Guns/Firearms Control

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Huge Euge

This is a different gov't........doing things differently
They want rid of the guns..... not more renewals.

Read above - President's speech today
Lower homicides he said. Gun deaths are 50 percent of the homicides.
Licensed permitted people do not commit crimes.
Licensed gun owners are the low hanging fruit but toughening up the law will never reduce homicides.
If they are going to take away the permits I like it better if I owe them money.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
This Government, or the next Government, nobody will eliminate the right for legal gun possession and carrying here. Because doing that is just to shoot their own foot, it will be just less income for the Government and the crime will rise, because criminals will know that there's no legal guns to stop them.

The President's speech was for the general public. If you have read what exactly Ministro de Interior y Policia said about the subject, they are trying to make everything working right for legal gun owners and eliminate the mafia that was operating inside MIP helping criminal to get licenses. They will also make stiffer requirements for obtaining new license, but that's not bad actually, because current psychiatric test is a joke. I actually will not be surprised if in the future they will remove gun import restrictions, so gun stores will be able to sell what people want to buy, not what they have on their shelves since before 2005 (and it' more tax revenue for the Government too).

Reactions: Radical

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Governments always want to get rid of legal guns.
They are the responsible ones in society.
And they scare the hell out of the government.
All governments ‼️
I have lived within a group where everyone carries a gun.
Makes people polite and respectful.
And when someone is having a problem...everyone keeps a eye on them.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Governments always want to get rid of legal guns.
They are the responsible ones in society.
And they scare the hell out of the government.
All governments ‼️
Hahah, as we can see, only 50,000 out of 238,000 are responsible, LOL.

And, maybe legal gun owners scare the hell out of Governments like Putin's, but not here in DR for sure. Nobody will surround President's Palace here with guns, legal or illegal... There's no chance of revolution or some severe civil unrest in DR where the Government has to be afraid of legal gun owners. Yes, they want to get rid of illegal guns (and it looks like they don't know how yet), and yes, they want to enforce renewals for the legal ones to keep the revenue. I don't see nothing new here and nothing to worry about.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Mr. Eugene_A
Are you writing from a informed position within the DRGOV ❓
Or is the above a WAG with some opinion thrown in❓

Making it difficult for legal gun owners is how a government takes guns off the street wholesale.
Taking illegal guns off the street only occurs if they go after illegal gun dealers at the source.
Otherwise they take illegal guns off the street on a retail level crime by crime.
I am not a part of DRGOV‼️
But the mentality of those who commit crime is pretty universal the world over.
And those who fight it the best get into the minds of criminals and know their own governments because they work within them.

Welcome to the party🔫
And remember never bring a 🔪 to a gun fight.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Making it difficult for legal gun owners is how a government takes guns off the street wholesale.
As of now, all attempts to make it more difficult resulted in significantly decreased revenue for the Government, because most legal gun owners just stopped to renew their licenses. But nobody took their firearms from them, and they will be offered another "gracia" to renew without legal troubles. Don't compare DR to other countries, what works there, will not work here.

The most stupid Government decision about guns that I remember here is when Leonel declared 'Diciembre sin armas'. If you remember that and the reaction of the Dominicans, you should understand that it will never happen again.

It's the same like INTRANT tried to prohibit use of bumper guards a couple of months ago. Did it happen? LOL. Not in DR.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Most of the "responsible" gun owners within this web forum community openly disagree, ridicule, and flaunt their disregards for the rule of law regarding such ownership within RD.
They should have their toys taken from them immediately, residency and or "citizenship" revoked, and booted back to their original nations on a one way flight.
The law is the law.
Adiós amigos. Vaya bien.
I have full intention of getting my licence up-to-date and compliant with the law. But for the most part of 2020 I've been over 3000 miles away from Santo Domingo. That's made it quite tricky to do the ballistics check.

Now I'm back home and have a number of things to catch up on. I'm not the kind of fun lovin criminal Caonabo would have you believe. As much as he would love to kick me out of his country! Gotta love his quote "The law is the law"!

Just because it's the law, it doesn't necessarily make it right.

A few generations ago it was legal to own slaves.

Keep calm and carry on................

Owning a pistol here is a real pain the derrière. I'll probably sell it soon and replace it with a shotgun. One time licence, no more renewals. I only have it for home defence anyway. I never leave the house with my gun. But my main concern is that I have young kids. My pistol is well hidden, they would never find it. A shotgun is harder to hide in a place where I could retrieve it quickly when needed.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I have full intention of getting my licence up-to-date and compliant with the law. But for the most part of 2020 I've been over 3000 miles away from Santo Domingo. That's made it quite tricky to do the ballistics check.

Now I'm back home and have a number of things to catch up on. I'm not the kind of fun lovin criminal Caonabo would have you believe. As much as he would love to kick me out of his country! Gotta love his quote "The law is the law"!

Just because it's the law, it doesn't necessarily make it right.

A few generations ago it was legal to own slaves.

Keep calm and carry on................

Owning a pistol here is a real pain the derrière. I'll probably sell it soon and replace it with a shotgun. One time licence, no more renewals. I only have it for home defence anyway. I never leave the house with my gun. But my main concern is that I have young kids. My pistol is well hidden, they would never find it. A shotgun is harder to hide in a place where I could retrieve it quickly when needed.
Mr. beeza,

I really liked your post.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Just reading these posts reminded me of why I never wanted to have any kind of firearm here...I was in the USA military 4 years, two years in a war zone, viet nam... after 2 years in the jungle in the mud and being shot at and never a scratch...I will take my chances without a firearm here and rely on the training I got from the army, 101st airborne.. recon....

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Most of the "responsible" gun owners within this web forum community openly disagree, ridicule, and flaunt their disregards for the rule of law regarding such ownership within RD.
They should have their toys taken from them immediately, residency and or "citizenship" revoked, and booted back to their original nations on a one way flight.
The law is the law.
Adiós amigos. Vaya bien.
I do not know the stats on 'vehicular' deaths or crimes commited with any vehicle, but I'm pretty sure you coudn't take away the vehicle from a so called "responsible" driver.
If you don't like somnething simply do not do it. Just don't tell me I can't.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I do not know the stats on 'vehicular' deaths or crimes commited with any vehicle, but I'm pretty sure you coudn't take away the vehicle from a so called "responsible" driver.
If you don't like somnething simply do not do it. Just don't tell me I can't.
There are people on this board that love to knock something they know nothing about and have nothing to do with. I guess they have nothing better to do.....................

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
The problem is the result of many factors and needs a comprehensive response, but I anticipate that we will not be able to reduce the number of homicides we suffer, without a significant disarmament of the population, which we must confront.

Disarming the population isn't the answer or approach; disarming the criminals must be the focus. But who is going to go inside the barrios to take guns away?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy, what if you never left the country in between the renewals, proven with your passport. Is it still necessary?

Do you mean that if you miss a renewal date because you were out of the DR what would the consequences be?
Then you could renew as soon as you returned and I don't expect it would be an issue.

After all, they have these periodic amnesty periods for those who never renew.

Or did I miss the point of your question?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Disarming the population isn't the answer or approach; disarming the criminals must be the focus. But who is going to go inside the barrios to take guns away?
The Minister of Interior & Police has said exactly that -

Register or we'll come and take it away

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The Minister of Interior & Police has said exactly that -

Register or we'll come and take it away
You really believe that? Guess the same Policia that was supposed to come and lock up all the "Overstayers" will be out in force again.....................................