Government will insist that all are vaccinated

Yes Alfredo

Banned
Jun 26, 2021
Yes
Everyone is guessing, governments, medical personnel, etc... Because the situation changes almost daily. What was good today may not be the answer for tomorrow.
I agree. Good science dictates that but it's not what I referred to.

The constant mindless guessing and speculating without a shred of data or science makes up almost of of some posters input. Luckily for the offenders I'm not in charge of things and have no interest in changing that. I do wish that DR1 in its quest to be "the #1 English news site about the DR" or whatever....would tighten up on the nonsense but that'll never happen. What a shame.

Reactions: Gadfly

Yes Alfredo

Banned
Jun 26, 2021
Yes
U noticed that as well..
This Recycled Sock Puppet just does not know when to stop..
He hopes the Olympics are cancelled permanently.
What kind of person even thinks like this ?

oh wait I know .. a Bipolar Bear .
A rational person who values life over profits but clearly we disagree.

Not sure what you're on, or off of, but you need to adjust your meds ;) , and you're projecting with all this bipolar stuff LOL

P.S. I'd put you on ignore but you're too amusing to miss out on (Not) :p

Reactions: Gadfly

Yes Alfredo

Banned
Jun 26, 2021
Yes
Abinader and his government now will have to balance the spread of covid in the DR, with the need of tourism revenues and jobs.
No easy solution for him, other than encouraging Dominicans to get vaccinated.

The influx of US tourists should be of concern to the DR.

The Delta variant of the coronavirus now accounts for an estimated 83% of all new sequenced COVID-19 cases in the US, the CDC director said.

Delta variant: ‘A perfect storm is brewing’ in certain parts America, health official explains​

According to CDC Director Rochelle Walensky, the Delta variant now accounts for83% of all COVID cases in the U.S., a 33% increase from two weeks ago. Walensky added that 99.5% of all COVID-related deaths in the country over recent months have been among unvaccinated Americans.

Current COVID-19 hot spots in the U.S. include Missouri, Arkansas, and Florida, according to the Mayo Clinic, highlighting Parekh's point. Florida now leads the U.S. in COVID cases, accounting for roughly 20% of all new infections in the country.

'What I'm most worried about is disinformation'​

Most of the remaining unvaccinated Americans haven’t budged from their positionsof opting out of the vaccine.
Social media plays a major role in disseminating disinformation.
“At the end of the day, Americans will have to decide for themselves,” Parekh said. “I hope that everyone gets vaccinated, but Americans should have the facts to make the decision. But disinformation, when you have actors out there that are willingly falsifying information, I think absolutely private sector partners such as the tech industry need to take steps. They need to be public about the steps they’re taking.”

'Vaccination is really our route out of this pandemic'​

While disinformation continues spreading, more and more vulnerable Americans are falling ill to the virus.

Hospitalizations are up 45% and deaths are up 75% over the span of the past two weeks, despite testing decreasing by 13%. The pace of vaccinations has begun to flatten out as well.

Yet, all the tinfoil hat types are still claiming it's "just the flu". I truly hope that they all catch a nasty case of '19 and come to see the error of their ways

Reactions: Tarheel

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am vaccinated.

I chose the 'tried & true' type vaccine rather than a new formula (mRNA)
I have more faith in the older type vaccine.

In defense of the anti-vax crowd,
We need to remember that thses mRNA types are NOT fully approved - emergency use only.
The studies are still ongoing for a final, full approval.

Today's NYTimes has a good article on this - for those interested

Reactions: Yes Alfredo

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I am vaccinated.

We need to remember that thses mRNA types are NOT fully approved - emergency use only.

Me too, with (I think) both type of vaccines: Sinovac and Pfizer.
In my opinion it's better to avoid getting really sick (or die) now then worry about the effects of the vaccines in the long run.
But that's my opinion of course.

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
While there's a lack of conclusive data on vaccine mixing a number of countries have been doing it for some time - namely in Europe with mRNA vaccines. A study out of Spain found that a dose of AZ followed by Pfizer was more effective in creating antibodies than 2 shots of AZ alone - though this stat is misleading as antibodies are not the only way for the body to defend itself against the virus.

