Electrical wiring robbery at Barahona Port; operations are paralyzed

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Puerto-de-Barahona-RebuDiario-e1603200014588.jpeg

A major robbery at the facilities of the newly-remodeled Barahona Port, early on Monday morning (7 June 2021) affected its operations. The vandals stole the wiring system that gives energy to the machinery that lifts the freight containers unto the cargo ships.

According to an El Nuevo Diario source, operations at the dock terminal were shut due to the lack of energy. The incident is causing millions in losses to Belfond Enterprise, the calcium carbonate exporting company that contracted for the remodeling of the port.

Read more in Spanish:El Nuevo Diario

8 June 2021

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The thieves will only continue to steal wire as long as there are places that will pay them for their pilfered items. Maybe it time to identify and fine out of existence those places buying obviously stolen wire from people who have no justification for having it in the first place. The same for metal manhole covers and possibly stolen toilet seats as there are so many of those missing too.

Reactions: drstock

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The thieves will only continue to steal wire as long as there are places that will pay them for their pilfered items. Maybe it time to identify and fine out of existence those places buying obviously stolen wire from people who have no justification for having it in the first place. The same for metal manhole covers and possibly stolen toilet seats as there are so many of those missing too.
Excellent idea. It makes you wonder how so many of them can remain in existence. (Ahem)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Excellent idea. It makes you wonder how so many of them can remain in existence. (Ahem)
Add used auto parts dealers (head lights, mirrors and batteries) to the list as well.
Welcome to the Lion's Den.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Makes you wonder if they have security guards and CCTV cameras. I would think this will be solved in a day or two.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Add used auto parts dealers (head lights, mirrors and batteries) to the list as well.
Yup

Lost both my mirrors in SD one night - Colonial Zone

$300US to replace
They tried my wheels but they have protection - screwed on caps
(bought car from an SD resident- he was prepared)

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I like the idea that there is a black market in toilet seats!

• Haha
Reactions: nigrarosa

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I went to a parts store in Puerto Plata looking for a new rear window wiper after mine was stolen. The guy at first said they didn't have one, then said to wait while he checked. He was gone a long time then came back with one, which he kindly offered to fit for for me. When I got home and looked at it closely I could see that it was not new, after all. My guess is that he went to the supermarket car park behind the store, helped himself to one off a parked car and sold it to me!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I went to a parts store in Puerto Plata looking for a new rear window wiper after mine was stolen. The guy at first said they didn't have one, then said to wait while he checked. He was gone a long time then came back with one, which he kindly offered to fit for for me. When I got home and looked at it closely I could see that it was not new, after all. My guess is that he went to the supermarket car park behind the store, helped himself to one off a parked car and sold it to me!
I hate to say it but you could be 100% correct.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If you know the right people, you can usually buy back the ones that have just been stolen if you're quick