Accommodation rental in Piantini (or vicinity)

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Hi all, moving to DR as soon as paperwork is done. Wrapping my head around what accommodation we will be able to find, as we cannot come to DR on an orientation visit (thanks for nothing Covid!). I would prefer a house HOWEVER I have no idea if such are available in Piantini (husband's office will be near Blue Mall) or how far out we would need to go to start finding houses. Our budget is of course not limitless - so if anyone could give an estimate of what house rentals are like in Piantini - or the closest area that does have more houses, that would give me an idea. My last resort would be an apartment/condo - but a terrasse would be important to me. I have tried googling rental sites, but they are mostly aimed at holiday rentals - or are in Spanish, which don't like Chrome. sigh. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
DON'T RENT IN PIANTINI! I live in Naco (just next to Piantini), and there's a bad smell in the air in the whole area here (in Piantini too) every day for a few hours, when the wind blows from the North where Duquesa garbage dump is located.

Sometimes it smells like rotten garbage, sometimes like burning garbage, sometimes like cow shlt (yes, they have cows and pigs on that dump too).

If I was renting, I would move to another area, unfortunately I own my place and it's not a good time to sell it now.

This garbage smell problem is over the year here and it will not go anywhere in the near future, it only gets worse every month. Sometimes it smells that bad that I want to throw up.

This is the picture taken from the dump, you can see high-rises on the horizon, Naco is on the left, Piantini is on the right side. You can actually see Blue Mall tower on this picture.

duquesa-1_16107480_20210404134225.jpg

Try to rent in the area closer to the sea, they have lower elevation and you can't feel this Duquesa smell there (yet).

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
DON'T RENT IN PIANTINI! I live in Naco (just next to Piantini), and there's a bad smell in the air in the whole area here (in Piantini too) every day for a few hours, when the wind blows from the North where Duquesa garbage dump is located.

Sometimes it smells like rotten garbage, sometimes like burning garbage, sometimes like cow shlt (yes, they have cows and pigs on that dump too).

If I was renting, I would move to another area, unfortunately I own my place and it's not a good time to sell it now.

This garbage smell problem is over the year here and it will not go anywhere in the near future, it only gets worse every month. Sometimes it smells that bad that I want to throw up.

This is the picture taken from the dump, you can see high-rises on the horizon, Naco is on the left, Piantini is on the right side. You can actually see Blue Mall tower on this picture.

Try to rent in the area closer to the sea, they have lower elevation and you can't feel this Duquesa smell there (yet).
I am in Bella Vista and never noticed the smell.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I am in Bella Vista and never noticed the smell.
Bella Vista is much lower. South of 27 de Febrero it goes lower gradually to the sea level. So there's no bad smell in Bella Vista, but here in Naco or Piantini it smells really bad almost every day for a few hours now.

You can clearly see on the photo why the smell goes with the wind to Naco and Piantiny, they are in direct line of sight from the dump.

But if it will continue like this (and of course it will), it's only a question of time when it will start to smell that much that you will notice that in Bella Vista too.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Bella Vista is much lower. South of 27 de Febrero it goes lower gradually to the sea level. So there's no bad smell in Bella Vista, but here in Naco or Piantini it smells really bad almost every day for a few hours now.

You can clearly see on the photo why the smell goes with the wind to Naco and Piantiny, they are in direct line of sight from the dump.

But if it will continue like this (and of course it will), it's only a question of time when it will start to smell that much that you will notice that in Bella Vista too.
July I am leaving the city if they don’t shut down domestic travel that is.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
July I am leaving the city if they don’t shut down domestic travel that is.
I'll move to the resort area too, I'll still drive to SD for a few days when needed, I'll keep my place here for a few years, but the traffic and air pollution in the city came to the point that I don't want to stay in SD permanently.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I'll move to the resort area too, I'll still drive to SD for a few days when needed, I'll keep my place here for a few years, but the traffic and air pollution in the city came to the point that I don't want to stay in SD permanently.
As you said not a priority it seems for the government

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

How old is that picture?

Because this is Duquesa now:

1622675712194.png

Just sayin'

Last edited:

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
How old is that picture?

Because this is Duquesa now:

View attachment 4530

Just sayin'
It still smells like that after they reported that the 70% of the dump is fixed and posted that picture that you just posted. Actually, the next day after they reported it, the smell was so strong that I could not open any windows to let some fresh air in during all evening.

So they virtually fixed it, but in reality it still smells and you can feel it in Naco and Piantini almost every day, usually in the evening when the wind direction changes.

The point of my picture was to show that Naco and Piantini is in the line of sight from the dump, that's why you can feel the smell here but you can't feel it in some lower areas like Bella Vista. And even if 70% of the dump looks different now, the rest of it is the same and all "buzos" who burn the electric cables are still there, that's why some days it smells like rotten garbage (after the rain especially) and other days it smells like burning garbage (when they burn cables there).

