Looking for a quiet living area in Sto Dgo

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Hi all,

This here is the start of an investigation for a possible move for myself & my family to Santo Domingo. Basically, I am looking for a middle-class neighborhood, that is quiet, no loud music, no party. Coming from Las Terrenas, it sounds almost impossible, hence this thread, to get other member's feedback.

Some place (rental), it can be an apartment or a house, 2 bedroom, fiber optic internet, and "no noise", or at least, very quiet. It would be a bonus if there wasn't too much delinquency too.

What is your experience? Is "quiet" something achievable in Sto Dgo?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There are places, but it will depend on other factors. One thing Santo Domingo has much worse than Las Terrenas is traffic! It gets old very quickly.

Having said that, places like Costa Verde (right by the sea), Los Cacigazgos, Bella Vista and others tend to have many quiet areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squat

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
This is really difficult.I live now for 20 years in SD, all the time Eastside. I have Friends in all areas of the capital, and really quiet it's nowhere. The traffic specially in the national district is horrible. Living near the big avenues like 27 Febrero, Kennedy, Maximo Gomez or even the Malecon produce some crazy noise from early the morning to late evening. All Streets are full every time, the normal daily chaos.
I'm thinking contrary to you in the near future to split my live between SD and some nice place at the beach like LT. I'm going older now and want to slow down the life...

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
There are places, but it will depend on other factors. One thing Santo Domingo has much worst than Las Terrenas is traffic! It gets old very quickly.

Having said that, places like Costa Verde (right by the sea), Los Cacigazgos, Bella Vista and others tend to have many quiet areas.
Thanks, I'll look into it. Seems like traffic is the worst. As of rentals, do you think 20K pesos/month would be enough for a decent place in the above mentioned areas?

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
This is really difficult.I live now for 20 years in SD, all the time Eastside. I have Friends in all areas of the capital, and really quiet it's nowhere. The traffic specially in the national district is horrible. Living near the big avenues like 27 Febrero, Kennedy, Maximo Gomez or even the Malecon produce some crazy noise from early the morning to late evening. All Streets are full every time, the normal daily chaos.
I'm thinking contrary to you in the near future to split my live between SD and some nice place at the beach like LT. I'm going older now and want to slow down the life...
Very interesting comment, thanks for sharing! After decades on the north coast, I am trying to escape touristic areas, as folks from the city are coming over to party all the time, and it's getting out of hands, when it comes to noise level... We have a similar problem in 2 opposite setups! Not sure yet about my plans, hence asking you guys about your experience.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
There are places, but it will depend on other factors. One thing Santo Domingo has much worst than Las Terrenas is traffic! It gets old very quickly.

I will second Bella Vista for nice and somewhat quiet. I was never there at night but often during the day. Lots of high rises that look nice from the outside.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Thanks for that frank answer! How much would you say an apartment or house with 2 bedrooms would cost monthly to rent?

To the right of $800.00 USD anywhere in a decent hood in Santo Domingo. In the neighborhoods mentioned; expect to pay at least $1500 to $1800 USD.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
With a Budget of 20K Pesos you can find some apartments around the the national district, perhaps SD east is a area for you. I don't know if you move with children and if there a need for school and what are your priorities.
For a feeling of prices in SD go on corotos and supercasas and search for renting apartment/houses in the different areas.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks both, it helps indeed. I am getting a clearer picture now, it's appreciated.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I lived in Colinas del Oeste for quite a few years. Very quiet and most of the people there are upper-middle-class professionals.

It is an access controlled area and there's a new Bravo supermarket and a Smart Fit center next door.

I don't think you'll find anything there for 20K, but 25-35K is definitely doable.

It may be a little tough to find an apartment there due to the attractiveness of the area.

Here's an example for you. Very nice apartments and only minutes from the center of SD.

And another:

I'm sure if you visit the area and drive through you'll see a few others. It's brand new and I believe there are a few more that are still under construction.

Last edited:

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
What exactly do you mean by 'quiet'? Quiet area is one thing, but don't forget about noise from neighbors. When you live in a tower with 30+ apartments, if you have just one idiot with a big subwoofer in one of the apartments, the whole tower listens to it, because in all these modern buildings you can hear how somebody sneezes three floors downstairs from you.

So if fighting with neighbors is not on your list of hobbies, try to find something in an older building with less apartments and with all interior walls made of blocks, not styrofoam panels. Older condos with older people is a rare find now, but they exist.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
I lived in Colinas del Oeste for quite a few years. Very quiet and most of the people there are upper-middle-class professionals.

It is an access controlled area and there's a new Bravo supermarket and a Smart Fit center next door.

I don't think you'll find anything there for 20K, but 25-35K is definitely doable.

It may be a little tough to find an apartment there due to the attractiveness of the area.

Here's an example for you. Very nice apartments and only minutes from the center of SD.

And another:

I'm sure if you visit the area and drive through you'll see a few others. It's brand new and I believe there are a few more that are still under construction.

JD,

He ain't finding anything within that range anywhere in the DN. Zero possibilities.

Reactions: chicagoan14

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
As others have said, it's nearly impossible to rent an apartment in the DN for that amount. Outside of the DN you'll find a few, but then there is the question of how much you like your car. Up there in the up and coming area around the Majluta Ave (the road that connects to the access of Aeropuerto La Isabela) there are many apartments within that range in quiet settings, but there is the distance to just about everything.

Residential projects created by the Bisonó company outside the DN have a few in that range too or slightly above it. They tend to be in quiet areas. Sometimes the issue may be the surrounding area more than the actual apartment community. They tend to look alike regardless of the project.

If it's important to be in a luxurious area, then skip those Bisonó places.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
To the right of $800.00 USD anywhere in a decent hood in Santo Domingo. In the neighborhoods mentioned; expect to pay at least $1500 to $1800 USD.
$800 USD in Santo Domingo would be tough.
$800 USD in Santiago (not that you're looking) you'd have no problem finding what you are looking for.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
no idea if this area would be noisy or not. https://www.point2homes.com/DO/Cond...NEA-BLANCA-EN-NACO-NO-AMUEBLADO/96834329.html