Do I buy a desktop here or USA, import tax?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have a 4 year old desk top PC that I brought from the states in my backpack. It died last week. Questions are........
Do I buy a replacement in the DR, buy one from the states, or attempt a repair? Only 2 choices on the problem, motherboard or
power supply. Diags suggest Power supply, other set of diags suggest motherboard. I know desktops are out but we are old and
my wife loves it. Need to replace it. Can't replace wife, been together for 51 years. We are in our 80's but still love technology.
What are the import tax rates? I know BMcargo rates for weight.
If you're in your eighties, I would suggest you get it fixed here. It will cost much less, believe me.

I have an 8 yr. old Dell laptop that died last month. I talked to my IT guy about what computer I should buy to replace it, and he asked me if he could take a look at it.

The next day he walked in with it and it looked like brand new. The hard drive had died, and he replaced it with a new solid-state hard drive.

It blows me away how fast it is now.

Reactions: bob saunders

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Windows 10 is a ram hog. 8GB is a bare minimum for decent operation if you're running several apps and have multiple windows open. 16GB is better.

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
If you buy online you pay aduana (taxman) if the price is over ~$200 usd (check w/bm cargo)
I ordered electronic item last year on Amazon, cost ~$250 usd, paid around that much for aduana & shipping, I used bm cargo (paid ~500usd total)
I’d probably buy the pc here in RD at La Sirena, etc..
Ceducomp is good for checking your PC for repair/cost. The one in pto pta repaired my pc, very fair price.
I agree with Gadfly. If it is over $200

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I have some answers (and may surprise you). I'm going to Miami for July 4 and also some shopping. So I called Evelyn and asked her what I can bring back (POP)

you are allowed 500.00 duty free (yes 500) BUT

1.) For personal use only (she has a sharp eye, jijij)
2.) 500 is total, you can NOT BRING a TV for 400.00 and a toaster oven for 150.00 and then it will be fully taxed. 500 total max!
3.) If your product is not in her database she searches Amazon for the correct price (bring receipt)
4.) laptop or phone will not bring attention (unless have three or four of them, hahahahaha, then you will be taxed FULLY!!)

remember she works for the Government but also for you, her goal is to make POP a pleasant experience!!

Amen

anyone for a drink in Miami July 2-10???

Singletravel

Reactions: cavok

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have some answers (and may surprise you). I'm going to Miami for July 4 and also some shopping. So I called Evelyn and asked her what I can bring back (POP)

you are allowed 500.00 duty free (yes 500) BUT

1.) For personal use only (she has a sharp eye, jijij)
2.) 500 is total, you can NOT BRING a TV for 400.00 and a toaster oven for 150.00 and then it will be fully taxed. 500 total max!
3.) If your product is not in her database she searches Amazon for the correct price (bring receipt)
4.) laptop or phone will not bring attention (unless have three or four of them, hahahahaha, then you will be taxed FULLY!!)

remember she works for the Government but also for you, her goal is to make POP a pleasant experience!!

Amen

anyone for a drink in Miami July 2-10???

Singletravel
Working for government and working for us...makes strange bedfellows. "A pleasant experience " would be if she did a Ray Charles interpetation upon your arrival . :cool:

POP DGA

Nov 4, 2020
sosua
Thu the years I have brought down 4 laptops from the USA... I buy at Target, take out of the box and put in my carry on luggage..one time I brought down 2 at a time . Two I gave to friends, one I am using right now.......
You don't need to put the laptop out of the box, you're ALLOWED to bring one laptop either new or used whatever it costs you, just make sure you don't have another laptop with you, because obviously you will be taxed on the newer one.

Reactions: cavok

POP DGA

Nov 4, 2020
sosua
Just as easy to put a Desktop in your luggage also. I lost track of all the desktops I brought here.
Not advisable, since operations are low, airport is not crowded, most bags are going through XRay, we'll see your desktop right through.

POP DGA

Nov 4, 2020
sosua
I go so far as out of the box, re-wrapped with christmas paper and labeled with a latina name. Even that, strictly speaking, is only permissible up to $500(in gifts). However, all things in life involve a touch a risk. Everybody in my community knows how much I travel back to the states, so I have a big list each month. LOL.
We'll have to keep an eye on you ;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not advisable, since operations are low, airport is not crowded, most bags are going through XRay, we'll see your desktop right through.
Wrong, and I will tell you why. A used computer is not subject to tax. And a desktop in itself with no tags is just that to customs.

Reactions: USA DOC

POP DGA

Nov 4, 2020
sosua
Wrong, and I will tell you why. A used computer is not subject to tax. And a desktop in itself with no tags is just that to customs.
Well, if you say I'm wrong then... I don't make the rules, I'm just sharing them with you, and I'm holding the rules right here. LAPTOP, NOTEBOOK, MINIBOOK, you can bring ONE of those either new or used... a desktop computer is not on that list and they name them specifically for a reason.

