be expected. Dominicans are not going to to through the ringer every year, so they just did not renew and keep their guns.

And to think that people will flock to the Police to turn in guns is pathetic at best.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Same way as they catch felons / criminals........ law enforcement......

And that of course happens everyday, everywhere.

No criminals with guns because law enforcement will take care of it.

We are safe!

Lets revisit this a year from now.

"He indicated that they will carry out a consultation with the purpose of developing a campaign to exchange firearms for some object, which they have not yet determined, in order to build a more peaceful society."

Toys for tots.

Sure it works in civilized societies. Highly doubt there will be any guns collected that way in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
remember, they have a list of the reg'd owners.....
track'em down.... maybe not easy but doable

not your 'needle in the haystack'.... more like hiding in plain sight

I think many of us here agree - crime solving is quite good in this country....

We'll see- good initiative.....
I hope you haven't got an unreg'd gun !!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

When the Government decided years ago that a ballistic test in the Capital was required every year in addition to other bothersome tests they got what would be expected. Dominicans are not going to to through the ringer every year, so they just did not renew and keep their guns.

And to think that people will flock to the Police to turn in guns is pathetic at best.
Exactly. The annual license renewal is facing resistance. The result is yet another amnesty. Not the first time this has happened.

The PLD made things much harder on legal gun owners. Will the PRM possibly make it easier to be legal?

Probably not.

Reactions: zoomzx11

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Probably those 50,000 are gun owners who live in Santo Domingo. I renew every year on time, but for me it's 15 minutes to drive to the ballistics lab. I imagine going there from North Coast or East... and why perform ballistics on the same gun every year? I bet if they decide to remove this dumb requirement for ballistics check every year, most of gun owners will renew on time.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Exactly. The annual license renewal is facing resistance. The result is yet another amnesty. Not the first time this has happened.

The PLD made things much harder on legal gun owners. Will the PRM possibly make it easier to be legal?

Probably not.
No need to make it easier, just leave me alone.

Newer rules placed family on no pay list yearly.
Not my first amnesty.

Paying the government on time is un Dominican.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I haven't renewed my licence. It will be a year out of date by March. I've heard it's a real pain to do during covid. You need to make an appointment with the ballistics lab in SD and it is assigned and difficult to change. I'm not going to SD from the North Coast when THEY tell me to. I'll come down when it's convenient for me.

In the meantime, my gun stays at home and I have no intention of leaving the house with it.

I'll pay the renewal fee and do the doping test, but I don't see why I should have to go to SD when they tell me to.........They already have the ballistics profile of my pistol. It hasn't changed since the last time I took it there. In fact that was the last time it got fired.

• Haha
Reactions: Radical and Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Most of the "responsible" gun owners within this web forum community openly disagree, ridicule, and flaunt their disregards for the rule of law regarding such ownership within RD.
They should have their toys taken from them immediately, residency and or "citizenship" revoked, and booted back to their original nations on a one way flight.
The law is the law.
Adiós amigos. Vaya bien.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I've heard it's a real pain to do during covid.
Actually, it was easier and faster than before Covid. I clicked for appointment on ballistics lab's website, chose the date and the exact hour (9 AM in my case), I went there and there were only 4 persons with appointment on 9 AM, empty parking lot, empty office, no waiting in lines, they did not take new photos, fingerprints, or signature (to avoid us touching anything), just took my gun to check, in 5 minutes returned it and printed out new license. It never was that fast before Covid.

Reactions: Radical

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Most of the "responsible" gun owners within this web forum community openly disagree, ridicule, and flaunt their disregards for the rule of law regarding such ownership within RD.
They should have their toys taken from them immediately, residency and or "citizenship" revoked, and booted back to their original nations on a one way flight.
The law is the law.
Adiós amigos. Vaya bien.

Dear Mr. Know It All, if you are talking about the law, you should know that the law says that the citizenship of naturalized citizens can be revoked in the following cases: if you obtained it using false documents, if you changed your residence to another country during the first year after obtaining your citizenship, if you left DR for more than 10 years without coming back, and if in case of war you take the side of the enemy. Breaking the laws (including the firearms law) may lead to criminal prosecution, but can't result in revoking the citizenship.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I haven't renewed my licence. It will be a year out of date by March. I've heard it's a real pain to do during covid. You need to make an appointment with the ballistics lab in SD and it is assigned and difficult to change. I'm not going to SD from the North Coast when THEY tell me to. I'll come down when it's convenient for me.

In the meantime, my gun stays at home and I have no intention of leaving the house with it.

I'll pay the renewal fee and do the doping test, but I don't see why I should have to go to SD when they tell me to.........They already have the ballistics profile of my pistol. It hasn't changed since the last time I took it there. In fact that was the last time it got fired.
is the registration for hand guns or rifles?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
is the registration for hand guns or rifles?
Dominican citizens as civilians cannot own rifles of any kind. Hence no registration for rifles.

A shotgun. up to 12 gauge. has a perpetual license for a civilan.

A handgun, up to 9 mm maximum. for civilians, has an annual license fee including an anti-doping test and a ballistics test each year.
The ballistics test for all handguns is done in Santo Domingo annually ( a totally RIDICULOUS requirement).

That is why they periodically have an amnesty for those not currently legal to come in and pay all the fees.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I agree in principle with you, but you are violating the law and your weapon could be confiscated and they could fine or do worse with you for evading that annual ballistics check. I hate to think what would happen if you used an illegal gun to protect yourself during a home invasion.

That ballistics check was easier than pre-covid, but did I mention I hate Santo Domingo?

Reactions: Caonabo and Radical

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Dear Mr. Know It All, if you are talking about the law, you should know that the law says that the citizenship of naturalized citizens can be revoked in the following cases: if you obtained it using false documents, if you changed your residence to another country during the first year after obtaining your citizenship, if you left DR for more than 10 years without coming back, and if in case of war you take the side of the enemy. Breaking the laws (including the firearms law) may lead to criminal prosecution, but can't result in revoking the citizenship.
But I suspect it could be a reason for revoking legal residency. I won't be searching the legal code, that is just a guess on my part.

Reactions: Caonabo