Land Prices

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I found the individuals selling land in Yuma to be dreaming when it came to value.

But I found, Boca de Yuma to be breathtakingly beautiful. Out of the way. And quiet. All perfect for “recreational” activities.
Can you describe your "boots on the ground" approach?

I'm currently working with a real estate agent to find a hill or loma with nice views to build a sort of unique 3 story tree house and rent it on airbnb, but the lady tried to sell me a lot in El Cedro, Miches at $20/m2 when the facebook listing is for $15 so I dropped her.
I did not get a real estate agent to take me seriously until I put “boots on the ground” meaning I physically went out and looked at properties. I literally put my boots on and walked entire properties ranging from 35 tareas all the way up to 300 tareas.

After each property I walked, I gave the real estate agents (multiple) that I was working with the specific details of what I did not like about the property they were showing me. And I described each and every detail I was looking for in a type of property I wanted to buy. After my first couple properties that I walked, they began to understand that I knew exactly what I wanted and that I was not going to buy any property unless it fit my needs.

Now, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the type of property I was looking for was not they type gringos look for. It took them a while to get that to sink in…but once it did my agents started bringing me opportunities that were much closer to fulfilling all the needs and most of the wants for the property I was seeking.

For me my project was not a solo effort. I built a team to assist me in my purchase. And I will also add, I was looking at land suitable for agricultural use. I did not look for land by the square meter but by the tarea (628.8 sq mts). Asking prices were all over the board so I had to know average market value for each area, type and condition of the land I was looking at. And of course, you pay what you negotiate.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I found the individuals selling land in Yuma to be dreaming when it came to value.

But I found, Boca de Yuma to be breathtakingly beautiful. Out of the way. And quiet. All perfect for “recreational” activities.

I did not get a real estate agent to take me seriously until I put “boots on the ground” meaning I physically went out and looked at properties. I literally put my boots on and walked entire properties ranging from 35 tareas all the way up to 300 tareas.

After each property I walked, I gave the real estate agents (multiple) that I was working with the specific details of what I did not like about the property they were showing me. And I described each and every detail I was looking for in a type of property I wanted to buy. After my first couple properties that I walked, they began to understand that I knew exactly what I wanted and that I was not going to buy any property unless it fit my needs.

Now, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the type of property I was looking for was not they type gringos look for. It took them a while to get that to sink in…but once it did my agents started bringing me opportunities that were much closer to fulfilling all the needs and most of the wants for the property I was seeking.

For me my project was not a solo effort. I built a team to assist me in my purchase. And I will also add, I was looking at land suitable for agricultural use. I did not look for land by the square meter but by the tarea (628.8 sq mts). Asking prices were all over the board so I had to know average market value for each area, type and condition of the land I was looking at. And of course, you pay what you negotiate.
Well said.That is the definition of "boots on the ground" as I have always known it. Good luck on your project. Are you still spending some time in SD east? PM me when you get a chance.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014

This is great info, I have spent the past 2 months dealing with my agent and as mentioned have dropped her. I am now a couple of weeks into just driving around and looking at for sale signs, anything on the side of a road with a phone number usually connects you with someone who is selling the land directly, it may seem daunting at first, it was for me, but my experience looking at 2 properties was surprisingly pleasant. And without the agent looking over my shoulder I felt no pressure, just looking at the land and evaluating it myself.

I will however search for a new agent, so once I have a list of properties that works for me I can lean on their contacts and experience, but it's a good idea to get boots on the ground to find what works for you and worry about negotiations later.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
This is great info, I have spent the past 2 months dealing with my agent and as mentioned have dropped her. I am now a couple of weeks into just driving around and looking at for sale signs, anything on the side of a road with a phone number usually connects you with someone who is selling the land directly, it may seem daunting at first, it was for me, but my experience looking at 2 properties was surprisingly pleasant. And without the agent looking over my shoulder I felt no pressure, just looking at the land and evaluating it myself.

I will however search for a new agent, so once I have a list of properties that works for me I can lean on their contacts and experience, but it's a good idea to get boots on the ground to find what works for you and worry about negotiations later.
what kind of farming?

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
what kind of ecotourism ?
A glamping(glamorous camping) site, where the main attraction would be being surrounded by nature, for those seeking to disconnect and have their own private space. This concept while relatively new, has potential due to the pandemic, I think the traveler not looking for the all inclusive hotel will find this alternative option attractive.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
A glamping(glamorous camping) site, where the main attraction would be being surrounded by nature, for those seeking to disconnect and have their own private space. This concept while relatively new, has potential due to the pandemic, I think the traveler not looking for the all inclusive hotel will find this alternative option attractive.
Something like this?

campesinadeatl

Aug 13, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Just wondering… are you targeting tourists or Dominicans with this? Great concept, stayed at one in Colombia not far from peñol de guatapé. Hopefully you’ll update when you’re up and running, would love to check it out!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Just wondering… are you targeting tourists or Dominicans with this? Great concept, stayed at one in Colombia not far from peñol de guatapé. Hopefully you’ll update when you’re up and running, would love to check it out!
The idea is successful in Costa Rica, but appeals mainly to tourists and the one I stayed in had private rain showers.
I can recall sleeping under the thatched roof of the cabin tent with geckos crawling about and bats perching.
Not a relaxing night - but I was under the influence of herb so the bats had me envisioning that all sorts of blood-sucking was about to go down.
FYI - there are places here in DR doing this already. My friend stayed in one a few weeks ago.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The idea is successful in Costa Rica, but appeals mainly to tourists and the one I stayed in had private rain showers.
I can recall sleeping under the thatched roof of the cabin tent with geckos crawling about and bats perching.
Not a relaxing night - but I was under the influence of herb so the bats had me envisioning that all sorts of blood-sucking was about to go down.
FYI - there are places here in DR doing this already. My friend stayed in one a few weeks ago.
sounds like you did your part to "save the environment " , if the A/C aint blasting 24/7 to keep the insects, noise and humidity out I am not interested.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
sounds like you did your part to "save the environment " , if the A/C aint blasting 24/7 to keep the insects, noise and humidity out I am not interested.
I like AC too. I can take some eco camping but if it's not by a cold trout stream, a rafting trip or on an elk hunt then it needs to be short term - like one night. Trust me I'm no Bear Grylls

• Haha
Reactions: nigrarosa

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
You could check out our area in El Mamey My property is ideal for that. navas1.com Spectacular views , always a breeze , little or no mosquitos. There is a very cool lodge near us that does that too.

Aug 21, 2007
There is an award winning eco tourism company in Jamao. Not fancy like the one above that Pichardo posted. It operates on the concept of sustainable tourism. Among other things, it provides camping trips in remote areas. And interestingly, they are booked every weekend by Dominicans from Santo Domingo and Santiago. This past weekend they hosted a camping group in Costanza

202906720_4041285555961972_6366057700067741642_n.jpg

.https://jamaoecotours.com/

Reactions: Drperson

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You could check out our area in El Mamey My property is ideal for that. navas1.com Spectacular views , always a breeze , little or no mosquitos. There is a very cool lodge near us that does that too.

This didn't work in my translator. What does it say?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi. Sed ut perspiciatis unde
omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium.

(jk)

BTW, Some awnings on those windows would really make that place stand out!

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
In my analysis this would be a good option for both the international tourist and the Dominican wanting to experience something new and different. I follow about a dozen Dominican travel bloggers on instagram and the reception they get when they visit eco-friendly spots is a good indicator of the potential for this business. That's why I focused on finding a place closer to the east side of the island, for the potential to get the tourists arriving in PUJ.

Reactions: campesinadeatl