Embarrassing Las Terrenas After Semana Santa 2021

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think this video says it all. Las Terrenas was invaded by people during Semana Santa.

Reactions: cavok

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is how it was. Coronavirus pandemic? Where?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Surprisingly, there were not many people on Sosua beach yesterday, but it was very cloudy. No trash scattered on the beach and a lot of police patrolling.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
It was close to the same in Boca Chica. But as long as they were all outside, I don't see a big problem.

If they were to pick up their own trash and not destroy anything, I agree, there would be at least smaller problem... Same as with Malecon in POP, the animals that have their parties there leave it like garbage dump for Monday mornings...

Reactions: Big

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think this video says it all. Las Terrenas was invaded by people during Semana Santa.

Las Terrenas is invaded by people EVERY Semana Santa i.e. Spring break in Miami. It was less people than usual.
Unless, they closed the province or forbid private rentals, it was totally predictable.
The same people who are bitching and tagging on social media are the one renting their villas for 500 USD/night. :devilish:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Also, the beach in the video (las ballenas) was cleaned up by early morning.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That's nice. But.. it shouldn't have needed others to clean it.
Agree, but that's the DR.

In an ideal world, I would agree....But , a large gathering of young people with food involved (in styrofoam) AND alcohol will yield the same results whether it s DR or not.
I don't even think the beach had enough garbage cans for the amount of people present.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
As unfortunate as it may be, it keeps some folks employed
who might otherwise be out doing bad things to put food on
the table.

I personally know someone,a woman, who was "employed" doing that, they made a non-liveable wage (8k a month or less if I recall), had to be on the beach at 4 -5 AM and the best part...were "fired" before the 3 months was up, then re-employed when the next batch was nearing 3 months.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Agree, but that's the DR.

The day after a music festival in the US.

1617665640221.png

Not a generational thing, Woodstock was a mess as well :oops:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Yes, she did, but never more than 3 months as to avoid liquidacion pay (could be 2 months I can't recall, she did 2 rounds and found another job).

That's still sad that she had to work for almost nothing and got fired so that they wouldn't have to pay her more.

I'm guessing that a company won a contract for the cleanup and that's how they make $.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Being right here in Las Terrenas, I would say this SS2021 wasn't the worst ever. Of course there is a large amount of trash, but the new mayor is very efficient & it was all clean by mid-morning on Sunday. Of course I 100% dislike the noise, but then what can we expect if we stay in a beach town during Semana Santa? On a personal note, I am tremendously enjoying my soundproofed apartment in those occasions (!!!) The Covid thing? Either they all die, or it doesn't transmit the way they say on TV, because nowadays here, people don't really wear masks anymore, and there is no more social distancing. But I am not seeing people getting sick. (disclaimer, I am not a doctor!) I would say the biggest issue Las Terrenas is having with massive influx of Sto Dgo tourists is the transit. Not enough space for those huge jeepetas to cruise & park. That is the real big problem. And about noise issues, now Dominican youths start to react on social medias against gringos because they want to protect their noisy lifestyle. Basically, it's either you embrace it, or shut up about it, or you are told to go back to your country. I expect some more conflicts on that level.