Numbered Moto Vests and Disarming the Public starts on the Same Day?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I thought to be a Notary, one must be a Lawyer.
Yes indeed. I won't be using a lawyer to represent me, but I will be using a lawyer to notarize the document needed.

As for the cat being out of the bag, I have wondered for years how many guns and ammunition come into the DR in those Blue Barrels.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
So, that would mean encouragement of illegal pistols.
Well, I guess my subtle sarcasm was too subtle!

Clearly the only way the new regulations are a smart move is if the point of enacting them is to make possession of a legal firearm so difficult that people would choose to give up their handguns.

Perhaps the next time I post something sarcastic I'll have to use the "/s" convention.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
So you need to see a lawyer PERIOD to do a part of the job. That is because all Notaries in the DR are lawyers. Get it yet?

Any other questions?
Man, I was not arguing with you. You have to see Notario Publico to do that part of the job. Yes, technically Notario Publico is a lawyer, you are totally right. They even start their part of the document, YO.... Abogado Notario Publico, blah blah blah. Yes. But nobody here in DR says that for this part of the job you need to see an Abogado, because Abogado can refer to ANY lawyer, and saying that you need a lawyer usually means hiring a lawyer to do some work for you. So in this case, they say that you need Notario Publico for that, and that's what you can see in the screenshot from MIP website that I posted. It clearly states that this part of the job has to be done at Notario Publico. You may call them lawyers, attorneys, it doesn't change the fact how they call them here in DR. They call them Notario Publico here, that's it. I hope you got my point.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Man, I was not arguing with you. You have to see Notario Publico to do that part of the job. Yes, technically Notario Publico is a lawyer, you are totally right. They even start their part of the document, YO.... Abogado Notario Publico, blah blah blah. Yes. But nobody here in DR says that for this part of the job you need to see an Abogado, because Abogado can refer to ANY lawyer, and saying that you need a lawyer usually means hiring a lawyer to do some work for you. So in this case, they say that you need Notario Publico for that, and that's what you can see in the screenshot from MIP website that I posted. It clearly states that this part of the job has to be done at Notario Publico. You may call them lawyers, attorneys, it doesn't change the fact how they call them here in DR. They call them Notario Publico here, that's it. I hope you got my point.
All notarios are lawyers but most lawyers are not notarios.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Clearly the only way the new regulations are a smart move is if the point of enacting them is to make possession of a legal firearm so difficult that people would choose to give up their handguns.
Nobody will give up their handguns. NOBODY. People will just keep them. And if MIP tells you to bring your gun in because your license can't be renewed, what would you do? Report that it was stolen yesterday, that's it. So you can't bring it in, it was stolen. And you keep it in a safe place for a while, in case if they come to look for it, then just continue to carry/keep it illegally. There's also an option to work on a barrel and extractor to change the ballistic print, so if you use it someday, they will not identify it comparing bullets and casings to what they had in their ballistic database when it was legal.

So in general, yes they just encourage to do all these illegal things I just described.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I have excellent reasons to complain about lawyers. Both here and in my home country. In this situation, I have a choice not to use one for anything but notarization.

Unlike my residency renewals and my naturalization where I only needed legal translations, for new regulations where you have only one chance that have no public examples of what works successfully, a lawyer could help. Time will tell.
Well then, I'm feeling the reason for the complaint IS the fact that a lawyer is needed.
Politicians are lawyers and they make the laws. We complain about them too don't we?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Q.E.D

Your own post confirms that the regulations discourage legal possession of pistols.
Yes, but do you think it discourages ILLEGAL gun possession by criminals who don't give a rats a** about obeying the law in the first place. I know plenty of law abiding citizens that have a firearm for protection from the scum out there waiting to assault the law abiding and, if the Gov has their way unarmed citizenry. -

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
The PN routinely shoot and kill know armed thugs. It just does not get much publicity. They shoot and maim all kinds of (alleged) criminals. A friend of mine, PN Coronel found that his son had been out after curfew, had gotten mouthy and another ON gave him a crack on the knee for his troubles, requiring multiple trips to the hospital for treatment. The Coronel did nada to the other PN and gave his son a warning.
Unfortunately there are too many young men either without a father in the house or without one that cares enough to teach them respect, including respect for women.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Proof please.
I'm not going to look for the article, I think it was Dominican Today, where they found just that in a container at the port in Hainna. If they caught that one you have to wonder how many slip through, however I would think Cristorey is correct and that most come from Haiti.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Proof please.
Enjoy.

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well then, I'm feeling the reason for the complaint IS the fact that a lawyer is needed.
Politicians are lawyers and they make the laws. We complain about them too don't we?
The fact that a lawyer is needed has nothing to do with it. I complain about lawyers because of how many times they have proven untrustworthy.
It is very simple.

Now, I just saw a lawyer today to get a document notarized and legalized to deal with an annual license being discussed in this thread. The lawyer also helped with some wording of the document. All the rest is up to me.

Reactions: Eugene_A

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I'm seeing articles that the new gun and motorcycle programs are..."just pilot tests" now.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm seeing articles that the new gun and motorcycle programs are..."just pilot tests" now.
Which makes both of them, and especially the firearms one, all the more ridiculous.
Either everyone goes through the procedures or they don't ....

Reactions: Eugene_A