Importing a car to DR

DrewTX

Jul 28, 2009
Houston, TX
THANK YOU Playacaribe2 !!

I was not clear on the 1 year rule - for some reason I thought it might not apply.
So my intention was to trade both our existing vehicles in for a RAV4, and then pay the RAV4 off quickly. I was forgetting that we'd need to own the RAV4 1 yr before shipping. We are hoping to move in about 6 months - so that 1 yr requirement would be a problem.
If we decide to bring a car then I guess it will have to be either existing vehicles that we have had on lien since December 2019. (And pay off lien before shipping).
So the '1 year ownership' clock would have started when we purchased the cars (on lien) in December 2019?
Or does the clock start when we actually pay off the lien?

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Give a lot of thought as to ...if you really need one here....look into the Quality of car insurance here....inDriver and Uber and the bus... in many cases the cost of the car is just the beginning..thats why my 6 year old sonata y20 has about 22k miles on it............

Reactions: DrewTX
Jan 9, 2004
THANK YOU Playacaribe2 !!

I was not clear on the 1 year rule - for some reason I thought it might not apply.
So my intention was to trade both our existing vehicles in for a RAV4, and then pay the RAV4 off quickly. I was forgetting that we'd need to own the RAV4 1 yr before shipping. We are hoping to move in about 6 months - so that 1 yr requirement would be a problem.
If we decide to bring a car then I guess it will have to be either existing vehicles that we have had on lien since December 2019. (And pay off lien before shipping).
So the '1 year ownership' clock would have started when we purchased the cars (on lien) in December 2019?
Or does the clock start when we actually pay off the lien?

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.
You might still be able to pull it all off.

As an example, trade your vehicles for the RAV4 (I caution you that vehicles (used or new and especially used) are commanding premium prices.....and that might work in your favor as you have two to trade.

While you are hoping to move in 6 moths, you do not necessarily have to bring your vehicle in immediately to avail yourself of the returning Dominican tax regimen. I believe you also have a month window just like residency. So hypothetically if you traded shortly and your move was in 6 months.......and you had a 6 month window for your wife to import..............you would be there.

You could also move to the DR wait and apply for residency in your name and then import your car/household goods. The point is none of these things has to be done immediately upon moving to the DR.......but there are likely timelines on your wife to take advantage of the returning Dominican tax reduction scheme for an auto.

A number of ways to accomplish this...........but your plans would need to be more firm.

Finally, the clock starts for purposes of Aduana with the registration data of your vehicle............not the day a lien is released.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

DrewTX

Jul 28, 2009
Houston, TX
How long have you owned each one? Your concern about the timeline may be irrelevant.......because the paperwork alone............takes time.
We have a 2018 Kia Soul and a 2017 Mazda3 Wagon.
Both owned since December 2019.
Both have outstanding liens.
We would sell one in US.
Then bring the other one to DR (payoff lien first).
But I am not clear if '1 year ownership clock' starts when we original got the car (December 2019), or when we finally pay off the lien (June 2021). If it is the latter, then we would have to wait to June 2022 before we could ship it :-(

DrewTX

Jul 28, 2009
Houston, TX
Finally, the clock starts for purposes of Aduana with the registration data of your vehicle............not the day a lien is released.
Ah, OK, this is good to know :)
Both our current vehicles (with liens) the Registration Date is December 2019. So we are good there. (over 1 yr, could even be 2yr by the time we move)
If we bought a RAV4 today, then Registration would be 6/2021 and we would have to wait to 6/2022 to import.
OK - understood - thank you!

