Life is Good

Aug 21, 2007
I find we all complain here on dr1. Yes, we see the faults in the country, too lengthy to list. But each of us is here for a reason, and I bet that reason is because of something good here.

I would like to start this thread by turning our heads in the other direction and listing why we like living here or what is good about the Dominican Republic. I hope you will join me and add to the list.

1. The weather is good and life is easy.

2. Dominicans have big hearts.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
For us , apart from the
  1. Quality of Life
  2. Cost of Living
It’s the FREEDOM to use your time to do what you want , when you want . “Live and let live “ has worked very well here for us . We don’t go looking for things we don’t want to find . The rule of “ Whatever you do in your own time...and at your own expense .....is your business. “ also works well.

Plus , for us, DR is “neutral territory”......São Paulo🇧🇷 is only 6 hours away for miesposa and the US 🇺🇸is 3 hours ...so both families visit often.....the kids prefer living in 🇩🇴
to 🇧🇷 or 🇺🇸for some reason , so “case closed and DR wins” really.

Reactions: I love Azua

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I like having access to fruits and veggies that were ripened by the sun and picked recently. It is totally unlike the stuff you get in big supermarkets in the "civilized world" that was picked weeks ago when it was hard as a rock and never seems to ripen in a normal way.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Quality of life, quality of life and quality of life.
Cheaper than The Netherlands.
Closer than Thailand.
Less poverty than Cambodia.
Tons of festivals like Louisiana (pre-covid)
Warmer winters than Hungary.
Fresh fruit everywhere and the coffee ain't too shabby either.
In the DR teams play for bragging rights, not money and woke fame like in the USA.
No PC cancel culture is a BIG ONE as everyone has a skeleton or three their closet in this country.
There's too many reasons to name.
I love this place and I plan to continue living here a for a very long time.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Quality of life, quality of life and quality of life.
Cheaper than The Netherlands.
Closer than Thailand.
Less poverty than Cambodia.
Tons of festivals like Louisiana (pre-covid)
Warmer winters than Hungary.
Fresh fruit everywhere and the coffee ain't too shabby either.
In the DR teams play for bragging rights, not money and woke fame like in the USA.
No PC cancel culture is a BIG ONE as everyone has a skeleton or three their closet in this country.
There's too many reasons to name.
I love this place and I plan to continue living here a for a very long time.
Cheaper than Thailand ? Not if you using Santo Domingo in the equation
Local Purchasing Power in Santo Domingo is 33.82% lower than in Bangkok

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Now inflation has come screaming into DR - expect it to be less cheap for the cheapy-cheapies

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've said it before. Here I have always been a big fish in a little pond instead of being a small fish in an ocean.

That translates to all kinds of preferential treatment, most of it enjoyable. :)

I'll never forget the look on my brother's face when I told him I was the Operations Manager of a factory with 2000+ employees. (He was a factory worker himself for years)

I never would have been at that level of management in the states; here I held that position in 3 different companies.

Last edited: