Seaweed is back

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If so it will be a nightmare for Bavaro/PC. Depending on season, it has always been there...but manageable, never seen it like it was this summer.
I wonder if all the fertilizer nitrates....etc running into the sea make a difference in growth.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
If so it will be a nightmare for Bavaro/PC. Depending on season, it has always been there...but manageable, never seen it like it was this summer.
You would think that with all the cheap labor around, they would spend a few dollars and at least do a weekly cleanup.
I walked Bavaro yesterday, and if you werent at an AI, it was bad

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
It appears that the best way to deal with the Sargazo is by applying a line that captures it offshore and prevents it reaches the beach.

Here is one example I took from the satelite image of Cap Cana in Google Earth. The Sargazo is clearly visible as a dark spot in the sea.
AkIVJj.png

This other example of Punta Cana shows that it works, but they probably didn't got rid of the Sargazo that reached the beach before the line was placed.
AkIGUb.png

The line plus cleaning the beach every morning could help reduce substantially the effects of the Sargazo.
These images are not taken Friday July 30 correct? I checked Google Earth and these images are from May 30 this year.

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
I really question whether you have spent a lot of time in DR to make this post. I don't actually like beaches all that much and that's why I hate islands like Antigua (been there 9 times) Barbados (11 times) Dominica (4 times). Absolutely zilch to do in those places. DR, in my opinion, is packed with things to do that don't involve beaches. The capital is a huge city, almost the same size as Los Angeles, with a world of things to do, great nightlife (normally in any case), good shopping, parks, museums, historic sites, bars, restaurants, the list goes on. The interior of the island is fascinating, the mountains are breathtaking, a drive through the agricultural areas is interesting. You can do adventure sports like whitewater rafting in Jarabacoa, mountain biking, rock climbing. You mention safety, but compared to countries like Jamaica or even Mexico we are way safer and especially for tourists in AI's it is rare to hear of anyone having serious problems. Anyone who interferes with the tourist dollar on DR gets dealt with very quickly by the police.

I would also take issue with the idea that the seaweed will ever cause tourists to stop coming. I believe that some airlines and holiday companies have always sent their customers an advisory that there is a risk of seaweed in Punta Cana, and so far it doesn't seem to have put people off.

On your final point, have you not noticed that the current president is trying to do just that? Eliminate corruption. Ensure rules are enforced. Sure that can't have passed you by?
Disagree completely. You are in complete denial about the reality of DR. And compare Santo Domingo with LA? Words are hard to come by after reading your words. The tourist dollar, greedy overzealous invest bankers and hoteliers are ruining the one area at the moment PC and because raineri and hazoury are making hand over fist $ they do not care to keep up with infrastructure just keep overbuilding. And you are citing the natural beauty of our country while actually now the tourist crowds are only in Bavaro which is already being ruined with garbage. Have you recently been out to Juanillo which was such a gorgeous beach..now being overbuilt in Cap Cana with more and more buildings and barely recognizable. You mention all the great things that are available to do here but fail to mention how difficult it is to do anything because there is hardly money that seems to go to infrastructure in the rest of the country. This is a beautiful country with no real sounding vision for the future.
So maybe I will be reprimanded by disagreeing with You.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
These images are not taken Friday July 30 correct? I checked Google Earth and these images are from May 30 this year.
I stayed in one of beachfront buildings that you can see on the first photo all July, and I can confirm that it only got worse last week of July.

Also you may notice the color of the water in the canal (left bottom corner of the first photo), it's where all the rotten seaweeds go, you can feel the bad smell from that canal from a mile away.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Sure it will. Why come to Bavaro/PC if you can't swim in the ocean? Just to relax in a pool full of pee and enjoy the smell of rotten seaweed from the beach?

