Cigar export boom; Americans buying up 100%+

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Cigars-Cigar-Aficionado-e1618321559921.jpg

Cigar Aficionado reports there is a boom in premium cigar imports to the United States. This is good news for the Dominican Republic, a major cigar exporter. As reported, in January 2021, the Cigar Association of America said nearly 21 million handmade, premium cigars were shipped to the United States, up 55% over January 2020.

The growth was the largest for the Dominican Republic. As reported, January’s Dominican cigar exports to the US more than doubled over the same month in 2020, soaring from 2.4 million premium cigars to 5.9 million.

Read more:Cigar Aficionado

13 April 2021

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

DonDimi

Nov 28, 2016
I stuck to Cubans. No country can beat them.
Cigars of habanos. Best supplier.
Everyone is in title of there opinion of course , but "no country can beat them " is a very bold claim ..... and yes maybe 20 years ago by far Cuba was the best and elitist producer of cigars ..... now a days its totally different picture with RD over all being on top of the list not to mention Nicaragua . One thing to keep in mind is that most of the Cuban cigar families left long time ago and moved here to RD or Nicaragua. Cheers Mate

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I just speak of 30 years smoking. All my friends and family in Europe agree on it.
It could be that Americans are accostumed to the DR and Nicaraguan taste of cigars because of the restricciones.

But anyway, I just express a personal opinion I might not have been clear enough about this, sorry if you understood me wrong.

Some like rum, some like cognac, some like European cars Japanse American etc.
Having lived in the DR for ten years and close yo Santiago I always tried to find ways to get my Cuba R&J, Partagas and Hoyo.

DonDimi

Nov 28, 2016
I just speak of 30 years smoking. All my friends and family in Europe agree on it.
It could be that Americans are accostumed to the DR and Nicaraguan taste of cigars because of the restricciones.

But anyway, I just express a personal opinion I might not have been clear enough about this, sorry if you understood me wrong.

Some like rum, some like cognac, some like European cars Japanse American etc.
Having lived in the DR for ten years and close yo Santiago I always tried to find ways to get my Cuba R&J, Partagas and HoHyo.
Hola Mate, if you are ever in Santo Domingo give me a buzz ,we can have some great smoke together 8297933399 Dimi

Have a super fantastic day

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I stuck to Cubans. No country can beat them.
Cigars of habanos. Best supplier.
Santiago is the center of the global cigar industry for a reason.

I'm not a smoker, but that's common knowledge. DR has surpassed Cuba as producing the best cigars in the world.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hola Mate, if you are ever in Santo Domingo give me a buzz ,we can have some great smoke together 8297933399 Dimi

Take him to the Arturo Fuente Cigar Club. Like I said before, I'm not a smoker but one time I went there and nice is an understatement.

Edit: This is the place.

qpAtoP.jpg

Reactions: DonDimi

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Santiago is the center of the global cigar industry for a reason.

I'm not a smoker, but that's common knowledge. DR has surpassed Cuba as producing the best cigars in the world.
Nals. That’s because of the Americans that for decades couldn’t smoke Cubans. Believe me, no DR cigar van beat a Cuban R&J, Partagas E2, not to speak of a Cohiba siglo 6.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Hi I’ll do that. I am with my BIL sometimes who lives on the malecon. Is that in your neighbourhood?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Take him to the Arturo Fuente Cigar Club. Like I said before, I'm not a smoker but one time I went there and nice is an understatement.

Edit: This is the place.

qpAtoP.jpg
Take him? You are joking. I have been there a dozen of times with my friends.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Nals. That’s because of the Americans that for decades couldn’t smoke Cubans. Believe me, no DR cigar van beat a Cuban R&J, Partagas E2, not to speak of a Cohiba siglo 6.
your opinion.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am too intelligent to pollute my lungs , but my father, grandfather, and uncles all smoked cigars, and even the American ones somehow managed to find Cubans. Like said earlier my father preferred filipino cigars, My uncle Fred, born and lived all his life in Maine loved to smoke anything he could get his hands on and he liked Mexican cigars. My uncle Doug prefered Cubans, but liked Central American tobacco as well. Only thing I ever smoked was Gitanes, Drum tobacco, and lots of pot, back in the 1970s. I tried Kinnikinnick as well.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Speaking of Cohiba...

On another note:

"It may be the best-kept-secret about the vaunted Cuban cigar: It's often not that good."

"Each year, Cigar Aficionado, the leading industry magazine, publishes a list of the top 25 cigars in the world. Last year, the number one cigar was the Montecristo no. 2, which is made in Cuba. But only two of the remaining 24 also came from the country.
By contrast, 11 were from the Dominican Republic..."

"The trend has less to do with the deterioration of the Cuban cigar than it does with the improvement of cigar production and quality elsewhere. But it's also incorrect to assume all Cuban cigars are exceptional. "Just because a cigar is Cuban doesn't mean it will be a high-quality cigar," Savona said."

"The real problem with Cuban cigars today is inconsistency within individual boxes, according to industry experts. For unclear reasons, boxes tend to come with duds, or sub-par cigars, and sometimes many."

"That inconsistency, Shindler explains, is something people forgive when a product has the kind of reputation Cuban cigars do. But the favorable treatment won't last forever, much less if the aura fades as relations normalize."

qpWXyP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DonDimi

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
" 'I love Cuban cigars,' you say to your friend, assuming it's Cuban because it's so good. 'That's not a Cuban, my friend,' he replies 'We're smoking Dominican Republic cigars tonight.'

Your jaw almost drops to the floor, because you had no idea there were great Dominican cigars out there. The reality is that Dominican cigars aren't so different from Cuban cigars. And with the exceptional Quality Control and aging, some times, Dominican Cigars go on and beyond some Cuban Cigars.

After all, the Spanish started manufacturing cigars in Cuba for just one reason: the climate. The Dominican Republic shares the same climate as Cuba, so the difference is negligible. Dominican Republic is responsible for providing the wrapper for one of the Best Cigars out there: Fuente Fuente Opus X. A vast variety of Dominica Tobacco is produced by some companies like La Flor Dominicana at La Canela farm, All the Dominican Montecristo Cigars are produce in the island, just to name a few."

Reactions: bob saunders

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
“ 'We have cigars from Arturo Fuentes coming from Honduras and the Dominican Republic that are just as good, if not better than Cubans,' said Larry Olivarez, owner of L&J Cigars."

"In 2012, Cigar Aficionado Magazine named Flor de Las Antillas Toro, a Dominican cigar, the best in the world. Cohibas from Cuba were named No. 2."

" 'Some Cubans are just crap. The few I’ve had are miss-rolled and just poor quality,' said a man rifling through cigars in the L&J humidor room. Still, he says that if the shop begins carrying them, he’ll probably try one or two."

" 'Everybody’s going to come in and want to try them because of the reputation that Cuba has the best cigars,' Olivarez said. 'But I don’t think they’ll go back to them.'

Reactions: bob saunders