Labor, employers and government agree on new minimum wage scale

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Aumento-Salarial-Presidencia-1024x576.png

The National Wages Committee (CNS) reached an agreement for minimum wage increases. Labor Minister Luis Miguel de Camps announced the new classification of companies depending on number of employees and sales volumes. Minimum wages are set according to the new categories. The agreement was reached during a meeting of the CNS, the government body that brings together employers, labor and government and meets every two years to set minimum wages.

Companies with more than 150 employees and sales of more than RD$202 million will raise minimum wage pay by 19%, bringing the minimum wage to RD$21,000.

Medium-sized companies will pay 59% more, with the minimum wage increasing to RD$19,250. Medium-sized companies have 51 to 150 workers and sales of RD$54 to RD$202 million a year.

Businesses with 10 to 50 workers and sales from RD$8 million to RD$54 million will qualify as...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now "everyone" will think they are going to get a raise of 19% regardless of what they make already.

It won't matter if they were already making the same as or more than the new minimum wage.
That confusion and lack of understanding happens when the government does this.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
When they say the wages...Why don't they also say for what time period???

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When they say the wages...Why don't they also say for what time period???
Do you mean when it goes into effect? Companies may apply the wage increase fully starting 16 July 2021 or may apply half starting this July and the full amount as of 1 January 2022.

Anyone getting paid hourly, weekly, biweekly, monthly or yearly will get wages at least up to the new minimums by January of 2022. Did I miss your real question?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
OK, so monthly wages are being used. I musta missed why that is significant versus any other time period, since monthly wages would translate into hourly, weekly , annual salaries, etc.

A percentage increase is simply a percentage increase unless I am missing a detail here. Please inform me as to the significance of it being monthly wages.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I recall having read this somewhere a while ago, but feel free to prove me wrong as well: I believe the DR is one of those countries where the difference in wages between management/owners and regular employees has been the most significant, even within South America? So that is to say that the money is there to pay these wages, but the management/owners rather keep all the money to themselves...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well the government has already told private schools they arent allowed to ask for more money nor charge incriptions, yet still give everyone raises? Better they let the market decide.

Reactions: JD Jones

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Well the government has already told private schools they arent allowed to ask for more money nor charge incriptions, yet still give everyone raises? Better they let the market decide.

About time they dealt with the bunch of thieves running some of the private schools (obviously not all schools). Cathedral School in the capital doubled the number of children in its classes, "due to an admin error" but still charged the same, despite there not being enough desks and chairs in the rooms for the kids. No interest at all in education, just get the cash in the bank. Now they have a rough year, I imagine the schools will all want to do a bit of Covid catch-up and so I think it's good that the government insists they don't put rates up. Of course they will put them up, but it's good that the government is on the case with this.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I recall having read this somewhere a while ago, but feel free to prove me wrong as well: I believe the DR is one of those countries where the difference in wages between management/owners and regular employees has been the most significant, even within South America? So that is to say that the money is there to pay these wages, but the management/owners rather keep all the money to themselves...
It's the same in every capitalist country.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
About time they dealt with the bunch of thieves running some of the private schools (obviously not all schools). Cathedral School in the capital doubled the number of children in its classes, "due to an admin error" but still charged the same, despite there not being enough desks and chairs in the rooms for the kids. No interest at all in education, just get the cash in the bank. Now they have a rough year, I imagine the schools will all want to do a bit of Covid catch-up and so I think it's good that the government insists they don't put rates up. Of course they will put them up, but it's good that the government is on the case with this.
Lots of non paying clients to deal with and really not many ways to make them pay. Through the whole pandemic, other than the last few months they have not allowed any in class teaching. We have limited our classes to a maximum of 14 and the government has had inspectors in about 5 or 6 times a month, so there really is not a way to have double the amount of children in a class, at least not in a classroom. We are fortunate to own our buildings but many private schools rent their building and whether you have students or not you have to pay wages, phone, electricity, garbage pickup, water....etc. I suspect many private schools will never open again. Goveenment should have no say in what a private business charges for a service. The clients will decide what is too expensive for their budget. It is a very fine line, a balancing act, to decide what to charge clients so that you can keep them, pay your staff well, and still make a decent profit. Just before the pandemic hit we did a 12 million peso expansion with no client to full the new classrooms. No profit to be had. Are you a business owner Maria?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Lots of non paying clients to deal with and really not many ways to make them pay. Through the whole pandemic, other than the last few months they have not allowed any in class teaching. We have limited our classes to a maximum of 14 and the government has had inspectors in about 5 or 6 times a month, so there really is not a way to have double the amount of children in a class, at least not in a classroom. We are fortunate to own our buildings but many private schools rent their building and whether you have students or not you have to pay wages, phone, electricity, garbage pickup, water....etc. I suspect many private schools will never open again. Goveenment should have no say in what a private business charges for a service. The clients will decide what is too expensive for their budget. It is a very fine line, a balancing act, to decide what to charge clients so that you can keep them, pay your staff well, and still make a decent profit. Just before the pandemic hit we did a 12 million peso expansion with no client to full the new classrooms. No profit to be had. Are you a business owner Maria?