... hmm ... verses we buy a used car from a reputable source when we arrive in DR ... :unsure:

DrewTX

Jul 28, 2009
Houston, TX
Give a lot of thought as to ...if you really need one here....look into the Quality of car insurance here....inDriver and Uber and the bus... in many cases the cost of the car is just the beginning..thats why my 6 year old sonata y20 has about 22k miles on it............
Yes - this is a very good point thank you. I feel like we will need a car but that is me coming from a USA perspective. Hard to know for sure until we've settled in. I would totally be OK with an older car (e.g. 2010+)

Jan 9, 2004
We have a 2018 Kia Soul and a 2017 Mazda3 Wagon.
Both owned since December 2019.
Both have outstanding liens.
We would sell one in US.
Then bring the other one to DR (payoff lien first).
But I am not clear if '1 year ownership clock' starts when we original got the car (December 2019), or when we finally pay off the lien (June 2021). If it is the latter, then we would have to wait to June 2022 before we could ship it :-(
Ah, OK, this is good to know :)
Both our current vehicles (with liens) the Registration Date is December 2019. So we are good there. (over 1 yr, could even be 2yr by the time we move)
If we bought a RAV4 today, then Registration would be 6/2021 and we would have to wait to 6/2022 to import.
OK - understood - thank you!

... hmm ... verses we buy a used car from a reputable source when we arrive in DR ... :unsure:
Buying or importing is always a personal choice. Whatever works best for you.

If you hypothetically bought the Rav4 this month and your time frame to move is 6 months, then your wife could apply to bring the car and the window to do this is another 6 months to actually bring it here.............that works.

In the mean time you could, if locating in a major city, use Uber/Apollo taxi/Emi taxi, etc.

There are, contrary to belief, lots of reputable dealers.............however that does not always mean that because they are reputable their cars are too........even they can be fooled..........which is why I prefer to import my personal vehicles, where I know the history/maintenance etc.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

DrewTX

Jul 28, 2009
Houston, TX
Official document: Partial exemption of motor vehicle taxes of Dominicans and foreigners who come to reside in the country
Sorry, there does not appear to be any way to link to this directly.
To find the original go to: https://www.aduanas.gob.do/servicios/importacion/
Then, under 'DEBE SELECCIONAR UN SERVICIO PARA VER LOS DETALLES DE MISMO' drop-down box,
Then select 'Exoneration parcial de impuestos a vehiculo de motor de dominicanas y Extranjeros que viened a residier al pais'
(It is a long drop-down list. This 37th item in the list - around half way on the scroll bar)

It mentions 2 forms - which I have not been able to locate.

Also there are 2 parts (I highlighted in red text) that appear to contradict each other. This is probably a result of Google Translate.

** Disclaimer: Translation is via Google Translate - so please do not consider this legally binding!

Partial exemption of motor vehicle taxes of Dominicans and foreigners who come to reside in the country

DESCRIPTION OF THE SERVICE​

It consists of the application of the benefits granted by Law 168-67 for the importation of motor vehicles to Dominicans and foreigners who come to reside in the country in which they are partially exempt from the corresponding levies and taxes. This benefit only applies once.

REQUIREMENT OR REQUIREMENTS​

Explanatory Notes:
• Dominicans, who come to establish permanent residence in the Dominican Republic, after having resided abroad for a minimum period of 2 years or more.
(a) Dominicans who emigrate abroad and who are residents or citizens with dual nationality. (They apply from 1 to 13). They should bear in mind that sumptuous vehicles are not allowed.
• Dominican students, who after having studied abroad for a period of more than 2 years.

a) They must present: the title, certificate or diploma of the university studies carried out, in original and a copy. (Also apply requirements 2 to 13). They should bear in mind that sumptuous vehicles are not allowed.
• Foreigners who have obtained a residence permit in the Dominican Republic. They should bear in mind that sumptuous vehicles are not allowed. See requirements from 2 to 13.
1. Present original residence and a copy of the country where they lived, the passport(s) if you are a citizen, or the naturalization certification.

2. Two (2) copies of the Passport, minimum with two (2) years of validity.

3. Communication requesting exemption addressed to the Director General of Customs.

4. Form F-49 (General Directorate of Tax Legislation of the Ministry of Finance).

5. Single Customs Declaration (SAD).

6. Commercial
Invoice 7. Bill of Lading (BL or AWB), in the name of the owner of the imported vehicle, typewritten, stamped by customs and 3 copies. (With accurate data).

