5G Networks

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
And many have the latest or next to latest iPhone. Priorities. They will love 5G no matter how fast it actually works. It is all about the latest fad.
I understand that. It's like in Brazil or Mexico, you may not have a fridge but you must have a big plasma TV to watch soap operas.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Did you say the same about 3G's need 20 years ago
It's coming sooner or later like it or not
I guess later..... read the post. People in the DR are facing ohter challenges nowadays instead of a 5G compatible phone. :unsure: Besides this.... 5G is not a free upgrade
Anyhow, providers cannot even provide a decent basic internet connection to the office/home.....

Feb 7, 2007
5G is not operational in DR, the auction of the spectrum in 3.5 Ghz and 700 Mhz range is still going on and the winner shall by determined by the end of summer 2021.

Reactions: chico bill

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
From a one man perspective: I had a iPhone 6 and ATT service for years and years. I couldn't even get resception in my own kitchen in NYC. About two months ago I walked into Tmobile and asked to change my phone, my service my everything. I walked out with T Mobile service (5G) and I Phone 12 pro max, a lower monthly bill that now includes the phone payment for two years.I am one happy camper.
I used it for 3 weeks in the DR without one issue.

Reactions: chico bill

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
From a one man perspective: I had a iPhone 6 and ATT service for years and years. I couldn't even get resception in my own kitchen in NYC. About two months ago I walked into Tmobile and asked to change my phone, my service my everything. I walked out with T Mobile service (5G) and I Phone 12 pro max, a lower monthly bill that now includes the phone payment for two years.I am one happy camper.
I used it for 3 weeks in the DR without one issue.
Yes, but what it has to do with 5G? If your iPhone is locked to T Mobile, probably you have used it here in DR with the same T-Mobile sim card in roaming with Claro, and it depends on your contract with T-Mobile how fast your internet can be in roaming, and how many GigaBytes you can consume until they limit the speed and make it even slower. There's a lot of fine print in T-Mobile contracts about roaming use. They can even cancel you line if you registered your phone in US but use it in DR most of the time.

You will have the same internet speed with iPhone 6 and iPhone 12 in DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
5G is not operational in DR, the auction of the spectrum in 3.5 Ghz and 700 Mhz range is still going on and the winner shall by determined by the end of summer 2021.
So 5G is YEARS away from becoming a reality in the DR. Interesting. No need to worry about 5G compatible phones here for a long time.

Reactions: Michael DR

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes, but what it has to do with 5G? If your iPhone is locked to T Mobile, probably you have used it here in DR with the same T-Mobile sim card in roaming with Claro, and it depends on your contract with T-Mobile how fast your internet can be in roaming, and how many GigaBytes you can consume until they limit the speed and make it even slower. There's a lot of fine print in T-Mobile contracts about roaming use. They can even cancel you line if you registered your phone in US but use it in DR most of the time.

You will have the same internet speed with iPhone 6 and iPhone 12 in DR.
IPhones are not locked with T-Mobile if you pay off the phone in full they will unlock it for you

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Because it's true LOL

Decide for yourself and FFS do your own "research" but here's a reasonable start

"However, the carrier also offers millimeter-wave coverage (39GHz and 28GHz), although it’s only available in parts of the six large cities listed below. We tested it out and New York City — check out the download speeds achieved here."
T-Mobile has nationwide 5G - It has millimeter wave only in those 6 cities and they have 600 mhz service elsewhere. I have tried it on my friend's phone, works good. Even my friend in little old back water Chico, CA has it on his T-Mobile.
Millimeter wave is faster transmitting data (and it is what Verizon uses and AT&T also has some they call 5G Plus) but it does not penetrate buildings well (even wood structures).
The higher the frequency the less distance it travels from a cell site and the less it can penetrate through barriers. Lower frequencies (longer waves) can even go through concrete (ever seen someone able to talk in an elevator ? (Probably had AT&T's 800 mhz service)

