Average wage in DR not enough for basic family budget

Big

Apr 24, 2019
there is plenty of opportunity here to make money and get ahead. Just like everywhere else in the world there is a segment of the population that are lazy sloths. Life is full of choices, working 70 hours a week is one and so is drinking a bottle of rum everyday and sleeping till 200p.m

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Laundry mat
Okay, but those apartments don't stay empty after the building is complete. Most of them are rented, and in towers like Cumbre in Naco it's about 1600 USD per month for empty 3 bedroom apartment, I know the prices because I rented one in their tower for a couple of years. Furnished can be $2000-$3000 per month. So there are people who can afford to pay those rent prices. In less expensive towers here it's about $1200 per month for empty 3 bedroom unit, an $2000 for the nicely furnished one. And I am not talking about just a few buildings, the whole Poligono Central in Santo Domingo is like that. And it's even more expensive in Los Cacicazgos on Av. Enriquillo and on Av. Anacaona in front of the park. Also Bella Vista Sur, La Esperilla.... it's a lot of buildings, a lot of people. There are not so many Government officials or big business owners all together in this country. And as far as I know, in all buildings where I have lived, only three people were from the government.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Okay, but those apartments don't stay empty after the building is complete. Most of them are rented, and in towers like Cumbre in Naco it's about 1600 USD per month for empty 3 bedroom apartment, I know the prices because I rented one in their tower for a couple of years. Furnished can be $2000-$3000 per month. So there are people who can afford to pay those rent prices. In less expensive towers here it's about $1200 per month for empty 3 bedroom unit, an $2000 for the nicely furnished one. And I am not talking about just a few buildings, the whole Poligono Central in Santo Domingo is like that. And it's even more expensive in Los Cacicazgos on Av. Enriquillo and on Av. Anacaona in front of the park. Also Bella Vista Sur, La Esperilla.... it's a lot of buildings, a lot of people. There are not so many Government officials or big business owners all together in this country. And as far as I know, in all buildings where I have lived, only three people were from the government.

This poster lives and realizes what life in Santo Domingo is all about; he gets it clearly. (y)

You are correct. There are many people in the island with plenty of money to dispense for such things as being able to afford those places without pushing any limits. In fact for some, that is just chomp chain.

The monies flowing around the city is crazy scary to say the least. I mean, the amount of Toyota's Land Cruisers, Lexus, 4Runners, Tahoe's, Mercedes Benz, etc, etc that drives around town everyday is just an spectacle to see. Those are all highly expensive vehicles.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
You now, if you read newspapers and official reports, or message boards like this one, you may have the impression that 99,9% of the country are poor people who get the minimal salary and only some government officials, businessmen and drug dealers are rich.

Sadly, the percentages of rich and poor aren't that well balanced, and by saying this am not advocating Progressive agendas nor Comunisn as I'm very pro Capitalism. But the fact of the matter is that richness (which is very high here) is not proportional to the existent lower class (which is also very high), its that the scale is just tilted.

A group of folks with plenty of money vs. a lot of folks with none.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
The monies flowing around the city is crazy scary to say the least. I mean, the amount of Toyota's Land Cruisers, Lexus, 4Runners, Tahoe's, Mercedes Benz, etc, etc that drives around town everyday is just an spectacle to see. Those are all highly expensive vehicles.
Before Covid, I used to go on a road trip in US every year, driving more than ten thousand miles during one month in each trip, visiting every major city in each state on my way. I can say for sure that I have seen less luxury SUVs like Lexuses, Mercedeses, Range Rovers and Porsches during the whole trip than I see here during driving 30 minutes in Naco and Piantini.

I also used to stay a lot in Panama and Colombia, and I have never seen that amount of luxury SUVs there.

And the most funny thing is that they treat these expensive cars like sh#t. A guy on a moped scratched a new $160.000 Lexus? The guy who cleans the parking lot put a garden hose over the hood and scratched it? Neighbor hit your bumper while parking, then opened his door and made a dent on yours? Not a big deal, nobody cares, it was planned to buy another Lexus or maybe Range Rover tomorrow anyway.

Reactions: JD Jones

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You now, if you read newspapers and official reports, or message boards like this one, you may have the impression that 99,9% of the country are poor people who get the minimal salary and only some government officials, businessmen and drug dealers are rich.

But when I drive around Santo Domingo, I see thousands of expensive SUVs everywhere. I see more new Lexuses, Prados, Lincolns and Porsches than I have seen in any US or European city. IKEA is full of people buying something, there are long lines and they all spend thousands of pesos. Their parking lot is always full, half of all vehicles are expensive SUVs. Supermercados Nacional, Jumbos, La Sirena.... any hour, they are full of people buying something. It looks like nobody is working, everybody is shopping. Every time I park at Nacional in Naco, I see at least three or four cars that cost more than 100,000 dollars, other vehicles are new models of Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wranglers, Mercedes, etc. And if you go to Blue Mall, their parking lot looks more like a luxury car exhibition.

I went to the Marmotech store yesterday. It's the most expensive store selling luxury tiles, marble floors, and other materials like that. Most of materials are imported from Europe, prices are crazy high. Both levels of parking were totally busy, not a single space available to park! I spent 15 minutes waiting until somebody left. The store was full of customers, I had to wait 15 minutes to be attended by somebody.

