President Jovenel Moïse assassinated in the night in his private residence

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The only thing that will save that place in the next 40 years will be the discovery of massive oil or gold\silver reserves. Even that can be squandered just look at Venezuela. Too bad the guy got wacked, but in the big picture of Haiti it changes little.

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
Haitian President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated overnight from Tuesday to Wednesday by armed men in his private residence.

The new Prime Minister of Haiti Ariel Henry announced Wednesday, July 7 that President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated on the night of Tuesday to Wednesday.
"At around one in the morning, on the night of Tuesday July 6 to Wednesday July 7, 2021, a group of unidentified individuals, some of whom spoke in Spanish, attacked the private residence of the President of the Republic and thus fatally injured the head of the 'State,' the head of government announced in a statement. "Condemning this odious, inhuman and barbaric act", the Prime Minister calls "the population to calm" and assures that "the security situation of the country" is "under control".
Haitian President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated overnight from Tuesday to Wednesday by armed men in his private residence.

The new Prime Minister of Haiti Ariel Henry announced Wednesday, July 7 that President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated on the night of Tuesday to Wednesday.
"At around one in the morning, on the night of Tuesday July 6 to Wednesday July 7, 2021, a group of unidentified individuals, some of whom spoke in Spanish, attacked the private residence of the President of the Republic and thus fatally injured the head of the 'State,' the head of government announced in a statement. "Condemning this odious, inhuman and barbaric act", the Prime Minister calls "the population to calm" and assures that "the security situation of the country" is "under control".
and in other news...................................

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
oTULMb.jpg

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Maybe you could give just one name of a Haitian leader killed. The violence in Haiti was mainly in the time of Papa Doc when his armed forces cruelly crushed all opposition but this is the FIRST murder of a president in office according to the records .You also have not the slightest idea at this stage who killed the President . A Moderator !!
I can give you the name of several, starting with the father of said country, Jean Jacques Dessalines.

Reactions: KyleMackey

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Please can someone explain what a drug cartel thinks they will gain by assassinating the president? It isn't as if they get to pick the next guy.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The news reports seemed to indicate the company that provides electricity wanted him dead. Did anyone else see that?

I have my doubts that the assassins will be caught. I suspect they were out of Haiti very quickly. Any reports on their capture?

Does this really change anything in Haiti?

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I can give you the name of several, starting with the father of said country, Jean Jacques Dessalines.
Seen websites that list former presidents as having "died in office" like Cincinnatus Leconte. Haitian terrorists blew up the National Palace killing him and hundreds of soldiers.......maybe he literally died in his office lol.

Reactions: Naked_Snake

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Seen websites that list former presidents as having "died in office" like Cincinnatus Leconte. Haitian terrorists blew up the National Palace killing him and hundreds of soldiers.......maybe he literally died in his office lol.
Ironically said Leconte was a great-grandson of Dessalines, who also happened to have been still ruling the country (with the title of "emperor") at the time of his assassination. Great grandpa lasted more, though, cuz poor Cincinnatus lasted less than a year. And what is more tragic about it all is that he was one of the few presidents known for his probity and honesty (perhaps that being the reason behind him being killed).

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Here is an article:

The President was riddled with 12 bullets. Seems only he and his wife were shot. No one from his specialized security forces detail was shot according to the article. Kids and maid also unharmed.

4 suspects dead and 2 captured in connection with his death.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Please can someone explain what a drug cartel thinks they will gain by assassinating the president? It isn't as if they get to pick the next guy.

If it is South American cartels, they might be doing it to have closer access to the North. Control the whole country of Haiti, grow cocaine without any gov't interference. Control the shipping ports, airports. All speculation at this point, but certainly a possibility.

They may see what the Mexican cartels are doing in Mexico, and want the same thing.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The news reports seemed to indicate the company that provides electricity wanted him dead. Did anyone else see that?

I have my doubts that the assassins will be caught. I suspect they were out of Haiti very quickly. Any reports on their capture?

Does this really change anything in Haiti?
Windy, various new sources are carrying the story that 4 of the attackers were killed in a gun battle with police an

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
First pictures of the two captured alledged assassins.

1625749817648.png

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004