• No, definitely most are not corrupt.

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
An interesting question suggested is:

The average expat is corrupt?

It's a question worthy of wondering about since based on the image of expats created in the forums of DR1 is that many, perhaps most, expats are willing to do certain things in the RD that they would never do in their countries of origin. From paying a "gift" to the National Police to avoid further trouble to dating or having relations with a woman younger than they would never date in North America/Europe, entering the country as a tourist and staying well beyond the accepted 30 days without bothering to request an extension, etc. For some people these are signs of being corrupt since technically no one is forced to do those things.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I voted that most are not corrupt. I am an overstayer and will probably always be one. I don't consider that corrupt given that all you have to do is pay a fine. It's similar to speeding in the USA. Not a big deal.

I also have paid a few pesos in a shakedown. That is their corruption, not mine. It's just easier to do that than to take the moral high ground which doesn't net you anything.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I cant speak for others but I have met Epats that are very honest ethical people and others that are very crooked. Me, I am a follow the rules guy, probably ingrained in me by both my parents and my long military career. Well some of those under 18 girls are pretty hot looking, that's all I do is look. I am married and don't cheat. I did give a " gift" of 500 pesos a few years ago when I made an illegal left turn in Santo Domingo and was caught. I actually didn't know I was making an illegal turn as the sign was blocked by a semi-trailer. I don't know if there is such a thing as an average expat.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
As an overstayer, I refuse to be lump in the same category as a gringo whose dating someone young enough to be his granddaughter. :cool:

Funny how in DR I am an expat where in the US I was just an immigrant (when in reality I was an expat on a work visa), but that's another topic.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I go for definately not. Granted there may be some fugitives from justice from somewhere but they would need to stay below the radar. Then too we must define corruption vs criminal. Generally, one is used to define a government employee or apointee.
A criminal is just that, someone who stands outside the law. Not saying that the first cannot be both though.

Jourgey

Oct 26, 2019
After reading some of these responses, it seems to me that the poster of this thread should have defined "corrupt" since some responders just like to be complete ass wipes and talk shit. How is an older person legally dating someone much younger is corrupt? Please.....

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
An interesting question suggested is:

The average expat is corrupt?

It's a question worthy of wondering about since based on the image of expats created in the forums of DR1 is that many, perhaps most, expats are willing to do certain things in the RD that they would never do in their countries of origin. From paying a "gift" to the National Police to avoid further trouble to dating or having relations with a woman younger than they would never date in North America/Europe, entering the country as a tourist and staying well beyond the accepted 30 days without bothering to request an extension, etc. For some people these are signs of being corrupt since technically no one is forced to do those things.
first of all, most expats, on a relative basis, put considerable money into the economy; second of of all, the few times I have paid a "gift" to a Dominican cop, they have always solicited it first; thirdly, yes I date women who conceivably could be my great-daughter (by Dominican standards), but they are of legal age and I treat them with respect and I am very generous with them and sometimes their family; and lastly, the overstay fees that are paid provide much needed revenue, the nice lady that collects mine every 6 months or so always says "gracias" when she swipes my credit card; why don't you comment about the Dominicano culture of getting 13 year old girls pregnant and abandoning them and the child so they can brag to their "amigos" at the corner "moto stand" or the corrupt culture of this and every other former Spanish colony

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I don't think the average expat is corrupt, just the opposite.
I joke around a lot saying he DR is a sunny place for shady
people but it's been my experience after almost 10 years living
here that most are not corrupt.
The "corrupt"/ low-life expats tend to congregate in places with lots of tourist,
lots of prostitutes or in some cases both.
Sosua and Boca Chica come to mind.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I don't think the average expat is corrupt, just the opposite.
I joke around a lot saying he DR is a sunny place for shady
people but it's been my experience after almost 10 years living
here that most are not corrupt.
The "corrupt"/ low-life expats tend to congregate in places with lots of tourist,
lots of prostitutes or in some cases both.
Sosua and Boca Chica come to mind.

Hey! I resent that!!

Just kidding. I only know 1 expat in Boca Chica besides myself. He is looking to get married to a native and live here. Not shady at all.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Hey! I resent that!!