Yes I have owned businesses and run businesses so I know how it works. And I know that schools have had a very hard time in the pandemic. I'm sure your school is ethically run but there are many who just want the cash and don't seem to care much about kids education. At least this is what a lot of my Dominican friends tell me and has been my experience so far.

Reactions: malko

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes I have owned businesses and run businesses so I know how it works. And I know that schools have had a very hard time in the pandemic. I'm sure your school is ethically run but there are many who just want the cash and don't seem to care much about kids education. At least this is what a lot of my Dominican friends tell me and has been my experience so far.
Nobody complains more than Dominicans, about almost everything. They think nothing of calling you a thief....etc , just because they don't want to pay what they owe. My wife, being Dominican and having owned her school since 1993, has heard every insult they can throw , just because they don't want to pay what they owe. She has one hard rule, if you leave the school owing money you cant come back.

• Angry
Reactions: johne and Aguaita29

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Nobody complains more than Dominicans, about almost everything. They think nothing of calling you a thief....etc , just because they don't want to pay what they owe. My wife, being Dominican and having owned her school since 1993, has heard every insult they can throw , just because they don't want to pay what they owe. She has one hard rule, if you leave the school owing money you cant come back.

It is a bit worrying that you run a school and have such a low opinion of Dominicans generally. Hopefully those aren't the values you are teaching the kids. As I said I just wonder if we live in completely different countries.

Regarding your wife's policy, if someone genuinely doesn't have the money to pay - maybe they lost their job through the pandemic as so many have - then are you saying it's fine to deny their child the chance to continue their education? Surely you should be giving people time to pay given the terrible chain of events that have happened?

Reactions: chrisgy and johne

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It is a bit worrying that you run a school and have such a low opinion of Dominicans generally. Hopefully those aren't the values you are teaching the kids. As I said I just wonder if we live in completely different countries.

Regarding your wife's policy, if someone genuinely doesn't have the money to pay - maybe they lost their job through the pandemic as so many have - then are you saying it's fine to deny their child the chance to continue their education? Surely you should be giving people time to pay given the terrible chain of events that have happened?
Reading comprehension problems? Did I say anywhere, all Dominicans. People always have a choice. Their children can finish their education in free public school or another institution. Most of our clients have not lost their jobs and many receive money from the states or Europe as well. People that have genuine finacial issues and integrety come to you and plead their case and make every effort to pay. Our rates are very low, less than 2000 pesos per month.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Reading comprehension problems? Did I say anywhere, all Dominicans.

So when you said

Nobody complains more than Dominicans, about almost everything. They think nothing of calling you a thief....etc , just because they don't want to pay what they owe.

the reader was not to infer you were talking about all Dominicans ? In which case it would imply that you have a low opinion of Dominicans which is the point I made.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Perhaps Mr. Saunders in your school, sorry, your Dominican wife's school, you don't teach the students pronouns or adjectives that would have made "DominicanS" (with a capital "s" ) clearer to the readers. Clearly you didn't say "ALL Dominicans" but what you wrote it is implied. Without a doubt. Have no fear we all make mistakes,

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Perhaps Mr. Saunders in your school, sorry, your Dominican wife's school, you don't teach the students pronouns or adjectives that would have made "DominicanS" (with a capital "s" ) clearer to the readers. Clearly you didn't say "ALL Dominicans" but what you wrote it is implied. Without a doubt. Have no fear we all make mistakes,
Assumptions on your part, but I could have stated some Dominicans to make it clearer for those with a chip on their shoulder. I teach math.

Reactions: windeguy