Curfew Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The UK had very firm lockdowns and most reports say that these were the reason that infection rates were brought down to almost zero. The lockdowns in the US were never as strict and widely enforced (as most states did different things) so it's hard to use the US as the reference example.
Despite lockdowns in the UK, deaths/1M population were slightly worse than in the US.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Despite lockdowns in the UK, deaths/1M population were slightly worse than in the US.

Yes they were just talking about that on the BBC news and explained why this happened using some graphs. The UK had a really high peak in early March 2020 before the first lockdown. The lockdown was strict and death rates came down to almost zero as a result. By contrast, the US never had such a high peak, but also didn't have such strict lockdowns, so death rates were more evenly spread. Had the UK not had such a strict lockdown, they think death rates would have been way higher than the US

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
As much as it seems logical that lockdowns would slow the spread of covid, the numbers don't seem to back up that theory.

Reactions: Garyexpat

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
As much as it seems logical that lockdowns would slow the spread of covid, the numbers don't seem to back up that theory.
Most of the experts in epidemiology who have studied this stuff for years have said they do and they did. I honestly don't think governments would have ordered so many lockdowns causing devastation to economies if they really didn't work.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Most of the experts in epidemiology who have studied this stuff for years have said they do and they did. I honestly don't think governments would have ordered so many lockdowns causing devastation to economies if they really didn't work.
Guess I trust the numbers more than the experts and especially the politicians. Graphs can't explain why the death rate is the same in both Texas and California, even though one was the poster boy for lockdowns and the other was mostly wide open for business.

Where lockdowns work really well is in an area where an outbreak is just beginning. Once things get out of control, all bets are off.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
The UK had very firm lockdowns and most reports say that these were the reason that infection rates were brought down to almost zero. The lockdowns in the US were never as strict and widely enforced (as most states did different things) so it's hard to use the US as the reference example.
Can you please share any studies done to support this theory in the U.K. because in Germany the actual study showed that numbers were going down prior to stricter shut downs. Many Governments want to claim that shut downs work because they are ruining peoples lives with them.
Yes in the U.S. restriction, or lack thereof are dictated by the Governors of the state. You support my earlier statement regarding the state of Florida which was probably the most open state with better results than 27 other states even through their demographics would suggest have worse results even if they had the same stricter shut downs than other states.

Reactions: cavok

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Yes they were just talking about that on the BBC news and explained why this happened using some graphs. The UK had a really high peak in early March 2020 before the first lockdown. The lockdown was strict and death rates came down to almost zero as a result. By contrast, the US never had such a high peak, but also didn't have such strict lockdowns, so death rates were more evenly spread. Had the UK not had such a strict lockdown, they think death rates would have been way higher than the US
Sorry but a presentation by the Pravda of the U.K. is not a study in science.

• Sad
Reactions: drstock

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It's a lot easier to make money with resorts than with hospitals.

BTW, the problem isn't hospitals - there's more than enough. It's ICU beds for COVID that are in short supply due to the ignorance of people.
Ok. ICU beds. This Government knows darn well how ignorant these folks can be so that's no excuse.
They should be and should have been working 24 hours a day building/ equipping/ setting up more of them.
Is it just me or am I the only one on this forum who believes it's always better to have what
you in need in life than to need something and not have it?
Back home we used to say prepare for the 100 year flood but pray it never happens.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I can understand NOT blowing Cigarette Smoke in your Face , so you dont get Cancer , from 2nd hand ..
But Please ELABORATE why you FEEL that WE all need to wear a MASK , for YOU to Feel Better .

I am genuinely curious about this ... not bashing at all ..
I carry a mask with me everywhere I go these days.
The only time I put it on is when I am in close proximity
to other people or enter a business.
I prefer fresh air.

Never heard of someone catching Covid walking down the
street alone with no one close to them however I see many
people wearing a mask when walking by themselves.
Strange times we're living in.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Can you please share any studies done to support this theory in the U.K. because in Germany the actual study showed that numbers were going down prior to stricter shut downs. Many Governments want to claim that shut downs work because they are ruining peoples lives with them.
Yes in the U.S. restriction, or lack thereof are dictated by the Governors of the state. You support my earlier statement regarding the state of Florida which was probably the most open state with better results than 27 other states even through their demographics would suggest have worse results even if they had the same stricter shut downs than other states.
Do as we say...
not as we do.