There are so many towers in construction in Naco and Piantini now. The construction here did not slow down during Covid, it speeded up like crazy! And the more expensive they are, the faster they sell! Constructora Cumbre built several towers in my area, prices in their building start from around 400,000 dolars for apartment on lower floors, and up to 700.000 for higher floors or penthouse. And they were all sold at the time they built the basement.

WHO ARE ALL THOSE PEOPLE who spend money on all of that? They can't be all government officials, or drug dealers, or baseball stars, or big business owners, right? They can't be the ones who earn 10,000 or 20,000 pesos per month either.
You are beginning to see the DR the way business people see it. That’s the start of seeing opportunities where others see none.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
You are beginning to see the DR the way business people see it. That’s the start of seeing opportunities where others see none.
Hahah, yeah I know there's a lot of money around here, that's why IKEA opened their first store in Latin America here, not in Panama, not in Colombia. But... I never had any plans to start any business here and I am pretty sure that I will not. I just don't need it.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Plenty of debts you mean. On all levels in the DR society the rule is “fiao”.

Folks driving them types of vehicles have no worries about monies owed, they have plenty. The fiao stuff is for people in the barrios. The middle ground in the country it isn't much, either one has plenty, has the potential to have more, or is lacking everything.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
there is plenty of opportunity here to make money and get ahead. Just like everywhere else in the world there is a segment of the population that are lazy sloths. Life is full of choices, working 70 hours a week is one and so is drinking a bottle of rum everyday and sleeping till 200p.m

There is a majority of people who work 60 hours a week and are up at the crack of dawn, but don't get ahead. Getting ahead would be having a casa de "block" and a decent moto. It s not a matter of choices, so much as it is in developed countries.
Anyone who drink rhum and sleep till 2 pm would be a barrio's loser whom people would have little respect for, even in the so called barrios.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think personal debt has grown astronomically in the RD in recent years.
That s why prestamista are making a killing.
I know people muy trabajadores, who needs to use prestamo from these loan sharks (cause that s what they are), to get ahead. Their salaries just wont allow them to do otherwise.

Reactions: scot_tosh

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Even if you saw 100 000 luxury vehicles, while out and about, even if you saw 100 000 people shopping for expensive imported ceramica or what not, even if there were 100 000 luxury apartments in high rises, that's still only 1% of Dominicans.......

Big

Apr 24, 2019
There is a majority of people who work 60 hours a week and are up at the crack of dawn, but don't get ahead. Getting ahead would be having a casa de "block" and a decent moto. It s not a matter of choices, so much as it is in developed countries.
Anyone who drink rhum and sleep till 2 pm would be a barrio's loser whom people would have little respect for, even in the so called barrios.
Good point. Sacrifice is another decision that many refuse to make. Many put important emphasis on expensive vehicles, cloths, salon and partying. Couple that in with too many off spring and the likelihood of financial stability is slim. Additionally the refusal to learn and speak non slang Spanish also limits employability. Unless you inherit a large portfolio attaining financial independence always requires hard hard work and a significant amount of sacrifice.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I know people muy trabajadores, who needs to use prestamo from these loan sharks (cause that s what they are), to get ahead. Their salaries just wont allow them to do otherwise.
they are idiots !!!

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Even if you saw 100 000 luxury vehicles, while out and about, even if you saw 100 000 people shopping for expensive imported ceramica or what not, even if there were 100 000 luxury apartments in high rises, that's still only 1% of Dominicans.......

Indeed.

Life in the capital and towns outside of it are very different.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
they are idiots !!!

Rather than call them idiots in reply to Africaida's post, can you not empathise with their plight and see the fact the are turning to loan sharks through desperation

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Sadly, the percentages of rich and poor aren't that well balanced, and by saying this am not advocating Progressive agendas nor Comunisn as I'm very pro Capitalism. But the fact of the matter is that richness (which is very high here) is not proportional to the existent lower class (which is also very high), its that the scale is just tilted.

Reading this, I have learned that only drug dealers, ball players, government and old money can afford to do such high end things like go to Ikea and live in Apartments worth 125 to 175 k

Santo Domingo apartments are very reasonable in price, people also take advantage of the local economy ie plato del dia to keep their day to day down and that provides room for nice purchases.

There are also nice apartments in 2nd or 3rd tierneighbourhoods where you can still have something new and nice from 4 million to 6.5 million pesos. These folks also drive nice cars ans can afford Ikea 😂

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Rather than call them idiots in reply to Africaida's post, can you not empathise with their plight and see the fact the are turning to loan sharks through desperation
you are correct. That was mean. I should have said "not very smart". It is also not an act of desperation rather a desire to have a quick payoff instead of budgeting and planning. I have little sympathy for people that want to "live for today" and want hand outs and special consideration. Unless you have a mental or physical disability, get a job, or even a second or third job and don't be a loser, the world has too many.

Reactions: johne

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
people also take advantage of the local economy ie plato del dia to keep their day to day down and that provides room for nice purchases.

I'll buy.

How much does a Doctor, Engineer, Architect, Attorney makes monthly in the DR?