Best place/price for quick turn around covid testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Yes

I was trying to clarify that Lifeisgreat was commenting that a true PCR test couldn't be done in such a short time at JFK. And that is correct
There are 2 tests required to enter Canada - 1 is the Antigen test when crossing by land - and one is the real DNA PCR test when flying into Canada .
You are confusing things. The Antigen test is needed entering USA and the molecular PCR test is needed entering Canada whether by land or Plane. Following is the Type of molecular PCR test accepted in Canada from the Canadian web site.

These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests: (for entering Canada by plane or land)

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
  • RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
  • Ct (cycle threshold)
  • CRISPR
  • Sequencing
  • Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
  • Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
  • Detection of the N gene
  • Detection of Orf1a/b
  • Detection of the S gene
  • Detection of the E gene
  • Detection of the RdRp gene

And yes this type of molecular PCR test was available at JFK. This was about 1 month ago may have change now. Note if entering Canada by land the molecular PCR test must be taken in the USA- within 72 hours. If entering Canada in transit thru USA(By Plane-without entering USA) then the proper molecular PCR from your departing country is acceptable.

This may all change as the Canadian Government is in talk with the USA about opening the border to/from USA also considering Vaccination. But When only the Prime Minister knows.......do not hold your breath.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
You are confusing things. The Antigen test is needed entering USA and the molecular PCR test is needed entering Canada whether by land or Plane.

Nope - you are incorrect. The Molecular PCR test is not required when entering Canada by land.
I know many who have entered Canada by land and have NOT HAD THE MOLECULAR PCR test.

The Molecular PCR test is only required when entering Canada by plane

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
You are confusing things. The Antigen test is needed entering USA and the molecular PCR test is needed entering Canada whether by land or Plane.

Nope - you are incorrect. The Molecular PCR test is not required when entering Canada by land.
I know many who have entered Canada by land and have NOT HAD THE MOLECULAR PCR test.

The Molecular PCR test is only required when entering Canada by plane
That's not what the Canadian website says, can you post different.

Driving to Canada: COVID-19 testing for travellers​

Alternative: Testing for flying to Canada

On this page​

Getting tested to enter Canada​

Pre-entry test requirements​

All travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship, must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result.

There are no exceptions for vaccinated travellers, at this time.

You must:

• take a test before you leave the United States within 72 hours of your entry into Canada (your test must be performed in the United States)
  • provide one of the accepted types of tests, not an antigen test
  • keep proof of your test results for the 14-day period that begins on the day you enter Canada

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Hey DR peeps

Whats the status there with COVID & with restrictions?

I'm thinking of coming down in early July to Semana.

I have my rabies shots & documentation of such.

Has the Govt lifted the restrictions?

Are bars / restaurants open?

Thanks & Stay Well
all is good, just bring plenty of condoms

alke

Apr 7, 2021
Dominican Republic
Thanks gentlemen. Let me rephrase my question. There are flights to Canada through other countries but I understand that you still need a PCR test to enter even if walking across the border. Where are those available and does anyone know the cost?

What about Spain, Portugal or Italy, just for examples? Thanks
A PCR test from the Dominican can be used to fly into Canada.

A PCR test from the Dominican cannot be used if walking across the border. To walk across the border, the PCR test must be done in the United States.

Reactions: Michael DR

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Hey DR peeps

Whats the status there with COVID & with restrictions?

I'm thinking of coming down in early July to Semana.

I have my rabies shots & documentation of such.

Has the Govt lifted the restrictions?

Are bars / restaurants open?

Thanks & Stay Well
Samana is quiet, but restaurants and bars are open. There is a new flight from Charlotte airport with American Airlines into Samana airport AZS on Wednesdays and Saturdays. If you fly into Santo Domingo, they have inexpensive Covid tests right at the airport with a quick turnaround. If you do not want to wait until the last minute, you can get tested in Samana at the hospital for around $40 USD and they give you the results in about 3 hours.

Patti Shabaga

Mar 3, 2015
Just to clarify, Where can a person get a PCR test in and around Puerto Plata? This is required with the latest restrictions to fly back to Canada. I will be staying in Costambar.
Thanks!

Dec 2, 2020
Toronto, Canada
I have been her in Sosua for over 5 months now, and head back to Canada tomorrow. I had my Antigen COVID test (to get to US), done yesterday at a small lab in the old Orange plaza beside Banco Popular (2,000 RD). I fly JetBlue to JFK airport and have a 5 hour layover before flying from there to Buffalo, then get a cab to border and walk across where a friend will pick me up. There is a lab in JFK airport that does RT PCR test required to enter Canada and they will have the results in under 2 hours ($220 US). This way I avoid an overnight stay in a Buffalo hotel.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I have been her in Sosua for over 5 months now, and head back to Canada tomorrow. I had my Antigen COVID test (to get to US), done yesterday at a small lab in the old Orange plaza beside Banco Popular (2,000 RD). I fly JetBlue to JFK airport and have a 5 hour layover before flying from there to Buffalo, then get a cab to border and walk across where a friend will pick me up. There is a lab in JFK airport that does RT PCR test required to enter Canada and they will have the results in under 2 hours ($220 US). This way I avoid an overnight stay in a Buffalo hotel.
Please post an update on how this all goes. With times, if you don't mind, and anything else that you think might be helpful.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Had a friend do the same at JFK around 3 months ago mid April. When at JFK their was confusion about his luggage tags and had to go to airline desk. At airline desk told employee that he was in a rush because he had to go to other terminal for Canadian PCR test. Employee told him just go outside here there is free PCR test for Canada (for everyone). Went out and after 45 mins received PCR test results on phone......free.

Check it out, let us know if still the same. Sorry I do not have exact details of where in JFK this free PCR test for Canada. If it works for you maybe you can give us more exact details.

Good Luck

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This has been posted here before... perhaps by the person mentioned above

It seems it can be done....

The prior post was the same - last flight to Buffalo.....

Dec 2, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Got back to Toronto early in the morning yesterday. There is no free COVID test for Canadians at JFK. Need to go to Terminal 1 for test. $200US cash or $220US credit card. Results in 30 minutes. I had a 5 hour layover in JFK which was good as I probably spent 3 hours between going to terminal 1 for test, waiting for results and going back to terminal 5 (JetBlue), and going through security (1hour). Took Uber from Buffalo Airport to Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls ($76US). Walked across bridge. Maybe 5 minutes in customs office and a friend picked me up in the Falls.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Got back to Toronto early in the morning yesterday. There is no free COVID test for Canadians at JFK. Need to go to Terminal 1 for test. $200US cash or $220US credit card. Results in 30 minutes. I had a 5 hour layover in JFK which was good as I probably spent 3 hours between going to terminal 1 for test, waiting for results and going back to terminal 5 (JetBlue), and going through security (1hour). Took Uber from Buffalo Airport to Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls ($76US). Walked across bridge. Maybe 5 minutes in customs office and a friend picked me up in the Falls.
Thanks for the update. No more free PCR test in JFK. My friend was lucky.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good info

Limo services and taxis can drive you across.... and then they return
Not sure about Uber

Limos & Taxis can take you all the way to your destination if you want.... more $$ of course

Dec 2, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Yes you can get a taxi all the way to Toronto if you want, but $300 US +.
Had a friend pick me up ($20 for gas)
It's a nice walk across the bridge and you see the falls from a different angle than normal.
Taxi to bridge is around $100 I think. Interesting that they have a designated pickup area at Buffalo Airport for Uber & Lyft.
At Toronto airport it is illegal for Uber/Lyft to pickup at airport

Status
Not open for further replies.