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Any ideas whether there are houses in Piantini, Naco or Bella Vista? are house prices in these areas astronomical? My budget is around USD4500- 5500 a month, or would apartments be my only option? Is the traffic from these areas to around the Blue Mall hectic?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
You're looking to pay $4500 to $5500 dollars a month for rent? You can get some pretty fancy digs about anywhere in the city for that kind of moolah.

I'd guess you can get something high and within walking distance of Blue Mall. Houses will be tough though. They are being torn down and towers replacing them like crazy.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Don't mention that to anyone or rents will mysteriously go up on anything you look at.
:). Yeah, I figured as much. We have lived in a few developing countries and know some things are a little more complex. My main question is really if there are actually houses in these areas at that price point. Where I have lived before the rentals in the more upmarket areas in semi-decent houses (that have decent landlords) cost waay more than this budget... hence the reason I am wondering what the price point is. There is no use for me to set my mind to a certain area and then find my budget is totally unrealistic for that area. (for example in Accra, Ghana if you want a house with airconditioning in a "good" area you will pay nothing under USD6000 per month AND you pay your rent 3 years in advance - on and you have to repaint the entire inside of the house when you move out! - so nothing surprizes me anymore)

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
You're looking to pay $4500 to $5500 dollars a month for rent? You can get some pretty fancy digs about anywhere in the city for that kind of moolah.

I'd guess you can get something high and within walking distance of Blue Mall. Houses will be tough though. They are being torn down and towers replacing them like crazy.
Alas, I figured as much. Houses per square meter are not nearly as income-generating as an apartment block. The husband will just have to commute a little further I fear.... or we compromise somewhere inbetween. Thank you

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
:). Yeah, I figured as much. We have lived in a few developing countries and know some things are a little more complex. My main question is really if there are actually houses in these areas at that price point. Where I have lived before the rentals in the more upmarket areas in semi-decent houses (that have decent landlords) cost waay more than this budget... hence the reason I am wondering what the price point is. There is no use for me to set my mind to a certain area and then find my budget is totally unrealistic for that area. (for example in Accra, Ghana if you want a house with airconditioning in a "good" area you will pay nothing under USD6000 per month AND you pay your rent 3 years in advance - on and you have to repaint the entire inside of the house when you move out! - so nothing surprizes me anymore)
I have always been a "house" kind of guy so I know what you mean. I am living in an apartment now but I still check the classifieds
frequently to see what pops ups.

One of the problems you run into here is when you find a house, it only has about a foot or two of space between it and the neighbors
house.

Houses with a hundred sq. mt. of yard are hen's teeth-very difficult to find.

Take a look at this link. I did a search for houses to rent furnished or unfurnished near the center of the city. Most of the
Arroyo Hondo homes would be a fairly quick trip into the city.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnTheRoadAgain
May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
I have always been a "house" kind of guy so I know what you mean. I am living in an apartment now but I still check the classifieds
frequently to see what pops ups.

One of the problems you run into here is when you find a house, it only has about a foot or two of space between it and the neighbors
house.

Houses with a hundred sq. mt. of yard are hen's teeth-very difficult to find.
I've been living in a Parisian apartment where there is about a foot or two between the kitchen and the bedrooms... :) .... The thought of actually having space again makes me borderline giddy (and I have a dog, which let's face it is just a little less fun in an apartment where you gotta go "walkies" 5x a day). BUT a fab apartment sure beats a crumbling house too. BTW, I see the word "condo" used - is that the same as an apartment or is there a distinction between the two. ie. one is just a building with housing, whereas the other has shared facilities like a pool, gym etc? Apologies for the 20 questions.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I've been living in a Parisian apartment where there is about a foot or two between the kitchen and the bedrooms... :) .... The thought of actually having space again makes me borderline giddy (and I have a dog, which let's face it is just a little less fun in an apartment where you gotta go "walkies" 5x a day). BUT a fab apartment sure beats a crumbling house too. BTW, I see the word "condo" used - is that the same as an apartment or is there a distinction between the two. ie. one is just a building with housing, whereas the other has shared facilities like a pool, gym etc? Apologies for the 20 questions.
"Condo" is a catch-all phrase here but is usually an apartment in a small cluster of apartments, i.e. not a tower. Usually 3-5 floor buildings without elevators.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
"Condo" is a catch-all phrase here but is usually an apartment in a small cluster of apartments, i.e. not a tower. Usually 3-5 floor buildings without elevators.
Thanks, I imagine I would need to visit both to decide... 5 floors and no elevator sounds about right for Paris, surely no fun when the humidity is a million percent.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Thanks, I imagine I would need to visit both to decide... 5 floors and no elevator sounds about right for Paris, surely no fun when the humidity is a million percent.
The law here states anything higher than 4 floors has to have an elevator but it's seldom the case. I've seen buildings with ground-level parking and 5 floors of apartments without an elevator.