Will we charge tax for any pc we find?... no, we might not, but we definetely could.

Before telling me I'm wrong, it would be wise to read the rules.

https://www.aduanas.gob.do/media/11306/manual-del-pasajero_portal.pdf (document is in spanish)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have a 4 year old desk top PC that I brought from the states in my backpack. It died last week. Questions are........
Do I buy a replacement in the DR, buy one from the states, or attempt a repair? Only 2 choices on the problem, motherboard or
power supply. Diags suggest Power supply, other set of diags suggest motherboard. I know desktops are out but we are old and
my wife loves it. Need to replace it. Can't replace wife, been together for 51 years. We are in our 80's but still love technology.
What are the import tax rates? I know BMcargo rates for weight.
Power Supply is 5 minutes to diagnose 10 minutes to replace. Motherboard more complicated but either one isn't hard to replace or both. Can be ready in one day if size motherboard is in stock (they aren't all the same size)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Well, if you say I'm wrong then... I don't make the rules, I'm just sharing them with you, and I'm holding the rules right here. LAPTOP, NOTEBOOK, MINIBOOK, you can bring ONE of those either new or used... a desktop computer is not on that list and they name them specifically for a reason.

Will we charge tax for any pc we find?... no, we might not, but we definetely could.

https://www.aduanas.gob.do/media/11306/manual-del-pasajero_portal.pdf (document is in spanish)
It will pass through with no tax. Same as computer monitors. Not listed because they do not tax. That is the procedure at all DR airports. NO TAX..........................

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
You don't need to put the laptop out of the box, you're ALLOWED to bring one laptop either new or used whatever it costs you, just make sure you don't have another laptop with you, because obviously you will be taxed on the newer one.
I have seen things in Dominican airports, that have nothing to do with the Dominican airport rulebook...........

Reactions: tht

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have brought in 3 before - never said a word about it

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Power Supply is 5 minutes to diagnose 10 minutes to replace. Motherboard more complicated but either one isn't hard to replace or both. Can be ready in one day if size motherboard is in stock (they aren't all the same size)
Neither thing are very complicated with desktops. If brand-related, to be able to fit it into the case you have to have the correct power supply and depending on what it is, that could be tricky. If it is any of those models that are VERY common here, then that is no issue at all. The same with motherboard doesn't have anything to do with size, as there are generally only 3 sizes of motherboards, but the tricky thing is if it's compatible with the CPU. That is why when you upgrade your computer you normally upgrade Motherboard, CPU and memory together. Because normally if you upgrade the motherboard, your CPU won't fit, and the memory won't match. And older motherboards can be hard to find here, unless the store isn't able to sell one that is already installed in a machine, but I guess they don't do that as they would rather sell the complete unit.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010

Thank you POP DGA for the link. I agree after reading the documents no desktop duty free.
To the OP I prefer laptops to desktops because of the poor electricity here. Depending on your computer use and your desktop you can get it repair locally and maybe later a person you know can bring you a laptop here. Buying here is expensive for outdated equipment.

Personally I have two laptops, one that I been using for around 10 years + and refuse to update to windows 10 (keep windows 7 and is working very well). The second laptop now around 6 years old is brand new with very little in it, has windows 10. I connect it to the internet 2 times a year to update only. I keep backups of all my data on an few external drives incases my first laptop dies then I just load up the Back Up laptop and have time to travel and buy another laptop.

Like most things living here need Plan A and Plan B. Example Electricity, Water, Banking, Computers and Internet.

With Plan A and Plan B life here is great without life can be real difficult. PS I also have Plan C for Banking.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Thank you POP DGA for the link. I agree after reading the documents no desktop duty free.
To the OP I prefer laptops to desktops because of the poor electricity here. Depending on your computer use and your desktop you can get it repair locally and maybe later a person you know can bring you a laptop here. Buying here is expensive for outdated equipment.

Personally I have two laptops, one that I been using for around 10 years + and refuse to update to windows 10 (keep windows 7 and is working very well). The second laptop now around 6 years old is brand new with very little in it, has windows 10. I connect it to the internet 2 times a year to update only. I keep backups of all my data on an few external drives incases my first laptop dies then I just load up the Back Up laptop and have time to travel and buy another laptop.

Like most things living here need Plan A and Plan B. Example Electricity, Water, Banking, Computers and Internet.

With Plan A and Plan B life here is great without life can be real difficult. PS I also have Plan C for Banking.
I was reluctant on Windows 10 at first, but I found a $5 program called Start 10 (by Starddock Software) https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/
that replaces the stupid tiles, and allows you to make Windows 10 look like Windows 7, even with the old fly-out menus plus the configuring or eliminating of hot corners.
Best $4.99 software you will ever spend, if you prefer Windows 7 style start menus, because Windows 10 is more secure and I think now better