Worth noting that those countries weren't administering a booster shot nor mixing an inactivated vaccine such as Sinovac with an mRNA jab. That cocktail really has no long-term studies to speak of, and AFAIK, of all the other countries currently experimenting with it the Dom Rep is the only one advocating for a third jab with only a 30 day wait from the second Sinovac shot. The others are either telling people to wait for six months (Quatar, SA) and/or use an mRNA vaccine as the second shot (Phi, Malaysia...). Personally, I see no need to use the proposed cocktail at this time, odds are good to great that Sinovac won't let me die as its efficacy in preventing ICU visits/deaths is almost as good as all the other available vaccines (range in the high 80s for SVac to low 90s for the others).

More here:

What you need to know about mixing COVID vaccines

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Some people are doing that.... mixing vaccines - no proven data yet on that

· Posted: Jun 01, 2021​

Canada recommends mixing and matching AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines​

Published Tuesday, July 13, 2021
OTTAWA -- Amid attention on what the World Health Organization’s (WHO) chief scientist recently said about mixing and matching COVID-19 vaccines, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that Canada’s vaccination strategy is “bearing out,” with increasing take-up and steadily declining new infections.

Booster vaccines targeting Delta variants are still in the trial development and testing stage.
No action recommended for those twice vaccinated at the moment.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Yep, da market go down, da market go up. For various reasons or no reason at all.

My point is this about curfews in the DR: Unless the DR is actually going to force people to be vaccinated there is NO WAY numbers will hit the magical 70% fully vaccinated numbers that the DR government says it will require for a Province to cancel the curfews. Unless they make those numbers like like what is happening in Altagracia to open up Punta Cana completely and help tourism there. So, they might as well just open up every province since there is little reason now for anyone to get vaccinated who already has not done it.

Global immunity seems to be an impossibility as you point out with India, Pakistan, etc... So, CV19 is here, there and everywhere to stay, and what will the DR do if few more want vaccinations and Provinces never (really) hit 70%? Keep the curfew forever and ever and that is a very long time? Make up fake numbers and reopen? I await their decisions.

You several times posted your opinion to open everything up in the DR and globally.
Of course the tourism $ in the DR are mostly made in Punta Cana, that's where is focus is for most impact.

As far a opening globally and what the consequences may be to the world and tourism,
We have a perfect test case.
In the US everything has long opened up.

The covid virus and delta variants are dismissed in many States with varying legislation.
No cohesive strategy in the Republic.
Even now in Summer we can see various surges in several States, the unvaccinated and now many children in hospitals with covid.
Several States even have a no mask mandate.

This test case with many willing participants will show us what the effects of opening up, no restrictions, no vaccinations for millions,
Will have in a prosperous country with vaccines for all and great medical infrastructure.
We will watch till next Summer and extrapolate the results for poor counties with poor infrastructure.

In the DR we can only hope that people continue to get vaccinated and that better vaccinations like Pfizer become widely available.

Young children will pay the price if enough US adults don't get vaccinated against Covid-19, expert says.​

In 46 states, the rates of new cases this past week are at least 10% higher than the rates of new cases the previous week, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
In Los Angeles County, the country's most populous, there has been a 500% increase in cases over the past month, according to the county's latest health data.
As cases increase nationally, only 48.2% of the population is fully vaccinated, according to datafrom the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And though many may brush off the risk of low vaccination rates to children, citing their low Covid-19 mortality rates, Hotez said they are still at risk for serious complications.
A third of Covid-19 survivors suffer 'brain disease,' study shows

A third of Covid-19 survivors suffer 'brain disease,' study shows
In Mississippi, seven children are in intensive care with Covid-19, and two are on ventilators, State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs tweeted Tuesday evening.Many more adolescents could be hospitalized, Hotez said, adding that up to 30% of children infected will develop long-haul Covid-19.

Covid-19 pandemic drives US life expectancy fall.​

Life expectancy in the United States declined by a year-and-a-half during 2020, according to health officials.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data showed the average US lifespan dropped from 78.8 years in 2019 to 77.3 years in 2020.
Researchers said the pandemic was mostly to blame for the decline, with record-high drug deaths also noted as a contributing factor.
The data comes amid a resurgence of Covid-19 cases across the country.
Hospital rates are also on the rise with daily deaths now almost 50% higher than last week, according to officials.
More than 600,000 Americans have died so far during the coronavirus pandemic.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I am vaccinated.

Most important is that you have protection to avoid the worst, hospitalization, intubation death.