8. Moving Tax Settlement Report Sheet (printer), stamped and signed by Customs.

9. Receipt of payment for the cost of the service, corresponding to the Right of Request for Processing. This receipt is obtained in the Cashier area of the General Directorate of Customs Headquarters. (RD$ 300.00 Dominican pesos).

10. Submit original title and copy proving ownership of the imported vehicle, which must be no less than one (1) year in your position as owner thereof.

11. Letter of Balance of the corresponding financial institution, if the vehicle has been financed.

12. Form 001 (Download Form from the Website www.aduanas.gob.do) and three (3) copies.

13. Form 142 (Download Form from the website www.aduanas.gob.do) and three (3) copies.

Explanatory Note:
- The imported vehicle must not pass the 5 years established by Law 147-00, Law 12-01 and Law 04-07.

- In case the Vehicle Title is less than one year old, you must submit the registration that completes the year of issue. Ensure that the personal data and those contained in the title are the same.

- This benefit applies one (1) per person.

PROCEDURES TO FOLLOW​

The interested party requests an appointment in the Department of Exemptions of the General Directorate of Customs.Explanatory Notes:• The presentation of the law is in person or physically.• It is required to make an appointment to apply to the vehicle exemption.• For the appointment you must have: Tax Settlement Sheet (Printer) Inspected, Bill of Lading (BL / AWB), Passport Copy.

DrewTX

Jul 28, 2009
Houston, TX
Also these comments from an official Community Help DGA account:

*** DISCLAIMER: Google Translated

Community Help DGA6 months
Greetings dear Anghy,
Thank you for interacting with our Help Community. A pleasure to assist you!
In relation to your query, to estimate the approximate amount of the payment of customs taxes, it must be with the CIF tax base (Cost + Insurance + Freight) of the merchandise to be imported. Below, we indicate the percentage of taxes according to the collecting entity:

Taxes:

DGA: Tariff Tax 20%, ITBIS 18%
DGII: First Plate 17%
[My very limited understanding is that folks using Residency would avoid Tariff Tax. But may still be liable for ITBIS (I think this is like a Value Added Tax?). And WOULD still be liable for First Plate]

For more information you can consult the customs tariff on our institutional portal. Tab -Of interest/Queries
In case you need to perform the calculation, you can access our vehicle tax calculator in the tab -Of interest/Queries
[I was unable to find either of these refences. Probably due to my poor Spanish skills!]

In addition, we share information of interest to you.
Law 04-07 prohibits the import of used vehicles with more than 5 years of manufacture, in order to protect the environment and biodiversity, as well as the saving of foreign exchange for the import of fuels, parts and spare parts.

In this case, the calendar year counts from the 1st. from July of one year to June 30 of the next.
-If the vehicle is new, commercial invoice; if it's not new, then the title of it.
-Shipping Documentation (BL)

-Submit the Single Customs Declaration (SAD) attaching the aforementioned documents.
-If the vehicle originates in the United States of America (USA), present a certificate of origin, in order to apply dr. CAFTA tariff preferences.
Restrictions:

-5 years or less of manufacture, as indicated by law 04-07.
-The vehicle cannot be salvage.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bear in mind……unless things have changed…… to get the returning Dominican discount, your wife will have to prove (with her passport or with immigration records) that she had not spent over 6 months in DR in the 2 years prior to the landing of the car.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One more experience of shipping a car. She moved to the USA about 2 years ago (I think it was that long) and moved back to the DR quite recently. Here is her experience regarding shipping her car. Be forewarned she even though she narrates in English, but she has a deep accent that could be difficult to understand by some.

