Numbered Moto Vests and Disarming the Public starts on the Same Day?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
And street lights too! Wonder if all those workers on bikes get to work? Wonder how many guns got turned in?
Wonder if this is close to the biggest .
. I'm sorry but really...cluster F of all time.
Btw...it's 5:25 and everything is closed.
Don't forget to go out to the after hours places for your vaccination.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lawyers always say things like that because they want you to believe that you need a lawyer and you (or your friend) will hire them to represent you. The only thing where a lawyer can help here is to help you with that that Declaracion Jurada and/or supporting documents. Then you submit all the documents online, there's just no place for a lawyer in the rest of the process. You submit the documents, they approve them or they deny them.

You need to do that Declaracion Jurada in front of a notary anyway, so it can be your lawyer's notary.

And yes, I believe that it will be really difficult this time, I'll see when I try renew mine.
As you mentioned, a lawyer is REQUIRED in this case because of that motarized statement , and only lawyers can be notaries in the DR.

The lawyer I spoke to was very frank about not taking money in an effort that would be a waste of time as he described how difficult renewals are going to be from now on. The government wants to remove weapons from everyone, there is little motivation to renew existing licenses.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
By the way, many legal gun owners in Santo Domingo are mensajeros, that type who work for lawyers or some companies, they always drive around the city on their motos with a bag with some documents or money.... they are also the ones who always renew their license on time, because they carry the gun daily and they get stopped by police frequently. The thing is that most of them work unofficially, so what can they put in their Declaracion Jurada? Just state the fact that they work as mensajeros with no supporting documents at all. Will MIP cancel all their licenses because being mensajero is not a reason to have a gun now? I don't think so. The same is about taxi drivers. We will see what happens later this year when more people will complain.
If they, the messengers, work "unofficially" without proof of their jobs, they are likely going to be screwed with regards to renewing a pistol license. Part of the renewal phase is a "discovery" process to determine undeclared income. That was described to me by a lawyer as part of this new plan.

Taxi drivers will have a valid reason to continue to have a pistol license.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
As you mentioned, a lawyer is REQUIRED in this case because of that motarized statement , and only lawyers can be notaries in the DR.

The lawyer I spoke to was very frank about not taking money in an effort that would be a waste of time as he described how difficult renewals are going to be from now on. The government wants to remove weapons from everyone, there is little motivation to renew existing licenses.
Public Notary is required. That's it. You don't have to hire a lawyer for any of the procedures.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
If they, the messengers, work "unofficially" without proof of their jobs, they are likely going to be screwed with regards to renewing a pistol license. Part of the renewal phase is a "discovery" process to determine undeclared income. That was described to me by a lawyer as part of this new plan.

Taxi drivers will have a valid reason to continue to have a pistol license.
The income level has nothing to do with the level of risk of the job and chance of being robbed. If the messanger says that his income is 25,000 pesos a month, he doesn't have to declare it or pay any income tax at all. But if the same time he has to deliver envelopes with thousands of dollars to deposit to the bank on behalf of the office he is working for, his life is in danger because of that. So he can be poor but he still needs a gun. Actually, he has more risk than the owner of the big company siting in his office with 10 armed guards downstairs.

The same is with self–employed photographers, for example, who have to move around the city with the equipment that costs a lot and is a magnet for robbers, but they may make less money than the amount that has to be declared.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I actually agree with you on the point that it MAY BE some kind of discovery of an undeclared income in some way, because the resolution (the one that the new rules are based on) says that MIP will check every 2 years with DGII that a gun owner's impuestos are paid. Where's no clarification what impuestos.... if those that are annual license fees, why the hell check them with DGII, MIP has every payment on file.... if they talk about gun owner's income tax, WTF it has to do with the gun license?

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
They will not remove weapons from criminals anyway, so their intentions will only make things worse. As I said before, the MIP Minister has to undergo an IQ test.

By the way, read this, that doctor said the right thing: https://www.diariolibre.com/revista...rma-de-fuego-y-explica-sus-razones-LD26708120
The PN routinely shoot and kill know armed thugs. It just does not get much publicity. They shoot and maim all kinds of (alleged) criminals. A friend of mine, PN Coronel found that his son had been out after curfew, had gotten mouthy and another ON gave him a crack on the knee for his troubles, requiring multiple trips to the hospital for treatment. The Coronel did nada to the other PN and gave his son a warning.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
The PN routinely shoot and kill know armed thugs. It just does not get much publicity. They shoot and maim all kinds of (alleged) criminals. A friend of mine, PN Coronel found that his son had been out after curfew, had gotten mouthy and another ON gave him a crack on the knee for his troubles, requiring multiple trips to the hospital for treatment. The Coronel did nada to the other PN and gave his son a warning.
What they shoot is a drop in the ocean. And actually, 99% of PN are the same armed thugs from the same barrios, just uniformed. If I read the news saying PN shot some thugs, or if I read the news saying some thugs shot some PN, it's the same good news for me, saying that some thugs were killed. I don't see any difference if they were uniformed or no.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
What they shoot is a drop in the ocean. And actually, 99% of PN are the same armed thugs from the same barrios, just uniformed. If I read the news saying PN shot some thugs, or if I read the news saying some thugs shot some PN, it's the same good news for me, saying that some thugs were killed. I don't see any difference if they were uniformed or no.
That's a nasty attitude. PM me a copy of your cedula and I'll be happy to ask some PN to come by and re-educate you LOL

Reactions: Neargale

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
That's a nasty attitude. PM me a copy of your cedula and I'll be happy to ask some PN to come by and re-educate you LOL
Half of the country has the same feelings to PN. Nobody respects them, nobody likes them, nobody trusts them.

