Probably Nots

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
I accrue; I accrue. But there's PROBABLY NOT a homeowner's insurance policy that exists or I can trust.

I have a hankering for gulab jamun. But there's PROBABLY NOT an Indian restaurant in the capital. Years ago, in Gazcue, there was a meditation center that had wonderful (vegetarian only), Indian cuisine. That was 10 years ago. It's probably history.

A few years ago, a member advised on the best bakery. It was "Noah" on El Conde. Sure the Red Velvet cake they made for me cost RD$2,500 but it was equal to anything I could find in the U.S. and worth every peso. Now, the bakery section at Villar Hermanos is typical. Everything looks better than it tastes. Good but not great. There's PROBABLY NOT a bakery in the capital equal to "Noah's."

I have built a coop and I'm keeping a young flock (one month old) of jabao azul y amarillo. I would like to compare notes but there's PROBABLY NOT another member on the forum keeping chickens. I do belong to a forum backyardchickens.com but that's in the U.S. and they can't help me with D.R. chicken stuff.

I'm an amateur microscopist. In fact, I paid for an extra ticket for an extra seat ("Cabin Baggage) for my $3,000 Zeiss microscope. Any other amateur microscopists here? PROBABLY NOT. (I've been thinking about scraping some lichens from some of the stones of the 500 year old buildings, searching for tardigrades).

I found some great viveros that y'all recommended. But none have roses. There's PROBABLY NOT any nurseries in the capital that sell roses.
I hope that some of you will tell me that one or more of my PROBABLY NOTS are PROBABLY NOT true and can give me some positive answers.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Zeiss is top of line optical products. I have a pair of their binoculars and a rifle scope. Super products! All the other stuff "not"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Probably much more likely to connect on those topics on Facebook's DR related pages. DR1 is far more limited.

As the son and grandson of a baker, we have better baked goods on the north coast than I have seen in Santo Domingo and in Villar Hermanos in particular which does look better than it tastes.

Reactions: JD Jones

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Zeiss is top of line optical products. I have a pair of their binoculars and a rifle scope. Super products! All the other stuff "not"
I owned the only Zeiss anti reflective coating facility for prescription eyeglass lenses in the northeast United States for many years, they had egg heads from Germany in our plant every month inspecting our process and procedures and we had to send them samples from our daily production for their testing every day. There are no better lenses and coatings in the world than Zeiss optics.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I owned the only Zeiss anti reflective coating facility for prescription eyeglass lenses in the northeast United States for many years, they had egg heads from Germany in our plant every month inspecting our process and procedures and we had to send them samples from our daily production for their testing every day. There are no better lenses and coatings in the world than Zeiss optics.
good stuff aint cheap, cheap stuff aint good

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Yes, Zeiss is one of the oldest if not the oldest optical companies. In fact, two of its former technicians, Abbe and Koehler, invented two of the features that are found on modern LM's, the Abbe condenser and Koehler illumination.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Re: "all the other stuff not" the other big names in microscopy, sometimes called "The Big Four" are Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, and Olympus. My first microscope was a Nikon AlphaPhot2 (1990's) and it had excellent optics. In amateur microscopy there is a lot of love for some of the older Olympus scopes for their sturdy and elegant design.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
OP: I PROBABLY found a great place for cakes. It's not a bakery. It's a coffee shop. It's called Aqua Mundo (weird name) and it's at Sambil, the lower level as you enter from the main entrance on Kennedy, adjacent to the escalator when you descend.

I've been going there for a couple of years as that's where I pick up my Vimenpaq packages. The coffee is very good and the service is excellent. You order from the counter and do not pay in advance. They ask you to take a seat, they serve you, and you pay when you are ready.

They have just added a new refrigerated unit of whole cakes. I had a piece of the Red Velvet for RD$ 150 and it was very good, a little on the dry side, but a properly made traditional Red Velvet cake. The entire cake costs RD$ 1550.00, so I think I'll be going back soon.