Trip to the Dominican Republic turns into a vacation from hell: ‘We’ve lost everything’

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
If the drugs are the low grade local stuff, there is no way anybody would travel from the US to sell 4 pounds of local pot to the locals. However, if the pot is high grade, they are guilty as charged.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since the topic is about some drug dealers/mules from the states being arrested I will stay with that topic. Guess whoever profiled them should get a bonus. Yes we ALL absolutely get profiled. That's why people that dress appropriately get better service at restaurants, better jobs etc. A police officer here knows what he is looking for. A criminal , a payoff at a traffic stop etc. Yes profiling is alive and well. Thankfully !!
I do agree they were "Profiled".

Just perhaps not for the reasons you suggest.

Reactions: JD Jones

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Drug mules are DRUG Mules .. they LIE , 99 % of the time ... ANY COP can explain this to you .. from Decades of Experience .
The Cops dont have the inclination to set somebody up with like a KILO/ brick of drugs , they would do it with a Small amount if they were Bad Cops
A Brick of drugs is overkill.. and its not realistic .. ask Any Cop .. but what do cops know .. we got so many experts here .

Haitians who were Raised or at least Lived in Haiti sometimes get HASSLED ,, YES ... because they are from HAITI
Its Terrible .. and its true .. no one denies this

bit People who LOOK Haitian, or even ARE of " Haitian descent" but have LIVED in the DR all their Lives , and are essentially DOMINICAN ,and have " never been to Haiti"
DO NOT GET HASSLED because " they LOOK Haitian, or are Haitian" ..
this is complete and total BS ...

Instead of defending the Virtues of posters ( their reputation is not in question, but your reading comprehension may be)

I would like to know what you disagree with ?
pretty much sums it up

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Lemme guess , each time it happens you go to Western Union to help her out of her jam ?

Haitians walk different , talk differently , carry themselves differently, DRESS differently , wear their shoes differently , have different Facial Expressions , the list is practically ENDLESS.
ANY Dominican can spot who was raised in the DR and who lived in Haiti . Skin Color and Facial Features have absolutely NOTHING to do with it , and Especially a COP or even a Security guard at a Hotel can tell the difference immediately .
imo your story is totally Fabricated ... or your Novia is fabricating them for you ..
How can you just dismiss someone's personal experience like that? I posted a very similar account of what happened to a friend of mine who looks Haitian just after TOM0901's post. I KNOW it's true, because I didn't go to Western Union to help my friend. I live here and I went to the police station to get her out of jail. When I asked why she was arrested in the morning, not a hooker but as a passenger on a moto-concho, the cop just told me he was allowed to arrest anyone "on suspicion". What he was suspicious of, he didn't care to tell me.

I can assure you my account is NOT fabricated.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
There is always a strong resentment from Dominicans against Haitians who might be in competition for jobs that Dominicans might perform.

For instance, up in Samana (which has the darkest residents, having been "sent" up there to "fish" when Trujillo cleared the land for the park in St.Dom. Este) when the A-I hotel up there was bought and redone as the Grand Bahia Principe in Portillo, the local Dominican construction workers protested daily - because the owners of the hotel had brought in a crew of Haitians... they put the Haitians on the site - left them there to work- did not pay them for 24 days... And paid them about US $25 a day. The Dominicans WANTED the work -but Would Not Do It for that price - which was HALF of what they would expect to get.

There are laws about what percentage of Dominicans/Haitians any businesses can employ.

I doubt anyone minds if there are Haitians in the fields in Constanza spraying the fields with whatever chemicals without any sort of face masks... Nor those Haitians who do the construction in SD, living in the buildings that they are working in - since most of those jobs have Dominicans in charge of the labor teams.

But - for quite a while - there were a lot of Haitians who had jobs out in Punta Cana because they had language skills that Dominicans simply did not have... It is perhaps because they live in a dual language country that Haitians pick up other languages quickly.

Here is a report I wrote many years ago about one of the Haitian communities in the Capital. It is old but I doubt that the situation has changed.

The language skills make no sense. Most of the AI developers operators in PC hail from Spanish speaking countries, like Mexico, Spain, especially the the initial developments. AMR/American, Sandals/Beaches/Jamaican from English speaking countries, but RIU, Iberostar, Barcelo, Palladium Spanish.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The language skills make no sense. Most of the AI developers operators in PC hail from Spanish speaking countries, like Mexico, Spain, especially the the initial developments. AMR/American, Sandals/Beaches/Jamaican from English speaking countries, but RIU, Iberostar, Barcelo, Palladium Spanish.
I don't quite understand your comment? The Haitians' ability to quickly pick up other languages - Italian, Portuguese, German, Russian - was what made them such prized employees. That is what I meant by my comment. Perhaps I did not express myself correctly.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Lemme guess , each time it happens you go to Western Union to help her out of her jam ?

