Flying home from the DR to Canada and using the land border option first hand experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
As of July 05th, all returning Canadians with both approved shots are not required to stay in the Covid Hotels and are not required to quick test after 8 days at home.

Pretesting with an approved PCR test is still required on your return to Canada and an airport administered quick test is also required.

Proof of vaccinations on your ArriveCAN app is required. Paper proof is not acceptable.

Non essential travel between Canada and US land border is still banned till July 21st.

A mixed blessing but a small blessing just the same. Let’s see how the airlines react to this. There are already rumours of SunWing and Air Canada starting flights to Punta Cana soon.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If there is an election, I will purposefully go back to Canada so I can vote and ensure my vote is counted.
If they let you in..

I just saw a show on how people can hack the Vaccine Registry system in Russia if you don't want to be vaccinated. Cost is about $300 US to do so and you get a QR code registered in the government system. Maybe those in Canada can figure out how to do that if SINOVAC is never approved in Canada, eh?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We are on day 9 of our quarantine. Yesterday we drove to the approved site for our 3rd PCR test in 10 days. The first 2 were negative as I expect the 3rd one will be as well

We did the expidiated PCR test in PUJ before we left. No problems or questions in either the US or Canada. The Canadian authorities wanted a lot of info as we declined the 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine. So far I have had to check in everyday, been sent 3 threatening emails, 2 threatening voce messages and my wife had a 10 minute conversation with Health Canada. They didn't want to talk to me. Said it wasn't my turn.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
We are on day 9 of our quarantine. Yesterday we drove to the approved site for our 3rd PCR test in 10 days. The first 2 were negative as I expect the 3rd one will be as well

We did the expidiated PCR test in PUJ before we left. No problems or questions in either the US or Canada. The Canadian authorities wanted a lot of info as we declined the 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine. So far I have had to check in everyday, been sent 3 threatening emails, 2 threatening voce messages and my wife had a 10 minute conversation with Health Canada. They didn't want to talk to me. Said it wasn't my turn.
Where did you fly into in Canada ?

You declined the 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine - did you receive a fine ?

Are you vaccinated ?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Where did you fly into in Canada ?

You declined the 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine - did you receive a fine ?

Are you vaccinated ?
Flew in Calgary, the Alberta government and the CPS has not fined anyone yet, and yes we each have both shots of Sinovac

Reactions: Ecoman1949

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
still no exemptions for the sinovac !? same old covid hotel, thats what it seems to me?

Sinovac approval will come. Otherwise countries like Canada, the US, and Britain will need to ban billions of Chinese and people from other nations who have the Sinovac shots. Certain countries may continue to posture politically but the majority of nations that deal with China have no choice if they wish to continue their cultural and/or trading ties. Let’s face it. China has North American, British, and European consumers by their short and curlys. They are addicted to inexpensive Chinese merchandise especially cell phones, pads, and computers. The Walmart’s of the world would have to close their doors if their source of Chinese merchandise dried up. Put simply Sinovac is too big to fail.

Reactions: rogerjac

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada

That sh!t is crazy.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto

What are the threats about?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
That sh!t is crazy.
Not as crazy as submitting blindly to a government decree full of loopholes and staying in a disease infested, poorly managed Covid concentration hotel, while eating crappy food and paying $2000 for the dubious privilege. I admire Melphis and his wife for taking a stand.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Not as crazy as submitting blindly to a government decree full of loopholes and staying in a disease infested, poorly managed Covid concentration hotel, while eating crappy food and paying $2000 for the dubious privilege. I admire Melphis and his wife for taking a stand.
Totally totally agree. But maybe not so easily done in Toronto. That stand would cost you $5000 +

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
That sh!t is crazy.
Well I changed the brakes in my car to slotted rotors and new pads, changed the oil in both cars, put new tires and wheels on one of the kids cars in the driveway, built a new broil king bbq (fathers day gift), set up the outdoor patio, and about 100 other things. And I never left the house. I need a vacation. And downsize as apparently I stock way to much crap

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
What are the threats about?
Just the basic crap that if you don't follow the rules and protocols set out by the Gestapo they will fine you.
I will try to remember to copy paste the next one so you can all get a giggle too.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Same threats I kept receiving over the past month when I didn't want to give out my personal information to Statistics Canada for their census. Why I needed to submit my full name and phone number for the sake of a census is beyond me. They kept sending me threats of a $500 fine and government employees actually showed to my door at least 3 times, including on a weekend. I told them I do not consent and asked them to leave.

Still waiting on that $500 fine.

• Haha

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Totally totally agree. But maybe not so easily done in Toronto. That stand would cost you $5000 +

I expect the latest exemption for people with both shots to stay in place unless the Delta variant and others create a fourth wave in the provinces with the bulk of our population. If that happens, and epidemiologists are predicting it will, then the exemption will be taken away.

I would return via Montreal. If it was absolutely necessary for me to return via Toronto, the land border crossing would be my choice to avoid the Covid hotel stay.

I have a good friend in Costambar. She has been there since last January. She has her two Sinovac shots and would like to return to Ontario. She wants to avoid the Covid hotel stay. If Canadian flights from POP to Montreal are not restored soon, she will go through the US and cross at a land border with her approved negative PCR test. She’s frustrated and I sympathize with her.

At some point Canada and the US have to approve the Chinese vaccine. Otherwise DR citizens, Canadian and US expats, will have to endure unnecessary restrictions with their two Sinovac shots.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Here's today's threat. This one is new. It's in English even though it starts in French. They can't seem to get that right either

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622-090136.png
    Screenshot_20210622-090136.png
    286.9 KB · Views: 139

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Exactly how many tests do you have to take?
3 and all have to be PCR. First one within 72 hours of arriving in Canada. Second one at the airport (point of entry) third one 8 days after the second one. So 3 in 10 to 11 days.

The 3rd one in Alberta is now done at a pharmacy. It used to be they gave you a kit and you had to wait by your computer and do it live in front of a government approved person. Then mail it in. I'm not kidding. Our health care dollars at work.

At least you don't have to pay for the last 2.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada

And meanwhile, Bill C-10 was rammed through parliament last night. Crap. It passed.

Canada is one step closer to being a full blown communist country. Time to relocate to DR for good

Status
Not open for further replies.