1. mRNA vaccine technology is not entirely new
Vaccines such as the inactivated polio vaccine, or most flu vaccines, use inactivated viruses to trigger a person's immune system to respond to that disease-causing organism. In other vaccines, such as the hepatitis B vaccine, an individual protein made by that organism is injected instead to trigger a similar response.
mRNA vaccines, however, trick the body into making the viral protein itself which, in turn, triggers an immune response.
Although the COVID-19 vaccines made by Pfizer/BioNTech are the first mRNA vaccines to complete all clinical trial stages and be licensed for use, the technology has been around for a while.
Human trials of cancer vaccines using the same mRNA technology have been taking place since 2011. "If there was a real problem with the technology, we'd have seen it before now for sure," said Prof. Goldman.
Because the technology can be deployed extremely rapidly, and clinical trials have been so successful, mRNA platforms will be an important means of preparing for future epidemics, he says.
2. mRNA vaccines do not alter your DNA
A concern that some have had about the mRNA vaccines is that they could change people's DNA. But that idea is 'completely false' and has 'no scientific basis," says Prof. Goldman.
"The (vaccine) mRNA will not enter the nucleus of the cells, where our DNA is."
Once the injected mRNA enters a human cell, it degrades quickly and only stays in the body for a couple of days. This is why people need two injections to develop the best immune response, he says.

3. mRNA vaccines are very specific
The novel coronavirus, or SARS-CoV-2, has a complex structure, and different parts of the virus trigger the immune system to produce different antibodies to neutralise the virus.
If an unvaccinated person catches the virus, they will produce antibodies that prevent the virus from entering human cells. They may also generate antibodies that do not have much impact. And in some cases, a person may produce antibodies which actually help the virus enter cells.
mRNA vaccines are much more specific. They are designed to only trigger an immune response to the virus's spike protein, which is just one component of the viral membrane and enables the virus to invade our cells.
To be sure this is the case, researchers are carefully monitoring that the vaccine does not trigger an unwanted immune response.
"So far this has not been shown for the (COVID-19) vaccines." But it 'will remain important to ensure the immune response triggered by the vaccine is focused on the viral spike protein," said Prof. Goldman.

History​

Early research​

Timeline of some key discoveries and advances in the development of mRNA-based drug technology.
In 1989, the first successful transfection of mRNA packaged within a liposomal nanoparticle into a cell was published.[3][15][16] In 1990, "naked" (or unprotected) mRNA was injected into the muscle of mice.[3][17] These studies were the first evidence that in vitro transcribed mRNA could deliver the genetic information to produce proteins within living cell tissue.[3] At this time mRNA was proposed for immunization purposes.[18][19]

In 1993, liposome-encapsulated RNA was shown to stimulate T-cells in vivo, and in 1994, RNA proved useful as a vaccine to elicit both humoral and cellular immune response against a pathogen.[3][20][21]

Development​

In 2005, successful application of modified nucleosides as a medium to get mRNA inside cells without setting off the body's defense system was reported.[3][22] In 2010, the mRNA-focused biotechnology company, Moderna, was started to develop mRNA biotechnologies.[22][3]

In 2010, US government agency DARPA launched a biotech research program called ADEPT as part of its mission to develop emerging technologies for the US military.[23] In 2011, DARPA recognized the potential of nucleic acid technology for defense against pandemics and began to invest in the field through ADEPT.[23][24] DARPA's grants were seen as a vote of confidence which in turn encouraged other government agencies and private investors to also invest in mRNA technology.[24] In 2013, DARPA awarded a $25 million grant to Moderna.[25]

mRNA drugs for cardiovascular, metabolic and renal diseases, and selected targets for cancer were initially linked to serious side effects.[26][27] mRNA vaccines for human use have been studied for rabies, Zika virus disease, cytomegalovirus, and influenza.[28]

Acceleration​

In December 2020, Moderna and BioNTech obtained FDA emergency use authorization for their mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines, which had been funded by Operation Warp Speed.[22] On 2 December 2020, seven days after its final eight-week trial, the UK's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), became the first global medicines regulator in history to approve an mRNA vaccine, granting emergency authorization for Pfizer–BioNTech's BNT162b2 COVID-19 vaccine for widespread use.[7][8][29] On 11 December 2020, the FDA gave emergency use authorization for the Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.[30]

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004