Average wage in DR not enough for basic family budget

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
There are also nice apartments in 2nd or 3rd tierneighbourhoods where you can still have something new and nice from 4 million to 6.5 million pesos.

What percentage of the population with normal jobs and proportional earnings could actually do that?

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Reading this, I have learned that only drug dealers, ball players, government and old money can afford to do such high end things like go to Ikea and live in Apartments worth 125 to 175 k

If we're gonna have a conversation then let us please be honest; none of the above has been stated. What was mentioned, and you obviously avoided it to score points was the presence of high end vehicles, very expensive vehicles mind you.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Folks driving them types of vehicles have no worries about monies owed, they have plenty. The fiao stuff is for people in the barrios. The middle ground in the country it isn't much, either one has plenty, has the potential to have more, or is lacking everything.
Forget it. I know people who pay 80-90.000 pesos monthly on a car and don’t have a dime to spend for a beer. It’s all about being seen. Real wealth don’t buy this kind of cars.

Reactions: Africaida

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I'll buy.

How much does a Doctor, Engineer, Architect, Attorney makes monthly in the DR?
What percentage of the population with normal jobs and proportional earnings could actually do that?
You go to any tower in Naco or Piantini, you will find one doctor, one attorney, one engineer and one architect in every tower, who own their apartments that cost 200.000 dollars and up. The question is how much they still owe to constructora or bank and how many years they pay it.

What percentage? Lol. What percentage of plumbers in US are successful plumbers and drive Chevrolet Corvette?

Well, it's not US, nurses don't drive Mercedes in DR, but some doctors do.

Reactions: Radical and rfp

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Forget it. I know people who pay 80-90.000 pesos monthly on a car and don’t have a dime to spend for a beer. It’s all about being seen. Real wealth don’t buy this kind of cars.
May I ask, just of curiosity, what kind of cars real wealth buy in DR? When I see McLaren, Ferrari or Lamborghini parked on a sidewalk in front of a restaurant in Naco, is that a real wealth or they pay 80.000 pesos monthly for it?

Reactions: Radical

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
You go to any tower in Naco or Piantini, you will find one doctor, one attorney, one engineer and one architect in every tower, who own their apartments that cost 200.000 dollars and up. The question is how much they still owe to constructora or bank and how many years they pay it.

And I agree.

Well, talking about demographics, Piantini, and Naco are top tier neighborhoods, and people living in these premises are easily able to afford the places. Now, shift over to majority of the cases (and am referring to "normal folks with regular jobs within the population) how do they do it, I don't know. The fact is that if one goes by the earnings powers of these professionals in this country, the math just doesn't add up.

An Engineer employed by the government, a Doctor, an attorney, doesn't generate the profits to be able to afford a $200K mortgage, I don't care if they eat Empanadas three times a day!

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
That’s it. You buy a brand new Range Rover for 6 million with a 3-400.000 inicial. And off you go. Let’s find out how we pay it.

As if $300K or $400K were weekend change?

No dealership will let you off the lot with such vehicle that easy.

High end jobs within the government do not pay that much and that is, if some of these people you've referred to are actually employed.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I'll buy.

Ill bite, one of our neighbors moved out of the apartment in our building to something brand new and sub penthouse further into Bella Vista. Hes a gynecologist who makes at least 15k US dollars a month out of a very humble medical practice. Hes the only doctor and pays for 2 assistants, cleaning utilties etc. I know he had mortgaged his apartment about a decade ago to upgrade his medical equipment. I would say hes clear at least 500k pesos a month. His wife is also a doctor, she keeps her money for family trips, plastic surgery etc. I know she works in both public and private sectors, no clue as to how much she makes.

He has another family from Santiago renting the apartment right now. They own their own place in Santiago but are renting in the Capital due to jobs, they are trying to work out a private financing, rent to own scenario here.

The gynecologist drives a Honda CRV and his wife has a 2010ish 3 series.

A good friend of mine is a lawyer, he has taken over his dads copyright law practice and been successful in growing it while doing as much of the day to day "grunt work" as he can personally. He drives a newer Audi on payments but lives in a townhouse just above Jose Contreras in La Julia that is long since paid for. Its not luxurious by any stretch but a decent middle class home. He hasn't sold because they are waiting to be bought out for High Rise construction. In a good year i would guess that he makes 100k USD. Really, really good guy.

This is upper middle class with money to burn on incomes that would be average in USA

Reactions: Radical

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
If we're gonna have a conversation then let us please be honest; none of the above has been stated. What was mentioned, and you obviously avoided it to score points was the presence of high end vehicles, very expensive vehicles mind you.
When cost of living is low ie cheap apartments (from a global perspective) and other day to day items ie food, personal care, domestic help etc are relatively cheap a "decent" income can stretch to allow you to spend money on your priorities. For many Dominicans a vehicle is one of those said priorities.