You can go and give your PN friends some nice rimjob if you love them that much. I don't care. If you don't like my opinion, you may just ignore my posts.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Public Notary is required. That's it. You don't have to hire a lawyer for any of the procedures.
A Public Notary? You are wrong. In the DR, you have to be a Lawyer first to be a Notary.
So it will ALWAYS be a lawyer that is used to notarize documents for use in the DR like the Declaracion Jurada now needed to attempt to renew a pistol license.

Not all lawyers also become notaries.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The income level has nothing to do with the level of risk of the job and chance of being robbed. If the messanger says that his income is 25,000 pesos a month, he doesn't have to declare it or pay any income tax at all. But if the same time he has to deliver envelopes with thousands of dollars to deposit to the bank on behalf of the office he is working for, his life is in danger because of that. So he can be poor but he still needs a gun. Actually, he has more risk than the owner of the big company siting in his office with 10 armed guards downstairs.

The same is with self–employed photographers, for example, who have to move around the city with the equipment that costs a lot and is a magnet for robbers, but they may make less money than the amount that has to be declared.
You are missing the point, it isn't about finding people who make money under the limit for being taxed, but if your Declaracion Jurada should reveal a business previously running "under the table" with substantial currently untaxed income, you have now exposed yourself in the Declaracion Jurada. A lawyer, like the one I spoke to , can help you understand this if you still don't.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They will not remove weapons from criminals anyway, so their intentions will only make things worse. As I said before, the MIP Minister has to undergo an IQ test.

By the way, read this, that doctor said the right thing: https://www.diariolibre.com/revista...rma-de-fuego-y-explica-sus-razones-LD26708120
Dr. Cruz Jiminian may or may not be allowed to keep his firearm. It depends upon if living in (or near) a dangerous barrio is sufficient reason to be allowed to keep it. I suspect that alone is not a necessary and sufficient reason. I hope he has additional reasons in his Declaracion Jurada. Time will tell how this all plays out with renewals.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I actually agree with you on the point that it MAY BE some kind of discovery of an undeclared income in some way, because the resolution (the one that the new rules are based on) says that MIP will check every 2 years with DGII that a gun owner's impuestos are paid. Where's no clarification what impuestos.... if those that are annual license fees, why the hell check them with DGII, MIP has every payment on file.... if they talk about gun owner's income tax, WTF it has to do with the gun license?
Indeed this is about "Discovery" as a lawyer pointed out to me in no uncertain terms. "Taxes" in this case refers to anything the government was previously aware of , or just became aware of that need to be paid because of the justification for owning a firearm just exposed that in the Declaracion Jurada as a reason for having a firearm.

Other issues like unpaid parking tickets and fines will show up annually in a police report which is needed every year to renew a firearm.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If you pay a special fee can you get a special number, like # 1 or # 7...how about the number your favorite basketball or baseball player's number or....wait for it.... who gets # 69 ?
That guy might get a bigger tip ?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A Public Notary? You are wrong. In the DR, you have to be a Lawyer first to be a Notary.
So it will ALWAYS be a lawyer that is used to notarize documents for use in the DR like the Declaracion Jurada now needed to attempt to renew a pistol license.

Not all lawyers also become notaries.
I think what Eugene meant to say that if you look for a notary that person also does the regular legal stuff.

There are tons of lawyers on this island but there are very few notaries comparatively speaking.

Most people here latch onto a lawyer who was recommended by someone, and that lawyer just says there's a small charge for notarizing.

If everyone went to notaries regular lawyers would be put out of business.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think what Eugene meant to say that if you look for a notary that person also does the regular legal stuff.

There are tons of lawyers on this island but there are very few notaries comparatively speaking.

Most people here latch onto a lawyer who was recommended by someone, and that lawyer just says there's a small charge for notarizing.

As I read it, Eugene said a Public Notary with no mention of that person also needing to be a lawyer in the DR.

The individual can create their own documents, simply have the declaration notarized by a lawyer that is a notary and then legalized at the Procuradoria before submitting them to the MIP via email attachments along with all the other documents after paying for the application and hoping for the best.

While I generally avoid lawyers like the plague, In this case a I prefer a bit more information on what could actually work, as well as what could work against me, for that justification letter because that is what is going to decide if an application is rejected for many if not most people who currently have pistols, and then your gun is removed from your possession. It is apparent this is a real effort by the government to disarm anyone without what the government considers to be a real need to own a pistol. You only get one chance on this.

Reactions: JD Jones

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018

It would be nice if bank officers could/would be notaries. Pop in do your business and be on your way.
Odd to that people complain about laywers .. till they need one.

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It would be nice if bank officers could/would be notaries. Pop in do your business and be on your way.
Odd to that people complain about laywers .. till they need one.
I have excellent reasons to complain about lawyers. Both here and in my home country. In this situation, I have a choice not to use one for anything but notarization.

Unlike my residency renewals and my naturalization where I only needed legal translations, for new regulations where you have only one chance that have no public examples of what works successfully, a lawyer could help. Time will tell.