Tourist highway that will connect Santiago and Puerto Plata will be ready in a month

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
As far as the Autopista del Ambar, it seems as likely as the Cabarete Bypass (three machines and three office trailers still sittn' by the side of the highway in western Cabarete for months now, what's up with that? ), the public hospital for Sosua that is discussed each election, relocating the vendors on Sosua beach which has been planned for years, reopening the illegal closure of Encuentro accesses which the government seems fine with remaining "private" despite the 60 meter law about beaches being public, and world peace.

The Autopista is a great idea that should happen along with those other projects. Not expecting it any time soon since it is a fairly major project and this part of the island is not nearly as important as Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. The south will always take priority over the north.

Glad to hear the tourist highway is days from being in totally good condition.
Agree with the bypass... machines just standing there rusting. Does not make sense. And yeah make one bypass of Sosua... almost worse than Cabarete nowadays...But I disagree on PC and SD. Abinader and PRM leaders have a lot of property on the North Coast and yeah buying and developing in Playa Dorada. And yes they have all the rights to focus on the North Coast for some years after PLD only focused on PC and SD for 16 years... Fingers crossed.

Abinader promised that the Ambar road would be ready in 3 years. I do not think (hope...) he will break that promise.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Agree with the bypass... machines just standing there rusting. Does not make sense. And yeah make one bypass of Sosua... almost worse than Cabarete nowadays...But I disagree on PC and SD. Abinader and PRM leaders have a lot of property on the North Coast and yeah buying and developing in Playa Dorada. And yes they have all the rights to focus on the North Coast for some years after PLD only focused on PC and SD for 16 years... Fingers crossed.

Abinader promised that the Ambar road would be ready in 3 years. I do not think (hope...) he will break that promise.
I know they have that property on the north coast, including the failed resort near Perla Marina not far at all from those rusting machines, but there just does not seem to be any real focus on the north coast despite that. Time will tell on that and the Amber Road 3 year completion. I hope you are correct.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Rode through there about 3 weeks ago...98% finished and looking good and smooth...nice

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I know they have that property on the north coast, including the failed resort near Perla Marina not far at all from those rusting machines, but there just does not seem to be any real focus on the north coast despite that. Time will tell on that and the Amber Road 3 year completion. I hope you are correct.

Well during the first 3 months in office he was probably here on the NC more times than Danilo in 8 years... But agree, been less lately. Maybe bc of Covid. And yes, let us hope that he fulfills his promises.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
CV19 being here, there and everywhere to stay, will eventually have to be dealt with so progress can be made on the north coast. I agree about the potential reason for some delays since recovering tourism in PC has been job 1 for months now.

Reactions: HDR

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Well during the first 3 months in office he was probably here on the NC more times than Danilo in 8 years... But agree, been less lately. Maybe bc of Covid. And yes, let us hope that he fulfills his promises.
Promises.. promises... promises....if only a small percent come to fruition, the changes will be immense... the only problem is the $$$$.............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Promises.. promises... promises....if only a small percent come to fruition, the changes will be immense... the only problem is the $$$$.............
He was probably just visiting his relatives who live in Sea Horse Ranch.

Reactions: USA DOC

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I love that road, but my kids don't. They get car sick at twisties. We had to pull over one day as we were very close to having an accident inside the car. A local man saw us rubbing the back of a vomiting child and came over to us and handed us a lemon (lime). He told my son to scratch the skin of the lemon with a fingernail and sniff it.

It works! The nausea went and he felt fine. We always make sure we have a lemon in the car before we do long road trips from now on.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That road really has a lot of curves. There are very few straight stretches of road more than a hundred yards long - many less than that. The good news is the surface is beautiful and most of it is at least 50% wider than Hwy 21 to Moca and in some places it's twice as wide which makes going around the curves much safer.

Reactions: Yes Alfredo

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Drove the new Tourist road three weeks ago, almost complete except a very small interception between Yasica and Tubagua the road is finished...
Last time I drove it 2008 was totally destroyed.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Problem is corruption.
Though Luis is doing his best to change the culture.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The panorama touristica is indeed paved nicely and looks well done.
But if you are squeamish, have bad brakes or bad sway bar control, you should not take it as it is a curve-a-paloosa.

And expect any Dominicans with you to say it makes them mareado and carry a vomit bag as I took it Saturday and need less to say someone lost their breakfast.
Glad it was a rent-a-car and not my own

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I don't think is that bad, I drove that road thousands times all time of the day and during the worse weather conditions never had not issues.

JJ

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I don't think is that bad, I drove that road thousands times all time of the day and during the worse weather conditions never had not issues.

JJ
Agree. And this was before the paving for me also dozens of times.

Reactions: bachata

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The panorama touristica is indeed paved nicely and looks well done.
But if you are squeamish, have bad brakes or bad sway bar control, you should not take it as it is a curve-a-paloosa.

And expect any Dominicans with you to say it makes them mareado and carry a vomit bag as I took it Saturday and need less to say someone lost their breakfast.
Glad it was a rent-a-car and not my own

Speed has a lot to do with that motion.

Since positive camber is seldom to be found in suficiente gradient, due to the higher circulation speed than designed in those sections.

The gravity jerking motions carry over strongly into the cabin.

I took it no so long ago, and destroyed the front brakes of a 90’s sedan.

The issue is that they surfaced the road smooth, but the speed it was meant to be, must be observed or else.

Once you start to pickup speed, you forgo the speed limitations and let go of it.

It was good till La Cumbre, as far as I went that day.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

3 years is possible...
if they were to bring in the Chinese.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The Autopista Ambar is a major engineering undertaking unlike other highways that have been built here. They want to make it a straight line through the mountains. That's going to require sides of mountains to be removed and many bridge spans over ravines. It took them well over a year to build a small bridge in Jamoa and more than 2 years to repair the bridge near Navarette. This is just another pipe dream. You'll be lucky if it's even started in 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.