Ministry of Environment acts against those found violating Law 64-00

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Orlando-Jorge-Mera-Twitter-682x1024.jpg

The Ministry of Environment reports it has sent to justice 475 people for committing environmental crimes. Most of the arrests have been made for illegal logging and extraction of materials from river basins and forest fires. Environment Minister Orlando Jorge Mera has said from day one he will enforce Environmental Law 64-00.

Other cases are violations of permits or expired permits, river pollution by dumping waste, illegal fishing, charcoal ovens, noise pollution, beach pollution, removal of the soil layer with heavy equipment, illegal commercialization of species, and solid waste pollution.

In addition to these infractions, the National Environmental Protection Service (SENPA), a dependency of the Ministry of Environment, reported another 30 cases for violation of Law 64-00 in different provinces of the country.

“As temporary administrators of Law 64-00, we will...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Charcoal ovens, I'm afraid I don't know just what that is. Not for home cooking?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Charcoal ovens, I'm afraid I don't know just what that is. Not for home cooking?
The wood collected from trees illegally cut down is partially burnt in pits referred to as charcoal ovens to create charcoal for sale. The Haitian forests gave been devastated by this type of illegal tree cutting and charcoal production.

The new administration wants to prevent further deforestation of DR forests. You can views the charcoal oven fires at night in the hills in certain DR campo areas. Everyone knows about it but it was ignored by the Environment Agency for years. Illegal charcoal is readily available for sale in many campo towns and very much in demand.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
The wood collected from trees illegally cut down is partially burnt in pits referred to as charcoal ovens to create charcoal for sale. The Haitian forests gave been devastated by this type of illegal tree cutting and charcoal production.

The new administration wants to prevent further deforestation of DR forests. You can views the charcoal oven fires at night in the hills in certain DR campo areas. Everyone knows about it but it was ignored by the Environment Agency for years. Illegal charcoal is readily available for sale in many campo towns and very much in demand.
Thank you.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
One of the 3 rivers beginning the pollution collection worldwide attention is Rio Ozama here in DR

Snap10.jpg

It is such a shame to see this level of pollution in a country with so much potential
The anti-corruption campaign is important but I think this has a higher priority for me

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Quite a few years ago, someone had a charcoal oven on a vacant lot in my development. It was quickly extinguished.

Does this environmental law apply to lands filled in for housing in public park wetland areas?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Windy. From
Quite a few years ago, someone had a charcoal oven on a vacant lot in my development. It was quickly extinguished.

Does this environmental law apply to lands filled in for housing in public park wetland areas?

Windy. From the little I know about DR environmental regulations,I would say no. Developers seem to have Carte Blanche when it comes to the clearing of land regardless of where it is. If they or the site workers see an opportunity to make a quick buck burning and selling the cleared trees for charcoal, they will take that route.

I’ve seen degraded wetlands in many areas during my beach walks. Mostly sediment infill from uncontrolled highway runoff during construction or heavy rainfall.

What I find a bit ironic is, a few resorts make the effort to protect their wetlands or mangrove areas and use it as an opportunity to educate the tourists about the value of these areas.

Educating DR government environmental inspectors and getting them to enforce the regulations is a very different matter. The few I’ve met are appointed politically and have minimum education. They have little power and spend a lot of time approving potable water well drilling applications.

Part of the problem, I think, is DR wetlands are seen primarily as mosquito breeding areas. In a country where malaria, dengue, etc. is a major health hazard, I understand their mindset.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My question was about a former mayor of Cabarete who had hundreds (probably in the thousands) of trucks fill dumped in a public park wetland area and then sold "title" of that new land to the current residents.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
My question was about a former mayor of Cabarete who had hundreds (probably in the thousands) of trucks fill dumped in a public park wetland area and then sold "title" of that new land to the current residents.
The gist of my previous post is still
applicable whether it’s in filling or removal of wetlands. He was obviously well connected politically. Even if there were regulations in place, he found a way to get around them. Backfilled wetland is not the type of land I would put residential concrete foundations on and expect them to remain stable.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The gist of my previous post is still
applicable whether it’s in filling or removal of wetlands. He was obviously well connected politically. Even if there were regulations in place, he found a way to get around them. Backfilled wetland is not the type of land I would put residential concrete foundations on and expect them to remain stable.
His connections were also financial and eventually landed him in jail. Embezzling millions of dollars (USD) has a way to make you able to get things done in the DR. Like filling in El Choco wetlands and then colleting money for "titles".

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
His connections were also financial and eventually landed him in jail. Embezzling millions of dollars (USD) has a way to make you able to get things done in the DR. Like filling in El Choco wetlands and then colleting money for "titles".
As the Muslims say, “It was written”. He reaped what he sowed or dumped in this case. Nice to know there is a god. 😆

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As the Muslims say, “It was written”. He reaped what he sowed or dumped in this case. Nice to know there is a god. 😆
However, the people who purchased fake titles built houses in public wetland area. Many houses. A lot of houses.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
However, the people who purchased fake titles built houses in public wetland area. Many houses. A lot of houses.
Sad. Is the government considering eviction? Did they seize the mayor’s financial assets to help the home owners? Do the home owners have any legal options? Are the houses stable or are the experiencing foundation problems? I expect the government to turn a blind eye given the scale of the problem.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Sad. Is the government considering eviction? Did they seize the mayor’s financial assets to help the home owners? Do the home owners have any legal options? Are the houses stable or are the experiencing foundation problems? I expect the government to turn a blind eye given the scale of the problem.
There were a lot of houses flattened by the powers that be in La Cienega recently. Could be that these were the houses in question. As for the ex-mayor, his family still seem to be well off. They own a lot of property in Cabarete.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Environment Minister Orlando Jorge Mera

Gente vende Combustible frente al mar en Bancos de Arena
I would like your comment to be more informative: Show some statistic that show some numbers that support your comment.

• Haha
Reactions: bienamor