Reactions: Garyexpat

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Never heard of someone catching Covid walking down the
street alone with no one close to them however I see many
people wearing a mask when walking by themselves.
Strange times we're living in.

I've seen the same thing. In the condo complex I'm in(not many people here right now and on the ocean), I've seen many people walk from their unit through the courtyard(big, wide, long courtyard) to the pool wearing a mask - and there's no one in sight! They'll get to the pool area and take their mask off. Then, when they go back to their unit, they'll put the mask on even though, again, there's no one in sight! It's more than strange! There's no requirement here to wear masks in the common areas.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've seen the same thing. In the condo complex I'm in(not many people here right now and on the ocean), I've seen many people walk from their unit through the courtyard(big, wide, long courtyard) to the pool wearing a mask - and there's no one in sight! They'll get to the pool area and take their mask off. Then, when they go back to their unit, they'll put the mask on even though, again, there's no one in sight! It's more than strange! There's no requirement here to wear masks in the common areas.
When all of this first started I was so worried about possibly getting myself
sick, I was cooking with a mask on. You can never be too safe ;)
No worries tho. Me, myself and I are doing much better now that we have
decided to just stop eating.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Whether you are bashing or not is not important to me. My reason for feeling that way is becasue of the evidence that general mask wearing significanly reduces the spread many of the ailments that affect people. Many people I know have mentioned not having the flu this year or even the common cold. I am sure this must also be true with other things passed from one person to another, but flu and colds are the most obvious and the most widespread every year. My wearing a mask will help, of course, but my mask does more to protect others than me. The best protection is both of us wearing masks.

Anecdotally, after I passed the two week mark from my second vaccine dose, I stopped wearing a mask most places, and for the first time since the pandemic started, I've caught a cold.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Indeed, all part of a some masterful Chinese plan, eh?
I'm no fan of China's dictatorship, censorship and misinformation.
If you don't like them you'll have to outthink and outperform them.

Abinader will continue with curfew and corona restrictions as long as he sees fit, as you know.
Lockdown easing in UK delayed to July 19.
Canada restrictions still continue as they do in most of the world.
The road to "normalcy" will be long, as you observed many times.

The conspiracy theory that governments are using covid to control their citizens, is just that...... a conspiracy theory.
There is no gain for governments in subsidies paid to citizens, healthcare costs, reduced economic output and severely reduced tax income.

Reactions: drstock

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I'm no fan of China's dictatorship, censorship and misinformation.
If you don't like them you'll have to outthink and outperform them.

Abinader will continue with curfew and corona restrictions as long as he sees fit, as you know.
Lockdown easing in UK delayed to July 19.
Canada restrictions still continue as they do in most of the world.
The road to "normalcy" will be long, as you observed many times.

The conspiracy theory that governments are using covid to control their citizens, is just that...... a conspiracy theory.
There is no gain for governments in subsidies paid to citizens, healthcare costs, reduced economic output and severely reduced tax income.
That's good news.
Speaking of other places handling
the covid flu, my home state of Florida is
wide open, their kids are in school,
their economy is booming yet their
infection/ death rate is much lower
than states operating under draconian
restrictions. According to the science, how on earth is this possible ?

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
That's good news.
Speaking of other places handling
the covid flu, my home state of Florida is
wide open, their kids are in school,
their economy is booming yet their
infection/ death rate is much lower
than states operating under draconian
restrictions. According to the science, how on earth is this possible ?
it was just an imagination
Runnin' away with thee
It was just an
imagination
runnin' ...........................................................................................................................................................away ........................................................with thee

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
it was just an imagination
Runnin' away with thee
It was just an
imagination
runnin' ...........................................................................................................................................................away ........................................................with thee
Please speak English in complete sentences
when responding to my comments.

• Haha
Reactions: Michael DR
Status
Not open for further replies.