COVID in Haiti

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I hope this stays this way - I remember the conversations around India about how well they did during the first wave of COVID

I don't see the why as a great mystery.
There is very little international ingress to Haiti, due to its desperate situation.
Isolation in this case helps.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I don't see the why as a great mystery.
There is very little international ingress to Haiti, due to its desperate situation.
Isolation in this case helps.
not to be negative but....Haiti is to leaky a vessel to put hope in..........

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I agree. Very interesting.
not to be negative but....Haiti is to leaky a vessel to put hope in..........
Yea -- I had a good two hours perhaps of good news - there hasn't been ANY good news out of Haiti since 2010, as far as I can remember.... https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article251407183.html

In India - they have run out of wood for the funeral pyres - and are simply dumping bodies into the Ganges.....

I understand that the Sinovac is available in the DR.. Anyone know about Haiti?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Yea -- I had a good two hours perhaps of good news - there hasn't been ANY good news out of Haiti since 2010, as far as I can remember.... https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article251407183.html

In India - they have run out of wood for the funeral pyres - and are simply dumping bodies into the Ganges.....

I understand that the Sinovac is available in the DR.. Anyone know about Haiti?

I just put a 24 y/o guy on a bus back to Haiti this morning. He doesn't understand what a vax is.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
You really believe Haiti’s gov “official” numbers?

People get sick everyday in Haiti, but there’s no place to go and be taken care of.
Then there’s the stigma for the entire household of letting be known one of them is sick with Covid, which would pretty much shut them out from going anywhere to earn the day’s meal.

There are no tests, no ICUs, no COVID beds to recover.

The numbers of sick in Haiti is akin to those in the DR, due to the influx of travelers to the country on the early stages of the pandemic.

Each day people die in Haiti without their names even jotted down on any official count.

3,000 extra deaths in Haiti in one year is nothing new there. Nobody keeps a real count.

Add to that the median age of the population is about 22 years old. The ones dying are the ones that always die first.

Haitians now have an outbreak of la gripa…
Until a deadlier strain which attacks young ones comes about.
Let us hope it never happens!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
You really believe Haiti’s gov “official” numbers?

People get sick everyday in Haiti, but there’s no place to go and be taken care of.
Then there’s the stigma for the entire household of letting be known one of them is sick with Covid, which would pretty much shut them out from going anywhere to earn the day’s meal.

There are no tests, no ICUs, no COVID beds to recover.

The numbers of sick in Haiti is akin to those in the DR, due to the influx of travelers to the country on the early stages of the pandemic.

Each day people die in Haiti without their names even jotted down on any official count.

3,000 extra deaths in Haiti in one year is nothing new there. Nobody keeps a real count.

Add to that the median age of the population is about 22 years old. The ones dying are the ones that always die first.

Haitians now have an outbreak of la gripa…
Until a deadlier strain which attacks young ones comes about.
Let us hope it never happens!
Haiti has some very odd but v.good things that operate - there are folks that still get regular payments for government service under Duvalier.. There are functionaries who walk about the countryside asking questions and writing down numbers. It is not that they can't COUNT the number of folks who are dead/dying -- etc - it is just that they can't do anything to stop it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Scroll down to see Haiti's requirements. It's hard to say if these are enforced only at the airports or it also includes official border crossings.

CARIBBEAN: COVID TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS​