Dominicans to get third dose of vaccine; should be different from already received vaccine

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Gobierno-anuncia-3-dosis-Vacunate-RD-1024x683.jpg

Vice President Raquel Peña says that the public health authorities are giving the go ahead for a third dose of vaccination to Dominicans. The Vice President is the head of the Health Cabinet of the Abinader administration.

The booster is to increase local immunity against the new Delta variant. The vaccines would be applied at least a month after the second dose jab. The third dose of vaccine should be different from the first doses.

As of 23 June deadline, 2,655,737 second doses had been applied.

Around 90% of all who have been vaccinated here have received two doses of the Sinovac/Coronavac vaccine. This means this group is eligible for a booster with Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccines. The Dominican Republic is receiving batches of 200,000+ of Pfizer vaccines on Fridays. On 24 June, a shipment of 472,000 of Oxford/AstraZeneca arrived.

As of 24 June 2021...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Great. Now I've had my vaccination card with the two doses stamped and laminated, they are saying I should have a third dose! :mad:

• Haha
Reactions: Squat

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Chances are they will just give you another card. Maybe they will record your fist 2 doses on the new card if you ask. More interesting will be the logistics of distributing the Pfizer or AZ vaccines outside of SD and Santiago. I wouldn't expect to see much Pfizer being available in many locations. Doesn't seem like the decision to get an mRNA booster vaccine or not is going to all that pressing.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
Chances are they will just give you another card. Maybe they will record your fist 2 doses on the new card if you ask. More interesting will be the logistics of distributing the Pfizer or AZ vaccines outside of SD and Santiago. I wouldn't expect to see much Pfizer being available in many locations.

I had a friend get Pfizer recently in Sosúa, although there were no more when I went to check.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
No mRNA vaccines for me - I want to live with my heart a while longer

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am looking for a ride for my wife and me from Sosua to a pfizer clinic this weekend if anyone is going and can help us out?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not a whole lot of information about the safety of mixing the Sinovac with anything else available yet. Just lots of speculation that it "should" be ok. Yet the DR Govt announces a third and different vaccine shot to be given here just a month or so after the second inoculation. Yet clinics not yet authorized to administer them and the safety of doing so is still very much up in the air. Why am I not surprised?

Reactions: DR fan1990

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Not a whole lot of information about the safety of mixing the Sinovac with anything else available yet. Just lots of speculation that it "should" be ok. Yet the DR Govt announces a third and different vaccine shot to be given here just a month or so after the second inoculation. Yet clinics not yet authorized to administer them and the safety of doing so is still very much up in the air. Why am I not surprised?
We're considering of vaccinating ourselves, but what I have been thinking recently is that it's been months since the vaccination started and as far as I can read from the news, the active cases and new infections are higher than ever... I realize a large part of the population does not yet have the two vaccines but still... Could be just me misthinking this...

Yes, it was clearly mentioned that the third shot would not be the same as the first two... Not sure if that's the best idea...

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
We're considering of vaccinating ourselves, but what I have been thinking recently is that it's been months since the vaccination started and as far as I can read from the news, the active cases and new infections are higher than ever... I realize a large part of the population does not yet have the two vaccines but still... Could be just me misthinking this...

Yes, it was clearly mentioned that the third shot would not be the same as the first two... Not sure if that's the best idea...

C'mon Josh! Everybody likes a science project!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

More to the point, where is the epidemiological evidence to support this decision? It seems more like an act of desperation by the government to deal with the inadequacies of the Sinovac vaccine, it’s low efficacy rate, and it’s inability to deal with the super variants now appearing worldwide.

The current DR supply of AstraZeneca and Moderna vaccines is a drop in the proverbial bucket. They will need much more just to inoculate those with two shots. Will it increase herd immunity in the DR overall? I highly doubt it.

When I received my second Pfizer shot a few weeks ago in Canada, I asked the nurse if a third fall Covid vaccine shot was planned. She said no. The fall flu shot program will go ahead as usual. In 2022, the plan is to provide a Covid booster shot at the same time we get our fall flu shot. That is based on current UK, US, and Canadian epidemiological research. The efficacy of two shots of Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca has been proven world wide, including their ability to handle the variants.

Reactions: johne

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With the new variants herd immunity will reportedly only be reached at when 75 to 80 percent of the population is vaccinated.
That is what the experts are now saying because of variant Delta/India. I never expected this to end this year.

Availability of third shots is quite limited so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
More to the point, where is the epidemiological evidence to support this decision? It seems more like an act of desperation by the government to deal with the inadequacies of the Sinovac vaccine, it’s low efficacy rate, and it’s inability to deal with the super variants now appearing worldwide.

The current DR supply of AstraZeneca and Moderna vaccines is a drop in the proverbial bucket. They will need much more just to inoculate those with two shots. Will it increase herd immunity in the DR overall? I highly doubt it.

When I received my second Pfizer shot a few weeks ago in Canada, I asked the nurse if a third fall Covid vaccine shot was planned. She said no. The fall flu shot program will go ahead as usual. In 2022, the plan is to provide a Covid booster shot at the same time we get our fall flu shot. That is based on current UK, US, and Canadian epidemiological research. The efficacy of two shots of Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca has been proven world wide, including their ability to handle the variants.
Well said! Who other than the DR gub said it is OK to mix cocktails?? Ridiculous the way they and people are just poking and jabbing shyte into their bodies. Get a grip on what this means.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There have been many articles stating u can get a second vaccine. You need to wait between them, I think it is a month, but no problem. Try researching it yourself before speaking.

If I don't get more here I will go to Puerto Rico for the Pfizer

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

These research articles refer to mixing an initial shot with a second different shot. Mixing one shot of Pfizer mRNA vaccine with a shot of AstraZeneca virus based vaccine has been proven to result in a marginally better efficacy rate.

What this thread is questioning is the decision by the DR government to give a third shot of a different vaccine to people who have two shots of Sinovac. Not the same thing. I haven’t been able to find any research on the efficacy or danger of multiple shots of different Covid vaccines.

If it goes ahead, I hope the DR government does as an epidemiological study to look at the results of their decision. I doubt this will happen. The government is stretched to the limit fighting increasing infections and new variants.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

"As of June 11, more than 1,200 cases of myocarditis or pericarditis have been reported to the U.S. Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), out of about 300 million mRNA vaccine doses administered."

I can live with those odds.