Look, I hate the materialism and vacuous nature of peoples priorities, but the black and white narrative you paint of poor/rich and oppressor/oppressed is not the reality here. There are lots of people all over different spots in the middle

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
May I ask, just of curiosity, what kind of cars real wealth buy in DR? When I see McLaren, Ferrari or Lamborghini parked on a sidewalk in front of a restaurant in Naco, is that a real wealth or they pay 80.000 pesos monthly for it?
On that end I would think its real money

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Ill bite, one of our neighbors moved out of the apartment in our building to something brand new and sub penthouse further into Bella Vista. Hes a gynecologist who makes at least 15k US dollars a month out of a very humble medical practice. Hes the only doctor and pays for 2 assistants, cleaning utilties etc. I know he had mortgaged his apartment about a decade ago to upgrade his medical equipment. I would say hes clear at least 500k pesos a month. His wife is also a doctor, she keeps her money for family trips, plastic surgery etc. I know she works in both public and private sectors, no clue as to how much she makes.

Great sample!

Happens, but this is one of the few exemptions. $500K cleared a month for a couple is not that great amount of money, but it does prove the point (which I'm in agreement and condone, that hard work mixed with frugality and financial savvy decisions pays off). Most Md's in the general term of the population do not make that amount of money. Assuming they clear that amount and taking in consideration the family expenses, that alone isn't basis to own a Toyota Land Cruiser costing $140K, nor to be able to get an apartment worth $250K, it just doesn't add up.

In the same note I can show you thousands with no jobs or averaging 30K Pesos a month.

In a good year i would guess that he makes 100k USD. Really, really good guy.

And how many attorneys have the privilege to make that amount?

Again, this is not a reflect of the earning powers of the general public. Does it happens, of course it does and I take your word for it as I too know many very well off acquaintances of mine, exactly on the same boat as your friend. With your example I can turn around and give thousands of people struggling baddly just to afford the day in and out expenses, and that is my point.

I'm not advocating the rich vs. poor theme here, what I'm saying is that there are many with tremendous amount of monies, usually derived by means of generational richness, some by connections and ties with government, others criminally acquired in some instances, and some which have placed themselves in a position to be in the path of wealth by doing hard work and savvy financial decisions, what can't be denied though is the existence of a vast majority which struggle mightily to make it, day in and day out.

Those are the ones forced to Platos del Dia, Emapanadas and Spaguettis, forced either by their stupid decisions, bad luck, lack of job, relations, etc, etc, etc

Reactions: Africaida

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
When cost of living is low ie cheap apartments (from a global perspective) and other day to day items ie food, personal care, domestic help etc are relatively cheap a "decent" income can stretch to allow you to spend money on your priorities. For many Dominicans a vehicle is one of those said priorities.

200K USD isn't cheap anywhere, nevertheless in this country with its earning powers. I would like to see a way to stretch a decent income to pay for a Land Cruiser?

Where I come from, a priority would be being able to afford a Civic, Camry or even just an Explorer at the high end.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Great sample!

Happens, but this is one of the few exemptions. $500K cleared a month for a couple is not that great amount of money, but it does prove the point (which I'm in agreement and condone, that hard work mixed with frugality and financial savvy decisions pays off). Most Md's in the general term of the population do not make that amount of money. Assuming they clear that amount and taking in consideration the family expenses, that alone isn't basis to own a Toyota Land Cruiser costing $140K, nor to be able to get an apartment worth $250K, it just doesn't add up.

In the same note I can show you thousands with no jobs or averaging 30K Pesos a month.

And how many attorneys have the privilege to make that amount?

Again, this is not a reflect of the earning powers of the general public. Does it happens, of course it does and I take your word for it as I too know many very well off acquaintances of mine, exactly on the same boat as your friend. With your example I can turn around and give thousands of people struggling baddly just to afford the day in and out expenses, and that is my point.

I'm not advocating the rich vs. poor theme here, what I'm saying is that there are many with tremendous amount of monies, usually derived by means of generational richness, some by connections and ties with government, others criminally acquired in some instances, and some which have placed themselves in a position to be in the path of wealth by doing hard work and savvy financial decisions, what can't be denied though is the existence of a vast majority which struggle mightily to make it, day in and day out.

Those are the ones forced to Platos del Dia, Emapanadas and Spaguettis, forced either by their stupid decisions, bad luck, lack of job, relations, etc, etc, etci

I get you, I would scratch my head all the time too. Different folks, different strokes. I go back to the plato del dia discussion, we had some tight months living there but from the outside you would never have known. We were able to cover lost ground quick by staying home, eating basic food etc.

When we move back to Florida it was inverse reality ie how do people dress bad and have no money for vacations when they make so much and can finance their homes and cars so easily.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
200K USD isn't cheap anywhere, nevertheless in this country with its earning powers. I would like to see a way to stretch a decent income to pay for a Land Cruiser?

Where I come from, a priority would be being able to afford a Civic, Camry or even just an Explorer at the high end.
Still lots that middle class folks can buy in the 80-120 range. For a major city, I still think that its a steal.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I'll buy.

Now as you well know that's going to depend on the Doctor, Engineer, Architect, Attorney., My cardiologist has the 3rd floor of the new medical net building and a lot of the upper class Dominicans, expats etc. US educated, Orthopedist educated in France and Spain. Both are making a whole lot more than you have put forth. same with a couple of engineers I know and and a couple of Attorneys that have their own buildings. GP I use makes several trips a year to the US where he was also trained. Agreed not all are the same with-in the professions but there are some, and in most cases they have earned it! You make the effort and reap the awards.

by the way average wage in the US is around 55k, not everyone makes NY wages.