Haitians walk different , talk differently , carry themselves differently, DRESS differently , wear their shoes differently , have different Facial Expressions , the list is practically ENDLESS.
ANY Dominican can spot who was raised in the DR and who lived in Haiti . Skin Color and Facial Features have absolutely NOTHING to do with it , and Especially a COP or even a Security guard at a Hotel can tell the difference immediately .
imo your story is totally Fabricated ... or your Novia is fabricating them for you ..
No Western Union necessary,I live here. Her family paid to get her out.
I feel bad for you,you are totally clueless to what goes on here on the street on a daily basis. I posted something truthful and honest and you accuse me of being a liar. It's people like you that have ruined this forum. I'm done,I've tried to contribute to this forum a little but I don't need this BS.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I don't quite understand your comment? The Haitians' ability to quickly pick up other languages - Italian, Portuguese, German, Russian - was what made them such prized employees. That is what I meant by my comment. Perhaps I did not express myself correctly.
Do you think they are/were speaking Italian, Portuguese, German and Russian on the job sites? Of course not. They learn Spanish because their boss speaks Spanish lol. Nowhere in that article you posted is any of this mentioned. Could it be they work for less?

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Do you think they are/were speaking Italian, Portuguese, German and Russian on the job sites? Of course not. They learn Spanish because their boss speaks Spanish lol. Nowhere in that article you posted is any of this mentioned. Could it be they work for less?
well we know they don't speak French! This is confounding to anyone with an education

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012

This was in response to a line in mountainannie's post #21 which read...

"But - for quite a while - there were a lot of Haitians who had jobs out in Punta Cana because they had language skills that Dominicans simply did not have... It is perhaps because they live in a dual language country that Haitians pick up other languages quickly."

The need for language skills was/is indeed a big deal in the tourist zone of Punta Cana. The local operators needed French speaking guides to accommodate their client base that included large numbers of Canadians. Hotels also found themselves on the lookout for qualified workers with those language skills for the very same reason.
IMO...
Her comment made a lot of sense.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I wonder if the mules that got caught with a 4 pound brick of drugs were speaking English or Haitian gibberish. I wonder if their demeanor was that of confused U.S tourists or aggressive "you don't who you're messing with" and "my lawyer is gonna own you" type. Like a poster astutely pointed out, if the P.D was going to plant drugs on some U.S tourists to shake them down it certainly would not be a 4 pound brick of drugs. Maybe a small amount and some paraphernalia. If the P.D is always beating Haitians why did these mules not get a beat down?

Reactions: jd426

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
No Western Union necessary,I live here. Her family paid to get her out.
I feel bad for you,you are totally clueless to what goes on here on the street on a daily basis. I posted something truthful and honest and you accuse me of being a liar. It's people like you that have ruined this forum. I'm done,I've tried to contribute to this forum a little but I don't need this BS.
My apologies , that you took it that way .. And yes I was poking at you with the Western Union Comment ..

if your Novia speaks DOMININCAN SPANISH, and has never even been to HAITI... I honestly cant grasp how she would be hassled and jailed on several occasions ... this just does not add up.. Is she very attractive, and the cops are hassling her that way ?
there has to be more to this .

Sorry for implying you fabricated it .

but this Thread is about some Haitians from the USA who are DRUG Mules ..
All of us are guilty of veering off the that topic ..with this Empathy for ALL Haitians who get hassled ..

These dudes did not get hassled because they are Haitian .. and the cops did not set them up... that is my contention .

It has absolutely nothing to do with How Haitian workers are treated , or your Novia gets hassled by the Police , for who knows what Reason..

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016

imo your story is totally Fabricated ... or your Novia is fabricating them for you .

My apologies , that you took it that way .. And yes I was poking at you with the Western Union Comment ..

if your Novia speaks DOMININCAN SPANISH, and has never even been to HAITI... I honestly cant grasp how she would be hassled and jailed on several occasions ... this just does not add up.. Is she very attractive, and the cops are hassling her that way ?
there has to be more to this .

Sorry for implying you fabricated it .

but this Thread is about some Haitians from the USA who are DRUG Mules ..
All of us are guilty of veering off the that topic ..with this Empathy for ALL Haitians who get hassled ..

These dudes did not get hassled because they are Haitian .. and the cops did not set them up... that is my contention .

It has absolutely nothing to do with How Haitian workers are treated , or your Novia gets hassled by the Police , for who knows what Reason..
Spend a night or two in Sosua and you can figure out the Reason. It has little to do with Tom or his chica.

Reactions: Yes Alfredo

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
This was in response to a line in mountainannie's post #21 which read...

"But - for quite a while - there were a lot of Haitians who had jobs out in Punta Cana because they had language skills that Dominicans simply did not have... It is perhaps because they live in a dual language country that Haitians pick up other languages quickly."

