Gun License Renewal / New Rules

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Anybody renewed their gun license since mid-March?

This is the link for the new rules https://mip.gob.do/solicitud-de-renovacion-de-licencia-de-porte-y-tenencia-de-armas-de-fuego/

Now you have to start the renewal with filling the Pre-aprobation application online. You have to go to the notary and make a 'Declaracion Jurada' where you explain the reasons why you need a firearm. You must have it notarized and then 'legalized' and you also have to attach some supporting documents that show why you need it.

You also need to do the drug and alcohol test, you need to do it on the same day when you submit the online payment for it. Then you need to go to the firing range and get a certificate that you are capable of using your firearm properly. Then you need to go to do a psychiatric evaluation, and do it not later than 2 days after the drug and alcohol test.

Then you need to do the ballistic check.

On top of that, you need a 'buena conducta' certificate, and if you were residing in another country during last 5 years, you also need a police report from that country, apostilled by a Dominican Consulate.

All of that listed above, you must do during 5 days, or your application will be automatically cancelled and you have to submit it all again.

And only after that, IF they approve your renewal, you can actually pay for the renewal and go get your license, IF they give it to you, because you have to bring originals of all documents submitted to them, so they will review them again.

This is CRAZY. Yes, it's not about getting a new license. That's the new rules for the annual renewal. I doubt if any Dominican is actually capable and willing to do all of that every year. They complained that only 50,000 of 238,000 gun owners were renewing on time. Probably now they will get 0 of 238,000 renewing on time.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think the word is "onerous". How can you pass a psychiatric exam if you have to lay off drugs and alcohol prior, not to mention passing the firing range with the DTs. I can see if this was once every 4 or 5 years but you are right, no one will do this annually.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I think the word is "onerous". How can you pass a psychiatric exam if you have to lay off drugs and alcohol prior, not to mention passing the firing range with the DTs. I can see if this was once every 4 or 5 years but you are right, no one will do this annually.
Well said Chico. And how does one convince a psyc doc [who is probably against it in the first place] that it's just fun to shoot once in a while, or even go hunting.
I have seen AR's and AK's in some sportfishers for the more vicious game fish. Personally I used a little 410 to dumb them up before boating. Don't want to freek out those Philildelphia laywers ya know.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
man that does seem cumbersome. Guess I will just keep using my 9 iron and garden shovel for protection.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
man that does seem cumbersome. Guess I will just keep using my 9 iron and garden shovel for protection.
Well now......from Amazon I just got my new plastic flare gun, and delivered right to my house by aero pac...its in the armory with my baseball bat, machete, military survival knife.........

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Well, my renewal is later this year.... I appreciate if some legal gun owners on this board who already renewed their licenses after the new rules went into effect, share their experience here. Or, maybe somebody is in the process now? If you don't want to share this kind of info in public, PM me please. Thanks.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A friend of mine reports that he had to travel to Santiago for the Psych exam a few days ago. Cost was $RD 2000.00.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
My biggest concern is that Declaracion Jurada where you have to declare your reasons why you need a gun and provide documents justifying that. In case of business owners it's easy, just say you own a company and provide documents and tax reports. What about others? What about people who don't work at all?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Isn't this for renewal of licences that have expired? Do you have to go this whole procedure to do the annual renewal if it hasn't expired?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
beeza, it would appear this is the new normal for annual renewals. Another example of Govt making it tougher for legal gun owners, while the criminals just opt out as usual. You would think this will just encourage more to let their license lapse rather than bring more expired licenses back into compliance. Maybe harder and more expensive works. The old process was already an annual chore, that took time, a fair amount of $$$ and a trip to SD from far away (for some owners). Easier and more convenient was obviously too much to hope for.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
beeza, it would appear this is the new normal for annual renewals. Another example of Govt making it tougher for legal gun owners, while the criminals just opt out as usual. You would think this will just encourage more to let their license lapse rather than bring more expired licenses back into compliance. Maybe harder and more expensive works. The old process was already an annual chore, that took time, a fair amount of $$$ and a trip to SD from far away (for some owners). Easier and more convenient was obviously too much to hope for.
If that's the case, I'll sell my pistol and get a shotgun. no more renewals. I never leave the house with my gun anyway.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
If that's the case, I'll sell my pistol and get a shotgun. no more renewals. I never leave the house with my gun anyway.
Just don't forget that in order to get a shotgun you have to go thru the same pre-approval procedure first, and they may just decline your application. If you finally get your shotgun, then yes, no renewals (as for now), but who knows what else they invent in the future. I am starting to think that this Government is much worse than PLD. Many things they do don't make sense at all.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
thats the point more $$$

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I don't know what's their point, but they just force 238.000 legal gun owners to become illegal gun owners, and that's the only result they can achieve with these new renewal rules. And on top of that, they will lose the revenue from all possible renewals, people will just stop renewing their licenses at all and keep their guns.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I don't know what's their point, but they just force 238.000 legal gun owners to become illegal gun owners, and that's the only result they can achieve with these new renewal rules. And on top of that, they will lose the revenue from all possible renewals, people will just stop renewing their licenses at all and keep their guns.
yes if you keep you guns without renewals they are illegal.... and then if you use that gun to protect yourself or home... you will go to jail...and then your money will be taken.... the end result is the bad guys will have most of the guns.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Hmm, no more replies... I remember there used to be a lot of legal gun owners on this message board. Not anymore? Or nobody wants to share their experience of renewal under new rules?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
If you have been legal and now illegal due to new requirements, just calm down and hold on and see what happens in 6 months.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
If you have been legal and now illegal due to new requirements, just calm down and hold on and see what happens in 6 months.
I am legal, as I said before, my renewal is later this year, I just want to know what to expect during the renewal and what documents they really want to see, and when to start the renewal and how long it really takes now. If nobody wants to share their experience, I will just go to MIP myself in a month or two and just ask them what exactly they want.

If you don't have a gun and a license here and have no idea what it's all about, why post your replies here? I am asking legal gun owners, others may post in threads like this one: https://dr1.com/forums/threads/safety-for-dr1ers.397450/#post-5593403

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
I'm due 1st week in August. It's already an arduous yearly schlep to the Capital and if they are going to add all the x-tra BS I'm out, will sell the hand gun, keep the escopeta & call it a day. One day soon Ill call and ask if the new rules are really there to stay..

Reactions: Eugene_A

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A friend of mine reports that he had to travel to Santiago for the Psych exam a few days ago. Cost was $RD 2000.00.
I was told during a call to the MIP the day of my previous "vacation" starting on DR1 that the only place to get the psych exam was in Santo Domingo. I specifically asked about Santiago and Puerto Plata and I was told there was no one there to do it. ONLY in Santo Domingo. So I am interested on more information on who can do them in Santiago.

I was also told that the shooting range approval was not a requirement in the new regulations. Then why are they a requirement in the new regulations?
This is after all, the DR... Why would the information be correct?