President Jovenel Moïse assassinated in the night in his private residence

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
A civil war in Haiti ..should stay in Haiti... learned my lesson first hand in Viet Nam.......Was just wondering exactly what the Dominican military consists of?.............
A few used Hueys, some Chinese donations that are worthless. Stuff like that.

• Haha
Reactions: USA DOC

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
The word in Dominican circles is that Biden tweeted that they should eliminate the border with Haiti and let the Dominicans enjoy the beauty of Haiti. Hearsay and as I don't use Twitter, I don't know if that is a true quote or not, but if so, something is seriously deranged.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The wife of the assassinated president has spoken and indicated it was his own security who killed him. The Colombians were contractors of the Haitian state.

She also said the Colombians saved the lives of her and her children.

La primera Dama de Haití Martine Moïse,
habló este viernes, dice que su esposo Presidente Juvenel Moise "fue asesinado por sus agentes de seguridad. No fueron los colombianos quienes lo asesinaron. Ellos eran contratistas del Estado haitiano". Sin embargo, hay 7 colombianos muertos.
"Colombianos salvaron mi vida y la de mis hijos"
Escrito del periodista Rafael Gil.

The question now is, where are those security folks who killed him?
This is what the El Comercio newspaper from Lima published today, repeating what EFE published.

Primera dama de Haití habla por primera vez tras ataque y confirma que “mercenarios” asesinaron a presidente​

Translstion: First Lady of Haiti speaks for the first time after attack and confirms that the "mercenaries" killed the president

No doubt she said something, but she couldn't say that they killed him and that they didn't killed him at the same time.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
The wife of the assassinated president has spoken and indicated it was his own security who killed him. The Colombians were contractors of the Haitian state.

She also said the Colombians saved the lives of her and her children.

La primera Dama de Haití Martine Moïse,
habló este viernes, dice que su esposo Presidente Juvenel Moise "fue asesinado por sus agentes de seguridad. No fueron los colombianos quienes lo asesinaron. Ellos eran contratistas del Estado haitiano". Sin embargo, hay 7 colombianos muertos.
"Colombianos salvaron mi vida y la de mis hijos"
Escrito del periodista Rafael Gil.

The question now is, where are those security folks who killed him?
link?, edit nevermind

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

USA DOC

Bronze​

["The US is just now getting out of Afghanistan after 20 years. 60,000 Americans were killed in Viet Nam. What was accomplished in those conflicts?
No way the US will get involved in the Haitian mess. And without the US, I doubt any others will."] End quote

Nothing was accomplished.
Governments use their own citizens as political tools, nothing more than political ploys.

The lie always is, that the fighters are defending their country, families and way of life.

In the end the soldiers are just supporting their comrades fighting for unit integrity, trying to stay alive.

Haitians have been abused by successive Haitian governments.
A once fertile part of the Island of Hispaniola has been denuded and the soil depleted.
It will be a major task to turn Haiti into a viable country with proper structures.

At the same time the world is fighting regional wars and covid.
Supply chains have been disrupted, food costs are at all-time highs.
Emerging countries especially are hit by rising food costs.

Haiti faces a monumental task, exacerbated by international reluctance for military and monetary involvement.
Past records for Haitian aid do not bode well.

Reactions: Sailor51

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The word in Dominican circles is that Biden tweeted that they should eliminate the border with Haiti and let the Dominicans enjoy the beauty of Haiti. Hearsay and as I don't use Twitter, I don't know if that is a true quote or not, but if so, something is seriously deranged.

There is no mention of Haiti in his page, you don't need twitter to access it.
One could have suspected that the statement made no damn sense.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There has been no tweet from the official POTUS account on #Haiti. Here is the President's message - https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...the-assassination-of-president-jovenel-moise/.

"We are shocked and saddened to hear of the horrific assassination of President Jovenel Moïse and the attack on First Lady Martine Moïse of Haiti. We condemn this heinous act, and I am sending my sincere wishes for First Lady Moïse’s recovery. The United States offers condolences to the people of Haiti, and we stand ready to assist as we continue to work for a safe and secure Haiti. "

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A once fertile part of the Island of Hispaniola has been denuded and the soil depleted.
It will be a major task to turn Haiti into a viable country with proper structures.
Maybe it didn't reach the level of soil erosion as in Haiti, but for much of the 20th century the most denude island in the Greater Antilles was Puerto Rico. A reforestation campaign has done wonders and now most of Puerto Rico's forest covered areas is new growth due to this campaign. As it should be evident to anyone that has traveled through much of the Dominican countryside, PR doesn't have the massive numbers of native species such as royal palm trees as is apparent in the DR, but before the island suffered massive deforestation the scenery in many areas was identical to the Dominican ones, particularly the forested areas. The point is that while Puerto Rico is an example that reforestation can be done, it also shows that the initial natural beauty once lost will be lost forever.

Some parts of the DR were also more lush than they are today. Seeing old photos of San Pedro de Macorís, it's noticeable the immense number of trees covering the landscape just outside of town. It isn't like that anymore. Unlike Haiti (and most countries in the hemisphere), the DR is one of four countries in the Americas that actually saw an increase in forest cover.

oAbuql.png

Perhaps reforestation can do greater improvements to Haiti than thought. What will remain true is that the original natural beauty of the place that depends on plants is gone forever. Haiti was once considered to be one of the most beautiful countries.

Last edited:

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Stay on topic people…
Fine but why is ok to ridicule Biden and as soon as it’s the other it’s suddenly off topic. Just wondering. There where several posts and you did nothing.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Fine but why is ok to ridicule Biden and as soon as it’s the other it’s suddenly off topic. Just wondering. There where several posts and you did nothing.

I don’t need a play by play from you about how many insults were directed toward Biden versus anyone else.

There are plenty of cheap shots made against the other side. Once it becomes a back and forth then you are all told to get back on topic.

You and everyone else needs to get back on topic if you want to continue being part of this thread.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Hhmm a positive about Biden is posted and deleted but a negative about Biden stays. It couldn’t be more obvious. If that was moderated I mean.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Hhmm a positive about Biden is posted and deleted but a negative about Biden stays. It couldn’t be more obvious. If that was moderated I mean.

Are you that dense or do you not understand how Moderators operate?

If a post needs to be removed then it will when a Moderator notices it and does so. We are not sitting here watching every post instantaneously. If a negative post is quoted with something positive then obviously the positive has to be removed also since it is quoting something negative.

You need to grow some thick skin. Another off topic post from you and expect a vacation from this site.

Reactions: Luperon