Lionel Messi vacations in DR

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Lionel-Messi-en-Romana-ARECOA.jpg

The FC Barcelona football star, Lionel Messi left the beaches of Miami for those of the Dominican Republic. The Argentinian football star was photographed vacationing last week in a villa in Casa de Campo with his family. He is considered by many in the know the best player in the world.

For the few that may not know, Wikipedia explains that Messi is a professional footballer who plays for and captains the Argentina national team. Messi has won a record six Ballon d’Or awards, a record six European Golden Shoes, and in 2020 was named to the Ballon d’Or Dream Team. In 2019, he was labeled as the greatest football player of the last 25 years by FourFourTwo, in 2021 as the world’s best men’s player and playmaker of the decade 2011–2020 by IFFHS. He has spent his entire professional career with Barcelona, where he has won a club-record 34 trophies, including ten La Liga titles...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CottageCountry

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Never heard of him. Hope he has a good time and tells his friends.

Is that area of the DR totally curfew free at the moment?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
My 18 y/o kid loves him as he is a big Barca fan. If he knew in advance he was staying there, he would have asked me to go there for a few days.

I looked on their website and it appears they have 3 distinct properties. So even if we did go, the odds are 2-1 we would stay at the wrong one.

As an aside, I took my oldest kid to Montreal to see the Cardinals play the Expos when we knew the Expos were relocating to DC. For a very high fee, we stayed in the same hotel as the Cardinals. Never saw one.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My stepsons favorite soccer player. When we went to South America the only thing he wanted was a Messi jersey. Guess Winy isn't a soccer fan.
You guessed it. You would not have had to guess if my previous response had not been deleted. I never heard of Messi because I have never watched a soccer game. er, football, whatever.

I hope he has a good time in the DR and tells his friends about it.

• Haha

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Err, football.
same thing NALs, same thing. My Dominican stepson played in the catholic boys league in Jarabacoa, then in Canada he played rep soccer (futbol) in British Columbia, then Rep soccer in Ontario as well. He still plays on a team in Calgary with other Latinos, mainly Colombians and El Salvadorans. I think that the more people like Messi vacation in the DR the more the word gets out that it is a good place to come to , all is good.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You guessed it. You would not have had to guess if my previous response had not been deleted. I never heard of Messi because I have never watched a soccer game. er, football, whatever.

I hope he has a good time in the DR and tells his friends about it.

Messi is one of the best soccer player in the history of soccer. He is in the top 10 of most followed person in the world on Instagram and can command millions for promoting a product on Instagram. That s the way world goes nowadays.

Plus, Messi is a humble family man with no scandals (except tax evasions, lol), very well regarded, a win-win for this island.

Messi, being in DR, is a HUGE promo for the DR, much better than any logo/slogan than DR tourism board can come up with. Now, I wouldn't surprised if he were here all expenses paid and even more.

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Messi is one of the best soccer player in the history of soccer. He is in the top 10 of most followed person in the world on Instagram and can command millions for promoting a product on Instagram. That s the way world goes nowadays.

Plus, Messi is a shumble family man with no scandals (except tax evasions, lol), very well regarded, a win-win for this island.

Messi, being in DR, is a HUGE promo for the DR, much better than any logo/slogan than DR tourism board can come up with. Now, I wouldn't surprised if he were here all expenses paid and even more.
You're from Africa and lived in France, now in the DR. Soccer? 😲

Reactions: Africaida

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Never heard of him either. Where I am from "soccer" was for people that could not make the football, basketball or baseball team. It was a consolation sport.
I could not have stated it better. And exactly why I never heard of him as well.

Others might feel differently but what you stated is a simple truth.