Just kidding. I only know 1 expat in Boca Chica besides myself. He is looking to get married to a native and live here. Not shady at all.
I spent some time living in Sosua.
It's a nice place to visit but sexpats ain't my crowd.

• Haha
Reactions: Michael DR

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
first of all, most expats, on a relative basis, put considerable money into the economy; second of of all, the few times I have paid a "gift" to a Dominican cop, they have always solicited it first; thirdly, yes I date women who conceivably could be my great-daughter (by Dominican standards), but they are of legal age and I treat them with respect and I am very generous with them and sometimes their family; and lastly, the overstay fees that are paid provide much needed revenue, the nice lady that collects mine every 6 months or so always says "gracias" when she swipes my credit card; why don't you comment about the Dominicano culture of getting 13 year old girls pregnant and abandoning them and the child so they can brag to their "amigos" at the corner "moto stand" or the corrupt culture of this and every other former Spanish colony

Because that is not the topic of the thread and it has been commented many times, he is even called Fausto :devilish:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Because that is not the topic of the thread and it has been commented many times, he is even called Fausto :devilish:
What is an acceptable age difference for you, assuming the woman is of legal age?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What is an acceptable age difference for you, assuming the woman is of legal age?

It's not for me to say but stating how generous one is with her and her family sounds like the person is aware that these opportunities come because of his perceived wealth,status and privileges.

Also, for the record, not all expats treat their Dominicana/o well, many treat theirs like a property or/and in a odd paternalistic way. Others do have children and return to their home country when they get tired of Bachata and Presidente never to be heard again (they just don't brag about it).

Lastly, feeling better about myself for things I would NEVER do back home because I don't act like a 3rd grade educated, poor barrio man/woman is irrelevant.

As WW said, we may need a new word.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
The most of us comes from developed countries, so normaly you don't come in contact with corruption. Now in the DR they are other rules and when you lived here for years i'm sure you have to deal with it. Since decades of years the Dominicans knows of the existence of corruption in all parts of daily live. The most normal are the traffic cops who stops you for checking your papers and so on. How many times I give them 1-200 pesos? I can't count it, but this is normal here.
Really corruption exist in the justice system. One of my SIL was arrested in 2005 while he was driving with to other guys in his car and stopped by the police for a control. For the surprise of my SIL the two guys in his car were searched from the police for various crimes like armed robbery and attempted murder. All three go to prison and it begins a large Odyssey through the justice process. We spend 2 years in various courts and around 25k bucks and the most of this money were paid for buying witnesses, the most of them cops, who declared in the process in favor of my SIL. Even the Fiscal took his money...it's all about the money.
I've have experienced a lot more of corruption in this country, positive and negative, this are the games they play here and when you don't like this, it's better to pack your suitcase and go home.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, I don't consider myself corrupt but I have been obliged to give "propinas" to the corrupt police here. I hate that is is required, but it's one of the things you just have to do to survive here.

Reactions: CristoRey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We're talking about an 'adjustment of values'..... not something corrupt or nefarious

One could argue that as a transplant, if you don't adjust to the 'norms' of society, you will never settle.

Read the thread on ex-pat fatigue
Those who adjust are more settled - happier - than the 'non-adjusted'

Reactions: Garyexpat

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here is a study - and suggestions how to assimilate

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Interesting that overstays and not having the required residency and cedula are legal to so many. Nor do you need a Dominican drivers license nor insurance.

But you insist that you are legal in the D.R. and have no worries. Laws don't apply to you.

How wonderful for you .
I cant speak for others but I have met Epats that are very honest ethical people and others that are very crooked. Me, I am a follow the rules guy, probably ingrained in me by both my parents and my long military career. Well some of those under 18 girls are pretty hot looking, that's all I do is look. I am married and don't cheat. I did give a " gift" of 500 pesos a few years ago when I made an illegal left turn in Santo Domingo and was caught. I actually didn't know I was making an illegal turn as the sign was blocked by a semi-trailer. I don't know if there is such a thing as an average expat.
But..
She's just a little pregnant.