Best places to stay in Puerta Plata.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It's a hotel with a restaurant. Not AI.

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
We've never stayed at Black Beard's but have eaten at the restaurant a few times. Wait staff, service and food are all very good. We live at Caribbean Sun Residential, not far from Black Beard's, there are several 1 bedroom units, one 2 bedroom and one 3 bedroom. all have ample space, clean, bright and airy, fully equipped kitchen, a large pool and the owner lives on site.
(no prostitutes. lol)

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So I made my reservation with Hotel Kelvin for Wednesday 7/7 thru Sunday 7/11. I will write a review when we get back.

Recommendations for breakfast and dinner within 2 km would be appreciated. Thanks to all who responded.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
So I made my reservation with Hotel Kelvin for Wednesday 7/7 thru Sunday 7/11. I will write a review when we get back.

Recommendations for breakfast and dinner within 2 km would be appreciated. Thanks to all who responded.

They will make you breakfast at the hotel if you ask. They also have a community kitchen if you want to make your own, If you're up to walking I would suggest taking a self guided tour of the area during the day and drop in at any place that looks interesting. Whomever is at the front desk will put you on to good local spots. I've been to a few but can't remember the names. Exit the hotel, make 2 left turns, and you'll be at Parque Central. It is ringed by a number of different places. El Bergantin is a nice place for dinner and it's staggering distance from the hotel in case you like to drink.

There are some nice places on the beach which are not too far away. La Carihuela is my personal favorite. It's a few minutes by car although I found it to be a lovely walk. You will pass a La Sirena on the way there. I hope you enjoy yourself!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
We've never stayed at Black Beard's but have eaten at the restaurant a few times. Wait staff, service and food are all very good. We live at Caribbean Sun Residential, not far from Black Beard's, there are several 1 bedroom units, one 2 bedroom and one 3 bedroom. all have ample space, clean, bright and airy, fully equipped kitchen, a large pool and the owner lives on site.
(no prostitutes. lol)
my friends who have stayed at Blackbeards.....say you can get lucky there..........

• Haha

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Hi. I'm looking for some recommendations on where to stay in PP. It can be an AI or just a hotel. I've been to Punta Cana enough to want to see other spots. It will be for 3 or 4 adults, me being the only non-Haitian.

I have been twice, but not in 15 years, so those experiences don't count.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Rob
I loved this place.It is a bit rustic but safe but I prefere that. . A good way to get introduced to the DR.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua

A nice place for dinner is Squina. On the NW corner of Separation and 12 de Julio, just 2 blocks from Parque Central.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Hi. I'm looking for some recommendations on where to stay in PP. It can be an AI or just a hotel. I've been to Punta Cana enough to want to see other spots. It will be for 3 or 4 adults, me being the only non-Haitian.

I have been twice, but not in 15 years, so those experiences don't count.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Rob
If you like class and the price doesn't matter: Casa Colonial.
If you want an AI: I like Emotions and Iberostar.
A cheap AI that is also ok is Gran Paradise, but I hear that that is closed for renovations.
The other ones I zould not recommend (Lifestyle only if you are a member, then it is great).

If you want a 'normal' small hotel, like said above hotel Kevin and Lomar, or hotel Galsi or hotel Montesilva, 2 cheap hotels, no pool or restaurant or things like that, but between the Malecon and the Luis Ginebra, so close by a lot of places and they are really cheap.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So we ended up staying at Hotel Kevin (not to be confused with Hotel Kelvin, as I did). This is really close to the Malecon, easy walking distance.

Can't recommend this hotel enough. We paid about $32/night and got breakfast and coffee included in the morning. It was clean and not noisy. It's not an AI and doesn't come with all the bells and whistles and scented toilet paper. But it is functional and the family that runs it is super nice. I hope they still made a profit after all the coffee I drank. At least I don't use milk or sugar.

Enjoyed the $100 DP tour of Fort San Felipe. Also did the ATV trip. Finally got to Sosua for the first time. Didn't see that many spandex girls, although I did turn down a masaj or 2. Spent the day at the beach. Good time but lousy food.