The non-profit Fighting to Keep Sosua's History Alive (and the sad state of the Jewish Museum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
This is not what it seems. This person operates without the sanction of the local Jewish community. Caveat emptor.

Reactions: Michael DR

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This is not what it seems. This person operates without the sanction of the local Jewish community. Caveat emptor.
Why the warning, Meems?

Last edited:

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
Why the warning, Meems?
Hugh mentioned that when I was making this piece- that some feathers got ruffled between him & the local Jewish community. I deliberately left that out because the video would've quickly devolved into a gossip piece which wouldn't have been productive for anyone. One of the descendants sheds some light on this in a FB post:

Last edited by a moderator:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Hugh mentioned that when I was making this piece- that some feathers got ruffled between him & the local Jewish community. I deliberately left that out because the video would've quickly devolved into a gossip piece which wouldn't have been productive for anyone. One of the descendants sheds some light on this in a FB post:
Not only not sanctioned, but neither permission or cooperation of the COMMUNITY granted. I am not saying anything else.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Not only not sanctioned, but neither permission or cooperation of the COMMUNITY granted. I am not saying anything else.
Then that’s a shame. The people I tell of how Sosua came to be are fascinated and unaware of the Jewish refugee plight. Even my Jewish friends. So if some of the COMMUNITY are butt hurt over a guy trying to preserve history so be it. This man is Jewish. He sees history burying the Jewish past. He would like to see a museum stay open and restored. So please explain the down side of what Hugh Baver is trying to do? Is the COMMUNITY embarrassed at their failure to preserve the past? This is exactly what Sosua needs to attract families. Museums and other cultural venues.

What happened to the Weiss house? Will the Jewish star stain glassed dome in the hotel ( old Casa Ceyana ) one day be smashed up in a renovation? Why not research, find and help the COMMUNITY preserve historical landmarks? Family tourist like the beach but also like old historical sh!t. The RD is a treasure for history. But unfortunately it seems to be known more for prostitutes and all the cheap booze you can drink AI’s.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Then that’s a shame. The people I tell of how Sosua came to be are fascinated and unaware of the Jewish refugee plight. Even my Jewish friends. So if some of the COMMUNITY are butt hurt over a guy trying to preserve history so be it. This man is Jewish. He sees history burying the Jewish past. He would like to see a museum stay open and restored. So please explain the down side of what Hugh Baver is trying to do? Is the COMMUNITY embarrassed at their failure to preserve the past? This is exactly what Sosua needs to attract families. Museums and other cultural venues.

What happened to the Weiss house? Will the Jewish star stain glassed dome in the hotel ( old Casa Ceyana ) one day be smashed up in a renovation? Why not research, find and help the COMMUNITY preserve historical landmarks? Family tourist like the beach but also like old historical sh!t. The RD is a treasure for history. But unfortunately it seems to be known more for prostitutes and all the cheap booze you can drink AI’s.
I was surprised and disappointed at what happened to the Weiss house. Such a waste.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I was surprised and disappointed at what happened to the Weiss house. Such a waste.

Let me start by saying that I am not resident in Sosua, neither am I an official member of the Jewish community of the DR, but I do have a connection to the family of Dr. Luis Hess in Israel and South America.
My feeling is that, despite Trujillo's ulterior motives, the establishment of the Jewish refugee community in Sosua is of greater relevance to the wider Dominican society than to the tiny Jewish communities in the country.
Having said that, my friends and I would happily provide any actual assistance in the renovation/restoration of the synagogue/museum and raising awareness in Dominican society to its presence and the heritage behind it.
I may be wrong, but it is my impression that it would be easier and more beneficial to generate interest in such a project in the "ex-pat" community, than in others.
If there is any support for this on DR1, let me know and let's get moving........Thanks. B.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Sosua is a unique town in the Dominican Republic and indeed the world. It's unique origins should be celebrated way more than it is.
One obvious plan: If the Museo and Synagogue were open and promoted it would be a natural for an historical visit, lecture and experience for the Cruise Passengers.
I loved the video . Thank you Hugh Baver and A P Colorado for posting this.

Reactions: A.P.Colorado

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Books to read, if you really want to understand.."Tropical Zion," "Dominican Haven," "The Dictator Next Door." There are also private unpublished manuscripts to which I have access. Get your facts in order. Then we can talk.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Let me start by saying that I am not resident in Sosua, neither am I an official member of the Jewish community of the DR, but I do have a connection to the family of Dr. Luis Hess in Israel and South America.
My feeling is that, despite Trujillo's ulterior motives, the establishment of the Jewish refugee community in Sosua is of greater relevance to the wider Dominican society than to the tiny Jewish communities in the country.
Having said that, my friends and I would happily provide any actual assistance in the renovation/restoration of the synagogue/museum and raising awareness in Dominican society to its presence and the heritage behind it.
I may be wrong, but it is my impression that it would be easier and more beneficial to generate interest in such a project in the "ex-pat" community, than in others.
If there is any support for this on DR1, let me know and let's get moving........Thanks. B.
I am a resident of Sosua and I am Jewish. In my former life in the 1st world, I was a fundraising executive for NYPL, NYBG, The Municipal Art Society (historic preservation & urban land use: zoning, etc.) and the YIVO Institute (sort of the Library of Congress for Yiddish). So, do admit: I have some cred.

There was a major grant about 2 yrs ago from a fdn in Germany (and I mean MAJOR) for conservation of the Jew mew in Sosua. There has been no info as to how it's being administered. One hopes it is being spent prudently.

RE: the remnant of the Sosua Jewish community still residing here: they are an extremely insular entity. You can ask. You can offer. Buena suerte.

Reactions: Carl.L

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Books to read, if you really want to understand.."Tropical Zion," "Dominican Haven," "The Dictator Next Door." There are also private unpublished manuscripts to which I have access. Get your facts in order. Then we can talk.
I've read "Dictator next door" and am currently reading "Tropical Zion." Started the book, then downloaded the kindle version to see if I can continue.
Unfortunately, the only time I read is at night when I hit the sack and I can only get through a few pages before I drop off. :sleep:

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
"Dominican Haven" is sadly out of print. Last time I looked, online used booksellers were asking about $80 for it. There is no digital version available, and trust me I looked.

I'm not sure if you have any clout with the Museum of Jewish Heritage, the publisher, but I think that most would agree that at least a digital version should be available for public purchase. I lucked out as Professor Kaplan, the author, was kind enough to share a pdf of an earlier draft.

I am curious about the private manuscripts you mentioned ...

Carl.L

Banned
Oct 20, 2020
yes
All 3 books are available on Amazon in Kindle form. LUV to see the manuscripts ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.