Dominican time breakdown

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
We’re all familiar with many of the words for the time of day in the DR. But there are certain conditions on when you can use each to denote the exact time span of the day you’re pointing towards.

Mañana:
1-Can mean the next day after present day
2-Can mean any hour of the morning but only between 6 am and 11:59 am
3-*Can mean any hour from 1 am to 5:59 am*
*(I know 😋is a bit confusing this one)

Mediodía:
1-Can mean the time span between exactly 12 pm and 12:59 pm during Midday
2-Can mean exactly and only 12:00 Noon

Tarde:
Can mean anytime in between 1 pm and 6:59 pm

Noche:
Can mean anytime between 7 pm and 12:59 pm

Medianoche:
Can mean exactly at 12 am midnight.

Madrugada:
Can mean anytime between 1 am and 5:59 am

Amanecer/Alba:
1-Can mean the exact time of Sunrise
2-Can mean Dawn

Noche/Anochecer:
Can mean Night, Evening / Nightfall, Dusk

Atardecer/Ocaso/Crepúsculo:
1-Can mean Sunset
2-Can mean Late Afternoon

Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
On the word "ahorita". I was going to make this posting about a week ago and never got around to it. Story: My foreman in the states is from Guatemala. A couple of months ago I asked him when we would be going to lunch. He said "ahorita". Always thinking "later" as I knew it in the DR. I said what time? NOW he says it means "now". So last week I say to my GF "what time we having dinner".... I say I'm not hungry now.
Long story short we discuss the word and she says, ahorita is used differently here than in some other latin american countries. (that's quite a difference). So, what's the story??

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Great. Now define these: 1. En el camino 2. ahora 3. ahorita

I always feel tricked when someone uses one of these terms.

En el camino:
1-Can mean an action which will be executed within the time frame of performing another one(s) but could be carried out before or after the scheduled for the trip.
2-Can mean at any given point during a process

Ahora:
Can mean Now

Ahora mismo:
Can mean Right Now/This Moment

Ahorita:
Can mean Later and/or as soon as the current action is finished

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
En el camino:
1-Can mean an action which will be executed within the time frame of performing another one(s) but could be carried out before or after the scheduled for the trip.

Ahora:
Can mean Now

Ahora mismo:

Ahorita:

So ahorita really means between now and death?

Reactions: Lobo Tropical

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Or la otra semana. (Seems to mean next week.). I say la proxima semana just to be clear. Same with otra vez. I say la otra vez antes if I mean the other time before. Not the other time that will come.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
On the word "ahorita". I was going to make this posting about a week ago and never got around to it. Story: My foreman in the states is from Guatemala. A couple of months ago I asked him when we would be going to lunch. He said "ahorita". Always thinking "later" as I knew it in the DR. I said what time? NOW he says it means "now". So last week I say to my GF "what time we having dinner".... I say I'm not hungry now.
Long story short we discuss the word and she says, ahorita is used differently here than in some other latin american countries. (that's quite a difference). So, what's the story??

I have a childhood friend from Ecuador and we would always talk about this when growing up.

He would say ahorita is the shortened version of ahora so to please stop confusing him about what time we were meeting up to hang out. Ahorita meant right away to him.

:)

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
En el camino:

Ahora:
Can mean Now

Ahora mismo:

Ahorita:
Those words are somewhat a guideline or suggestion.
Like DR traffic "laws".
People will do it when and if they feel like it, or not at all after many promises.

In business with professional people one is somewhat more hopeful.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I had a friend who often said Si si Mañana. Meaning, Ya right tomorrow. Meaning never. It was his way of being sarcastic.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have a childhood friend from Ecuador and we would always talk about this when growing up.

He would say ahorita is the shortened version of ahora so to please stop confusing him about what time we were meeting up to hang out. Ahorita meant right away to him.

Exactly .lol

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
En el camino:

Ahora:
Can mean Now

Ahora mismo:

Ahorita:
"can mean" is like saying "may mean", which my experience has shown me is very often the case

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
In business with professional people one is somewhat more hopeful.
Except when it comes to doctors... There are a few medical professionals who I have witnessed (and having a family, I have witnessed quite a few in 3 different cities) having arrived or attending you exactly when they themselves said they would.... For this reason, we just simply prepare ourselves for one full day for any medical stuff that we need to take care off... Problem and nerves solved... if we're home before sunset, it was a success...

• Love
Reactions: bienamor

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Same in Mexico. It meant right away or in just a minute. Here, it seems to mean "in a while", or "a little bit later" - which could be a couple hours later!