Reactions: HDR

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Regarding Cap Cana.... this is the color of the water in canals now... imagine how it smells. (this is the place from the satellite image posted by NAL)

XlkmWS.jpg
3AqnmT.jpg

And this is what you see along the beach and it smells that bad that you don't want to come close to it (yes they clean it every day but more seaweed come faster than they can clean it all.. and yes, that line mentioned in some posts above is not helping).

voKcuk.jpg

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Disagree completely. You are in complete denial about the reality of DR. And compare Santo Domingo with LA? Words are hard to come by after reading your words. The tourist dollar, greedy overzealous invest bankers and hoteliers are ruining the one area at the moment PC and because raineri and hazoury are making hand over fist $ they do not care to keep up with infrastructure just keep overbuilding. And you are citing the natural beauty of our country while actually now the tourist crowds are only in Bavaro which is already being ruined with garbage. Have you recently been out to Juanillo which was such a gorgeous beach..now being overbuilt in Cap Cana with more and more buildings and barely recognizable. You mention all the great things that are available to do here but fail to mention how difficult it is to do anything because there is hardly money that seems to go to infrastructure in the rest of the country. This is a beautiful country with no real sounding vision for the future.
So maybe I will be reprimanded by disagreeing with You.
100% aGREED.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I really question whether you have spent a lot of time in DR to make this post. I don't actually like beaches all that much and that's why I hate islands like Antigua (been there 9 times) Barbados (11 times) Dominica (4 times). Absolutely zilch to do in those places. DR, in my opinion, is packed with things to do that don't involve beaches. The capital is a huge city, almost the same size as Los Angeles, with a world of things to do, great nightlife (normally in any case), good shopping, parks, museums, historic sites, bars, restaurants, the list goes on. The interior of the island is fascinating, the mountains are breathtaking, a drive through the agricultural areas is interesting. You can do adventure sports like whitewater rafting in Jarabacoa, mountain biking, rock climbing. You mention safety, but compared to countries like Jamaica or even Mexico we are way safer and especially for tourists in AI's it is rare to hear of anyone having serious problems. Anyone who interferes with the tourist dollar on DR gets dealt with very quickly by the police.

I would also take issue with the idea that the seaweed will ever cause tourists to stop coming. I believe that some airlines and holiday companies have always sent their customers an advisory that there is a risk of seaweed in Punta Cana, and so far it doesn't seem to have put people off.

On your final point, have you not noticed that the current president is trying to do just that? Eliminate corruption. Ensure rules are enforced. Sure that can't have passed you by?
First, why even bring up SD in a discussion about seaweed. There is not even a beach there... "The capital is a huge city, almost the same size as Los Angeles, with a world of things to do, great nightlife (normally in any case), good shopping, parks, museums, historic sites, bars, restaurants, the list goes on. " Well you forgot to mention the great traffic situation...:rolleyes: It is by far the worst big city I ever been to and only go there when I need to. But if you want a big city....Barcelona, Valencia, etc etc.. That said I like Abinader... some focus on the North Coast, after 16 years of just focusing on the Capital and Punta Cana. Seaweed is the Karma

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
some focus on the North Coast, after 16 years of just focusing on the Capital and Punta Cana. Seaweed is the Karma
I think it's only a question of time when seaweed will invade the North Coast and Samana. Actually, some members reported that it's already started in some places there. It will be just one big Sargasso Sea all around here in a few years.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Nadie 21 . I regret that I must totally agree with you on your overall point of view. I live in la Romana but nearly every week I visit other places in the eastern peninsular to visit friends or to shop or to play golf . The entire area from Macao in the north all the way down to the Cap Cana development and west to Veron is a planning disaster and as ugly an area as you could find in the DR . But most of the millions of tourists see nothing of the developments as they land and are whisked away to one of the many AI hotels with absolutely no need nor desire to leave the boundaries of their hotel. And when they do leave they destroy areas like around Macao . I do not think you can place much blame on Raineri who is the Chairman of the Grupo Punta Cana which owns and manages the airport that is used by guests at all the hotels which have about 4000 to 5000 bedrooms,maybe more. Actually the area around the Punta Cana Resort and the Cap Cana Resort is reasonably well laid out and cared for . I am sorry about the beaches inside the Cap Cana resort which is only the responsibility of the resort. However ,driving along the autopista extension from the round about all the way north is dreadful and that includes all the areas between the ocean and the autopista.
I do not know if you can lay the blame with the Altagracia province administration or with the Government but no one has been willing to get in the way of the money that comes with this development and of course there are massive opportunities for corruption as building regulations are overlooked for dollars . Buildings exceed the maximum height and beaches are closed off to the Dominican people.
Personally I would be very happy if somehow all the tourist development could cease west of Otra Banda but even that is being too optimistic as Bayahibe has already become a smaller version of Bavaro .So maybe if all these poorly planned tourist developments could be contained in the Alta Gracia province,then the beauty of the rest of the country could be preserved with proper planning