First part (video) is from the end of March and second part from April 2, 2021.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Yes - this is a very good point thank you. I feel like we will need a car but that is me coming from a USA perspective. Hard to know for sure until we've settled in. I would totally be OK with an older car (e.g. 2010+)
I would hold off a while before buying a car... live here first then after a while think about it again... this is not the USA... where I am from in the states you can leave your keys in the car, and your house unlocked...dont even think about that here...........

Jan 9, 2004
Also these comments from an official Community Help DGA account:

*** DISCLAIMER: Google Translated

Community Help DGA6 months
Greetings dear Anghy,
Thank you for interacting with our Help Community. A pleasure to assist you!
In relation to your query, to estimate the approximate amount of the payment of customs taxes, it must be with the CIF tax base (Cost + Insurance + Freight) of the merchandise to be imported. Below, we indicate the percentage of taxes according to the collecting entity:

Taxes:

DGA: Tariff Tax 20%, ITBIS 18%
DGII: First Plate 17%
[My very limited understanding is that folks using Residency would avoid Tariff Tax. But may still be liable for ITBIS (I think this is like a Value Added Tax?). And WOULD still be liable for First Plate]

For more information you can consult the customs tariff on our institutional portal. Tab -Of interest/Queries
In case you need to perform the calculation, you can access our vehicle tax calculator in the tab -Of interest/Queries
[I was unable to find either of these refences. Probably due to my poor Spanish skills!]

In addition, we share information of interest to you.
Law 04-07 prohibits the import of used vehicles with more than 5 years of manufacture, in order to protect the environment and biodiversity, as well as the saving of foreign exchange for the import of fuels, parts and spare parts.

In this case, the calendar year counts from the 1st. from July of one year to June 30 of the next.
-If the vehicle is new, commercial invoice; if it's not new, then the title of it.
-Shipping Documentation (BL)

-Submit the Single Customs Declaration (SAD) attaching the aforementioned documents.
-If the vehicle originates in the United States of America (USA), present a certificate of origin, in order to apply dr. CAFTA tariff preferences.
Restrictions:

-5 years or less of manufacture, as indicated by law 04-07.
-The vehicle cannot be salvage.

Call Aduana directly......do not rely just on their website. Things change and the website is often not updated.

FYI: If your vehicles have as the first digit of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) a 1, 4 or 5, they are US built and qualify for reduced taxes under the trade agreement DR/CAFTA.

Finally, lots of salvage vehicles entering the DR in spite of the law banning their importation. There are several workarounds currently in use.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

DrewTX

Jul 28, 2009
Houston, TX
Many thanks to everybody for all the great help.

Some information I read stated that the Engine Capacity must be 2000 cc (i.e. 2.0 L) or less.
Can anybody confirm this please?
(Toyota RAV4 is 2.4 L)

Jan 9, 2004
Many thanks to everybody for all the great help.

Some information I read stated that the Engine Capacity must be 2000 cc (i.e. 2.0 L) or less.
Can anybody confirm this please?
(Toyota RAV4 is 2.4 L)
I can confirm that is not accurate.................Engine Capacity must be 2000 cc (i.e. 2.0 L) or less.

Engine size IS used as one of the determinants of the taxes owed.

Again, call Aduana directly....do not rely solely on their website......even though you should be able to rely on the information they provide.........the law(s) may have (and have) changed on numerous items.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Call Aduana directly......do not rely just on their website. Things change and the website is often not updated.

FYI: If your vehicles have as the first digit of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) a 1, 4 or 5, they are US built and qualify for reduced taxes under the trade agreement DR/CAFTA.

Finally, lots of salvage vehicles entering the DR in spite of the law banning their importation. There are several workarounds currently in use.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
A lot of salvage vehicles are in this country now...only these were not imported...they were made from wrecked autos...take 3 wrecked autos put the remaining semi good parts together and paint the same color adjust the odometer..and you now have a Dominican 1 owner gently used low mileage car............

QSAGHAR

May 3, 2019
Do you have to have to be a resident to import a car, or can you just use your American passport to take the car out of customs without the residency discount?