Flying home from the DR to Canada and using the land border option first hand experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Then I guess it's masks and Covid tests forever, because Coronavirus/Sars will never be eradicated. Or maybe it just becomes another flu that people die from anyway. Things to ponder....Hmmmm....
Then I guess it's masks and Covid tests forever, because Coronavirus/Sars will never be eradicated. Or maybe it just becomes another flu that people die from anyway. Things to ponder....Hmmmm....
No Karma ..anti vaxers who are staunch dead against vaccine will have a come to god moment like it or not..this isn’t going anywhere for a while...

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Interested in knowing more about getting the J & J shot. How did you go about that? Did you take a cab? Where to? Cost for cab?

Looked online, Publix advertises that they have the vaccine and accept walk ins. It changes daily. Cab was $25 each way.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Much has been said about how and what can be done. I'll give my experience.

Left POP to Miami. Flight was totally full. Had to show the negative Covid test, did the one at CMC for $4400 RD b/c it only took 30 min.

Overnight in Miami. Miami airport is busy. Not all the shops are open but most are and line ups for every one from the grab and go to the restaurant. - mostly because I know Miami and there is an easy place to get a US PCR test. $150, right across from the Holiday Inn.

Flight to Charlotte. Also full. Airport is totally slammed, barely room to walk around. Why Charlotte? because you can walk into many pharmacies and get a J&J Covid vaccine. One and done. No cost, no line up, out in 25 min.

Flight to Buffalo. Because it was last at night, it was full of snow birds connecting from all over. Annoyance - pre booked a cab to Canada, but the cab never showed. Ended up taking a normal taxi to the Rainbow Bridge then walking over. An hour long wait in the taxi line up. The walk over the bridge is beautiful at night. A few other straggles walking over with me.

Customs - Fairly relaxed. I already filled out the arrivecan app so they were expecting me. No test upon arrival, but they gave me 2 home tests to complete. Was supposed to verify that I made it too my place of quarantine, but the app already knew that I did, so I'm pretty sure it's tracking me. Daily have to check in on the app.

Not as bad as I had expected, but not exactly comfortable. Worth the upgrade with so many flights.
OMG !!!!! WHY did you need all of THIS???!!!

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Maybe because he needed to get to Canada and there are no Canadian flights from the DR, nor covid vaccinations on demand in Canada such as in US pharmacies.

But WHY to travel to DR with all this trouble, headache and problems???!!!
Just WHY??!! WHY??!!
Even from our FLL with its 2 hour long flight we waited several months to see that it is safe!
OMG !!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya

alke

Apr 7, 2021
Dominican Republic
Just WHY??!! WHY??!!
Even from our FLL with its 2 hour long flight we waited several months to see that it is safe!
OMG !!!!!!
Not everyone travels on your timeline. I, personally came down in November. In my opinion, it is safer in the D.R then it is in Canada (re:covid). I too will be looking to return, and would be thrilled if I could get a J & J shot on my layover in the US. My intent is to fly into Toronto airport though but I would like to have been vaccinated in the US prior to arrival. Cheers

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Just WHY??!! WHY??!!
OMG !!!!!!
While at one point he travelled to the DR, his post is relating to leaving POP to get to Canada.
There are no Canadian flights leaving the DR at the moment.

Some people have families, properties and businesses in the DR and Canada.
There are various reasons why someone needs to return.
Family illness, deaths, documents, Dominicans who are PR in Canada, whose PR card has now expired stuck in the DR and no US visa for travel.

A lot of international travel is not tourism related.
Covid and various international government restrictions have affected many after 1.2 years.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Not everyone travels on your timeline. I, personally came down in November. In my opinion, it is safer in the D.R then it is in Canada (re:covid). I too will be looking to return, and would be thrilled if I could get a J & J shot on my layover in the US. My intent is to fly into Toronto airport though but I would like to have been vaccinated in the US prior to arrival. Cheers
I agree,
We travelled to the DR in November, only flight available AC- PUJ.
I returned, wife stayed in DR.
In many ways one is better off in the DR than Canada, even with restrictions in the DR more fun, better life/weather and re:covid.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Just WHY??!! WHY??!!
OMG !!!!!!
We came in mid October way before the Canadian government started to punishing innocent people. We have to go back to Canada by mid June. Just hoping the silliness is over by then.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The OP listed all the reasons for the convoluted trip

Knew where get the test in MIA.... Cdn entry
Knew how to get the J&J in Charlotte
Finished off w/ a shuffle to Buffalo

All well planned & executed - seems to me

Not for everybody perhaps..... but custom suited for the OP

WELL DONE !!!

Getting my wife's car from Canada to the US was snap either... nor cheap
But I did it.....

As we said in the Biz School.... the 6 'P' rule
Proper Planning Prevents P!ss Poor Performance

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
The OP listed all the reasons for the convoluted trip

Knew where get the test in MIA.... Cdn entry
Knew how to get the J&J in Charlotte
Finished off w/ a shuffle to Buffalo

All well planned & executed - seems to me

Not for everybody perhaps..... but custom suited for the OP

WELL DONE !!!

Getting my wife's car from Canada to the US was snap either... nor cheap
But I did it.....

As we said in the Biz School.... the 6 'P' rule
Proper Planning Prevents P!ss Poor Performance

Thank you. It was an effort, but achieved all my goals.

Just wanted to share so that others can use the knowledge.

Aug 21, 2007
Fly in through Seattle. They give the J&J free. Just tell them that you have no insurance. That’s what we did.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just meaning that proof of vaccination should exempt individuals from further testing and quarantining as well as flight restrictions, at arrival either in host or home country.
Being vaccinated will not be used in the US that way since the US is not going the way of the "vaccination passport" according to its POTUS.
Testing will be required to enter the US instead.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
The US is getting quite creative with their shots given their supply. Waiting for one of their airlines to offer the Pfizer shot with the purchase of a ticket. Would rather not wait 105 days for my second shot as is the Canadian way.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The US is getting quite creative with their shots given their supply. Waiting for one of their airlines to offer the Pfizer shot with the purchase of a ticket. Would rather not wait 105 days for my second shot as is the Canadian way.
I have seen stories that many vaccines are going to waste in the USA, so now anyone can get one if they find a place that has them. It seems almost everyone who wants them in the US has gotten them.

Status
Not open for further replies.