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Mods. Is this post about seaweed, or about over-development and planning issues on the East Coast? Or just a general thread where anyone who doesn't like DR can rant and rant and shout down anyone else who does?

May I suggest that all posts which are not related to seaweed on this thread are deleted to try to get people to stay on track?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Actually that's good, less Dominicans on the beach = less trash and noise on the beach. I wish there was some tourist areas where Dominicans are not allowed at all. I remember Varadero 20 years ago, when Cubans were not allowed on the beaches there, it was paradise.
About as racist as one could get with-in the rules of TOS. BTW, it is their beach, remember? Only IMO, of course I could be wrong.;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Anyone can access Bávaro Beach through El Cortecito. There are no signs saying "this way to the public access of the beach," but a person that doesn't stay in a resort and doesn't want to buy a one-day-pass can access the beach with no hassle through there. Just saying...

Reactions: ALLOR925

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Anyone can access Bávaro Beach through El Cortecito. There are no signs saying "this way to the public access of the beach," but a person that doesn't stay in a resort and doesn't want to buy a one-day-pass can access the beach with no hassle through there. Just saying...
Yes, there are many ways to access beaches in Bavaro. A good one is to go to Capt. Cooks, eat fresh fish right on the beach. And close to the restaurant you can charter a fishing boat. And you will catch fish with these guys. And nice ones. They go way out.

Reactions: ALLOR925

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am so glad that so glad that some of the beaches still are accessible to those not staying in the hotels ..So many hotels used to have security guards that scare away people who were not guests..but now I guess the seaweed does that job.

Reactions: ALLOR925 and PCMike

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
First, why even bring up SD in a discussion about seaweed. There is not even a beach there... "The capital is a huge city, almost the same size as Los Angeles, with a world of things to do, great nightlife (normally in any case), good shopping, parks, museums, historic sites, bars, restaurants, the list goes on. " Well you forgot to mention the great traffic situation...:rolleyes: It is by far the worst big city I ever been to and only go there when I need to. But if you want a big city....Barcelona, Valencia, etc etc.. That said I like Abinader... some focus on the North Coast, after 16 years of just focusing on the Capital and Punta Cana. Seaweed is the Karma
My guess is that you have never been to Cairo, Mumbai, Lagos...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Not sure about the "Seaweed is the karma" comment as many areas/countries are also dealing with this issue. The comment "Actually that's good, less Dominicans on the beach = less trash and noise on the beach." truly has to be one of the most ignorant/rude comments I have come across on DR1. Sorry mods but had to say it. There has been a lot information/news about the seaweed situation in Punta Cana so most travelers are aware of the situation before they travel. Sure they are disappointed but most were aware of it before they went.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I walk the beach everyday. Thirty minutes west and 30minutes back. Yep, there is seaweed . In certain parts of the beach it looks similar to the pictures above. Obviously solution...walk around it! Is the soft sand more difficult to walk in? Boo, hoo. Stop whining and drink more wine. Thank the beach gods that we are around and walking ,on a beach in paradise.Smell? Love it. It's the real deal.