North Coast Covid-19 Vaccination Sites - Who, What, When & Where

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Expats from Sosua reported getting their vaccine at the public health clinic next to or behind the fire station in Puerto plata (I assume the one on the Malecon). Would that be considered San Felipe? I don't think these people were older than 70 but I do not personally know them. One again it appears that the rules for who can be vaccinated may be open to interpretation at some locations. Anyone know what phase we are officially supposed to be in now?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Expats from Sosua reported getting their vaccine at the public health clinic next to or behind the fire station in Puerto plata (I assume the one on the Malecon). Would that be considered San Felipe?
The public health building near the fire station and the Malecón in Puerto Plata is Centro Sanitario

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
They were discussing this on Sosua radio this morning, saying there presently is no vaccination center for Sosua/Charamicos. This makes no sense, a lot of people here

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What Windeguy posted includes a report that 2 million vaccines will be arriving soon, one million on the 15th and another million on the 25th

"Asimismo, reveló que el próximo 15 y 25 de marzo el país estará recibiendo un lote de 1 millón de vacunas en ambas fechas, por lo que, a pesar de que el proceso de vacunación ha sido organizado por fecha y fases, advirtió que mientras mas vacunas se reciban más rápido se adelantarían las fases."

Wonder where is coming from, the report doesn't say.

More center may open when this is received.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
They were discussing this on Sosua radio this morning, saying there presently is no vaccination center for Sosua/Charamicos. This makes no sense, a lot of people here
Thank you Ken, please keep the local information coming as you encounter it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Anyone planning to go into Puerto Plata soon to get their vaccine from the clinic in the park behind the fire station? Everything I am hearing suggests that they are not screening people by age or any of the phase criteria. I would be very appreciative of a ride from Sosua for my wife and me. We are both healthy and can offer some money for gas and conversation while we wait in line.

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
Anyone planning to go into Puerto Plata soon to get their vaccine from the clinic in the park behind the fire station? Everything I am hearing suggests that they are not screening people by age or any of the phase criteria. I would be very appreciative of a ride from Sosua for my wife and me. We are both healthy and can offer some money for gas and conversation while we wait in line.
Wish I had known....i was there this morning. You are correct, there is no screening. I was told they are doing 60+...so that is why I went. You fill out an informtion sheet (its all in spanish) basically just asks if you have had the flu, fever, allergies etc. Do you have any conditions and there are several listed ie hypertension, cancer etc.
Then you sit and wait. Some man (who was there for the vaccine) actually got everyone organized and moved us efficiently. When i was finally at the nurse...you hand in information sheet and id. I chose to use my passport as i want that id number on the vaccine card for travel. No questions re residency although i do have it. They asked mybage and where i lived. Thats it.

Reactions: cavok

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Expats from Sosua reported getting their vaccine at the public health clinic next to or behind the fire station in Puerto plata (I assume the one on the Malecon). Would that be considered San Felipe? I don't think these people were older than 70 but I do not personally know them. One again it appears that the rules for who can be vaccinated may be open to interpretation at some locations. Anyone know what phase we are officially supposed to be in now?
Today on TV Dominican News a worker in Santo Domongo at a vaccination gave a shot to someone under 70. As they say in Monopoly, "She went straight to Jail" . Don't know about the recipient of the shot though.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm hesitant to believe anything written on Facebook and even more hesitant to post such ramblings here but on the off chance that the information is accurate it is important. There is a poster claiming knowledge from Public Health who is suggesting that there will be a vaccination clinic at the Sosua city hall this Saturday starting at 08:00. For those 60+ with health issues and those over 70. The poster suggests that those close to age 60 should also consider going. I have no way to verify the accuracy of those statements so I repeat them with the clear statement that the information about the vaccine being available in Sosua may be incorrect.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Today on TV Dominican News a worker in Santo Domongo at a vaccination gave a shot to someone under 70. As they say in Monopoly, "She went straight to Jail" . Don't know about the recipient of the shot though.
Sounds like nonsense based upon my personal experience in Puerto Plata.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sounds like nonsense based upon my personal experience in Puerto Plata.
That is correct I got a call from a Dominican nurse friend who knew I was going to POP for the vaccine tomorrow telling me to wait as I could get it Saturday at the Sosua town hall. It will also be given in Charamacos on Saturday. she said.

I ask a couple of questions she couldn't answer so investigating. When she gets back to me I will pass whatever more I learn

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
And are all of these vaccines shots being done with the Chinese versions?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
And are all of these vaccines shots being done with the Chinese versions?
That's my understanding. Despite purchase contracts for other vaccines, I think it will be quite awhile before we see other vaccines available in this country in any quantity. China seems able to flood the developing world with their offering and whatever the WHO is handing out will likely be all we see until the first world is done gobbling up the supply of the others. I haven't heard of any stats about adverse reactions to the Chinese vaccine here in the DR yet. With no other option at the moment, one has to decide if the Chinese vaccine with all its shortcomings and country of origin is better than receiving nothing. Can it act as a means to lessen severe disease in the event of infection? It's preventative potential seems to come down to the flip of a coin based on what I have read. Hard for some to choose what to do during these desperate times. Not so for others. And there is the period between first injection and the second plus a couple of weeks when whatever protection will be gained is not yet in place. Much need but not many choices here in the DR yet. Patience is a hard road to walk with potential infection on every street corner.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That is correct I got a call from a Dominican nurse friend who knew I was going to POP for the vaccine tomorrow telling me to wait as I could get it Saturday at the Sosua town hall. It will also be given in Charamacos on Saturday. she said.

I ask a couple of questions she couldn't answer so investigating. When she gets back to me I will pass whatever more I learn
Please do. Exactly where to go, when to be there, what documents are required, who can get vaccinated (age, preexisting conditions etc) and will the follow up shot be available in the same location in due course are all important info people need to make a decision. Thank you Ken. I believe there is supposed to be some sort of announcement of these details made later today somewhere somehow.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
You can get the shot at the clinic on the entry road to Costambar just after the turn off for javilla on the right hand side of the road.

Reactions: beachcomber

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's my understanding. Despite purchase contracts for other vaccines, I think it will be quite awhile before we see other vaccines available in this country in any quantity. China seems able to flood the developing world with their offering and whatever the WHO is handing out will likely be all we see until the first world is done gobbling up the supply of the others. I haven't heard of any stats about adverse reactions to the Chinese vaccine here in the DR yet. With no other option at the moment, one has to decide if the Chinese vaccine with all its shortcomings and country of origin is better than receiving nothing. Can it act as a means to lessen severe disease in the event of infection? It's preventative potential seems to come down to the flip of a coin based on what I have read. Hard for some to choose what to do during these desperate times. Not so for others. And there is the period between first injection and the second plus a couple of weeks when whatever protection will be gained is not yet in place. Much need but not many choices here in the DR yet. Patience is a hard road to walk with potential infection on every street corner.
Read up on all of the vaccines and you will see how they compared in the quick tests that were done.
If you feel Sinovac is better than nothing then you can decide. It will be hard to administer Pfizer vaccines on the north coast.
Moderna would be hard as well and is not on the DR's lists as a choice.
AstraZeneca has little testing on older people. Johnson and Johnson is not even on the list yet for the DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You need to read up more

ALL the vaccines - when at full dose (2x) are practically equal
AND
Anything is better than being naked of protection

Any doctor will tell you-
Take the 1st one offered

Reactions: Ken and SKY
Status
Not open for further replies.