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
IPhones are not locked with T-Mobile if you pay off the phone in full they will unlock it for you
He wrote that "About two months ago I walked into Tmobile and asked to change my phone, my service my everything. I walked out with T Mobile service (5G) and I Phone 12 pro max, a lower monthly bill that now includes the phone payment for two years". That means that his phone is not paid off and still locked to T-Mobile and he used it in DR with T-Mobile sim card in roaming with Claro, and that's different from using it with Claro sim card here.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
He wrote that "About two months ago I walked into Tmobile and asked to change my phone, my service my everything. I walked out with T Mobile service (5G) and I Phone 12 pro max, a lower monthly bill that now includes the phone payment for two years". That means that his phone is not paid off and still locked to T-Mobile and he used it in DR with T-Mobile sim card in roaming with Claro, and that's different from using it with Claro sim card here.
Yes I have a dual sim phone with Claro and T-Mobile sims. Trouble is T-Mobile's roaming is only 2G - hardly usable except for texts

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Yes I have a dual sim phone with Claro and T-Mobile sims. Trouble is T-Mobile's roaming is only 2G - hardly usable except for texts
I believe there's some different types of roaming with T-Mobile, that slow (2G) roaming is their FREE roaming. As I wrote before, there's a lot of fine print in T-Mobile contracts about roaming, including the point that if you use their phone mostly in roaming, they can cancel your contract. I have a couple of phones with T-Mobile sim cards here in DR, but I use them for voice calls and messages only, not for data roaming.

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
I disagree that the carriers would not invest. They would simply charge more for less than was intended. That is how it works in the DR. Flash without substance sells here.

Take Cable Del Norte or Delancer and what they charge for mediocre bandwidth fiber optic service compared to the USA or Canada services at a similar price point.
price of internet in DR consist of 4 items: #1 wholesale lease of submarine capacity, #2 transit to user's city, #3 electicity and support #4 last mile delivery to end user. and 5G has another problem in DR that US doesn't have as much - you need to power towers/radios and you pretty much need to have one radio every 300 meters.... how much will be the cost of protected power supply for it?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
price of internet in DR consist of 4 items: #1 wholesale lease of submarine capacity, #2 transit to user's city, #3 electicity and support #4 last mile delivery to end user. and 5G has another problem in DR that US doesn't have as much - you need to power towers/radios and you pretty much need to have one radio every 300 meters.... how much will be the cost of protected power supply for it?
Not ever 300 meters. The ultrawideband yes (high frequency 28 millimeter and higher), but not all the carriers will build their 5G on millimeter wave.
A lot of 5G will be built around lower frequencies with much greater range.
So in one respect you are right and why you hear a lot of talk about 'small cells", basically small weatherproof boxes with small antennas on utility poles. The real limiting issue for these type of cell is backhaul.
It is likely you won't see millimeter wave sites built in DR and small cells may only occur when they rollout 5G in Santo Domingo and their are many available tall rooftops that could support small cell sites with line of site for 18-21 Ghz small microwaves to handle backhaul

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I have heard Simple Mobile has unlimited DR roaming data and talk.
I bought the simple mobile sim chip at a cellular store last year while in the states bc I wanted a usa ph # that wks in RD, but when I arrived in RD it didn’t work ever, I tried settings, tweaks, support chats, nope nada

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I bought the simple mobile sim chip at a cellular store last year while in the states bc I wanted a usa ph # that wks in RD, but when I arrived in RD it didn’t work ever, I tried settings, tweaks, support chats, nope nada

I have a Pixel 3L with GoogleFi. It works great. I got it because it was the cheapest international plan.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I have a Pixel 3L with GoogleFi. It works great. I got it because it was the cheapest international plan.
I use Google Fi also,in Sosua. I use the Google Fi as an E-Sim and have a physical sim for Claro in an Iphone 12 which is dual sim. There are some areas where Google Fi doesn't work so it is nice to be able to switch to Claro when I want to.People in the states can call me on my U.S. number with Fi and my Dominican friends can call me on Claro. It also allows me to have two Whatsapp numbers,one for friends and one for "friends". :cool:

Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had not had a cell phone at all for myself in over 18 years. A new iPhone 7 was donated to me in the past year and Vonage became useless to call DR phones. I HATE Apple as a company, but free is free. It is the first ever Apple product, and my first ever smart phone, that I own, but as I said, I didn't pay for it. I tried to avoid ever having another cell phone, but that effort finally failed

The iphone7 could not be unlocked, so a special Turbo-SIM un-blocker is in on top of an ALTICE SIM card in it. Works just fine and dandy that way.

For US calls I use the Google Voice App, which has no issues for me and is free for me to call and receive US calls. 5G? I might worry about that, or not. Likely not.

Reactions: Michael DR