Temporary Residency Renewal in Puerto Plata

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
By just reading this I first of all just wanna say that I'm SO happy that I don't have to go through all this hassle anymore as of 1,5 years ago I'm a citizen, so no more renewals. But just as everybody else has commented, last time I did it, and I would be really surprised if anything has been changed since then, you do the renewal application online and then when DGM are ready with it you have to go to Santo Domingo to finish the process there. So nothing in Puerto Plata.
You and me both on the citizenship versus residency issue. Not everyone can make that decision since more countries than I realized don't allow dual citizenship.

The only place for residency renewals for the past several years has been the main office in Santo Domingo. More convenient because they set up appointments for renewals. Santiago has not been a renewal option for at least several years and Puerto Plata was never an option for renewals.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I never knew they used to do renewals in Santiago. Hopefully, now that basically the only reason to go to SD is for finger prints, photo, and residency card, that option will be available again soon. It won't help any of us on the North Coast much unless you could get a cedula there, too.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I never knew they used to do renewals in Santiago. Hopefully, now that basically the only reason to go to SD is for finger prints, photo, and residency card, that option will be available again soon. It won't help any of us on the North Coast much unless you could get a cedula there, too.
I don't expect it to change back to being able to use Santiago again. And there still is the separate agency issue that issues cedulas, once again in Santo Domingo.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Pablo Ruiz
Av.Gerl Ant. Imbert Barrera #24 Pto. Pta. Rep. Dom.
Email: fotoruiz.com@hotmail.com & pabloruizfoto@gmail.com
WhatsApp# 809-210-8989

google map

across the street from fire station.
Tried to do this online - with the new company's website - Dominicana Compania de Seguros. Couldn't get it to work.

Contacted Pablo Ruiz last Thursday.
Got to his office Friday morning. He took photos of passports, residencia cards and cedulas after we filled out paper copy of the same application form that didn't work online. Took about 20 minutes total. Saturday around noon got a Whatsapp from him with JPEG's of the Policy. He advised that the paper originals would probably arrive in his office in a few days.

Got a Whatsapp from him Monday afternoon - THE PAPER COPIES WERE AT HIS OFFICE READY FOR PICKUP
Is that amazing or what ? Can't say enough good things about Pablo Ruiz and highly recommend him for people on the North Coast.

PS - does anyone have recent knowledge of time "in evaluation" to actually get an appointment?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Tried to do this online - with the new company's website - Dominicana Compania de Seguros. Couldn't get it to work.

Got to his office Friday morning. He took photos of passports, residencia cards and cedulas after we filled out paper copy of the same application form that didn't work online. Took about 20 minutes total. Saturday around noon got a Whatsapp from him with JPEG's of the Policy. He advised that the paper originals would probably arrive in his office in a few days.

Got a Whatsapp from him Monday afternoon - THE PAPER COPIES WERE AT HIS OFFICE READY FOR PICKUP
Is that amazing or what ? Can't say enough good things about Pablo Ruiz and highly recommend him for people on the North Coast.

PS - does anyone have recent knowledge of time "in evaluation" to actually get an appointment?
Did the online for our residency renewal for the POP area. Thinking that at least the medical can be done locally and saves 1 of the 2 trips to S.D.
Waiting for a response...for 2 months. Our papers expire this week. Can NOT resubmit online. At a loss of what to do.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

I was just en evaluación for about 10 days

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
The saga continues. After more than 2 weeks IN PROCESS I went to the Migracion office in Puerto Plata. I explained that it looked like my application was "stuck". ( same thing happened last year ). She called Santo Domingo and after much discussion said they would call back in a few minutes. Sure enough they did. The lady in the office in Puerto Plata said that she was told the system was not working properly, and that I would get an email telling me to click PAY IN PERSON. Of course, as far as I knew, there was nothing to click on at that point. I left not really knowing what to do next.

Got home and checked online - GUESS WHAT ? My status had changed to SELECT PAYMENT METHOD. Now I am not sure whether to continue as in previous years, selecting PAY ON LINE. That seems to be what triggers you receiving an appointment date and time after you have paid by credit card online.

Anyone paid by credit card in the last few days? I don't want to trust paying in person - does selecting that option give you an appointment date and time like the ONLINE PAYMENT does ?

Do they accept credit card payment at your appointment at Migracion in Santo Domingo?

Any advice or recent experience that can help is appreciated.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Yes, they do. They also accept cards at the cedula office.
so do you advise to select "payment in person" as the lady in Puerto Plata office suggested ?

Will selecting this still give me an appointment date and time ?

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
so do you advise to select "payment in person" as the lady in Puerto Plata office suggested ?

I tried to pay online and it did not work. I finally clicked pay in person and was given my appointment. I paid in pesos at Immigration in Santo Domingo.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

I just paid online two weeks ago. No problem. I got an appointment date a couple days later. I think it has to be a credit card, not a debit card(?). If you pay in person, that is an extra step at DGM. Not sure how much extra time that might take(?).

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I just paid online two weeks ago. No problem. I got an appointment date a couple days later. I think it has to be a credit card, not a debit card(?). If you pay in person, that is an extra step at DGM. Not sure how much extra time that might take(?).

I have always paid " in person " at DGM and at JCE.
At DGM, you hand over your documents on the bunch of windows on the right hand side, than a few minutes later they call you over to one of the 4 windows on the left hand side..... where you pay your due.

Reactions: cavok