The need for language skills was/is indeed a big deal in the tourist zone of Punta Cana. The local operators needed French speaking guides to accommodate their client base that included large numbers of Canadians. Hotels also found themselves on the lookout for qualified workers with those language skills for the very same reason.
IMO...
Her comment made a lot of sense.
From the article,
This particular group of educated young Haitians had come to the Dominican Republic to find work in the tourist hotels, in construction, as household workers, or day labourers, in the hopes that they will survive and be able to send some money home.

According to the 2016 Census' official language data:

• 23.8 million Canadians speak English, but not French (68.3%)
  • 6.2 million Canadians speak both English and French (17.9%)
  • 4.1 million Canadians speak French, but not English (11.9%)
  • 0.6 million Canadians speak neither English nor French (1.9%)
Note that the number of people who only speak French is very, very small outside of Quebec (~50%) and New Brunswick (~9%). In every other province it's less than 0.5%.

Edit: The language distribution within Quebec is also highly regional. Many people's only experience of the province is Montreal, where only 36% of the population speaks only French. But that rises to 61% in Quebec City and 65% in the rest of the province.

The overwhelming majority of tourist arrivals to PC are English speakers.

If some resorts put a few Haitians at the front desk because they speak French that is nice but that is not the norm.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
WHAT? Hatians have the ability to learn other languages faster then others?
Please give it a rest M.A.
We have had Haitians working next to and across from us for over 10 years. I wont go into detail but the security costs, having them shit, literally, everywhere and constant loud yelling in Creole has not been fun at all.

Reactions: windeguy and Big

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I wonder if the mules that got caught with a 4 pound brick of drugs were speaking English or Haitian gibberish. I wonder if their demeanor was that of confused U.S tourists or aggressive "you don't who you're messing with" and "my lawyer is gonna own you" type. Like a poster astutely pointed out, if the P.D was going to plant drugs on some U.S tourists to shake them down it certainly would not be a 4 pound brick of drugs. Maybe a small amount and some paraphernalia. If the P.D is always beating Haitians why did these mules not get a beat down?
Come on now, we all know they forgot. Some of them had to wonder after the fact that something was forgotten. Imagine how it took place as they were driving back to the police station:

Cop 1: Another drug bust. People will never learn.

Cop 2: Yeah...

Cop 1: Wait a minute. Didn't we forget something?

Cop 2: I have been thinking about it. I think we were suppose to do something to the guys for being Haitian.

Cop 1: Yeah, I mean we busted them with the marijuana, arrested them, and sent them to temporary jail.

*Then the lightbulb goes on...*

They both think at the same time: We forgot to beat them!

Cop 2: Do you think we can go back and do this? After all, they are Haitians and that's what we do.

Cop 1 looks at the clock in the pickup, right above the radio.

Cop 1: Man, we missed it. These are the only Haitians the PN didn't beat in the whole country.

Cop 2: And in all of history.

Both with a sweating forehead and eyes of worry are dreading arriving at the police station and tell their superior that they did everything but beat them. Trouble is waiting for these cops.

Cop 2: Take the long way.

Cop 1: Hopefully we find many tapones too.

Next day headlines...

In Listin Diario:

HAITIANOS APRESADOS SIN RECIBIR PELA DE LA POLICÍA

In Hoy:

MILAGRO: HAITIANOS LLEGARON A LA CÁRCEL CON TODOS SUS DIENTES

In Diario Libre:

SOSPECHOSOS HAITIANOS TRATADOS COMO LA GENTE

In El Nacional:

SE ESTÁ ACABANDO EL MUNDO: HAITIANOS APRESADOS SIN RECIBIR PELA

I'm sure the papers will fly off the racks.

Next night ratings will be off chart for the Nuria and Alicia Ortega's shows and they investigate the very weird and troubling matter of the PN not beating the Haitians.

:eek:

Last edited:

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Okay,
take the phone off 'profile' so we can see what happened better.
check the rental, lots of that crap happens.
and why would vacationers need 4 pounds of pot?
lastly, edit the video better. Who were the guys in camo before the cops showed up?
finally, maybe I missed something along the way due to really bad video?
p.s. crime is down in Luperon concerning burgals & break ins.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Okay,
take the phone off 'profile' so we can see what happened better.
check the rental, lots of that crap happens.
and why would vacationers need 4 pounds of pot?
lastly, edit the video better. Who were the guys in camo before the cops showed up?
finally, maybe I missed something along the way due to really bad video?
p.s. crime is down in Luperon concerning burgals & break ins.
they got caught and tried to take control of the scene. The P.D tow truck driver changed their tune when he displayed his gun. The family portrays them as innocent educated college bound kids, yet they are talking street slang and are clearly not educated.

Reactions: jd426