Punta Cana to Santo Domingo: which bus station

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I'm confused. I'm landing in PUJ next week then I will need to catch a bus from Punta Cana to the capital.

One Dominican contact I'm talking to is telling me that he can drive me to the closest bus stop from the airport (which is, according to him, the Veron bus station owned by Expreso Bavaro) for 1000 pesos.

But a friend who's been to Punta Cana just told me that I don't need a cab to go to the nearest bus station because there is actually a bus station right near the airport and I can just walk.

So where's the nearest Expreso Bavaro bus station from the Punta Cana airport? Is it the Veron stop (10 min driven for 1000 pesos according to my Dominican contact) or is there really a closer bus stop that I can just walk to?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You cannot get the bus from PC to SD at the airport stop. That stop is only used on the route from SD to PC. Not the reverse. You can get the bus in Fruisa near the Texaco station. Or you can get it in Veron as you stated earlier.

Either stop Fruisa or Veron would probably cost the same by taxi from the airport.

Reactions: DR fan1990

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
You cannot get the bus from PC to SD at the airport stop. That stop is only used on the route from SD to PC. Not the reverse. You can get the bus in Fruisa near the Texaco station. Or you can get it in Veron as you stated earlier.

Either stop Fruisa or Veron would probably cost the same by taxi from the airport.

While I am loathe to agree with Sky on anything, he is 100% correct on this one.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Is 1000 pesos a reasonable fare for that taxi ride to the bus station or am I being charged extra for the gringo tax?

I've paid as low as $800 and as high as $2000. 1000 seems like a decent price to me. I have a taxista's card, the one who charged me $800, if you want his name and number. He won't remember me but he was really nice and didn't try and gouge me.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
You are best to get a taxi to Friusa as that's where the bus starts and it fills up, so at least you get a decent seat at Friusa.

Out of interest, that bus is operated by SITRABAPU, the syndicate of transport for Bavaro and Punta Cana. They also operate the taxis and that's why they don't allow the bus to pick up from the airport, they want to ensure that all arriving passengers pay a taxi fare. It's a mafia the public transportation and taxis in Bavaro / Punta Cana. Uber has been known to operate in the area, but not in the airport.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I've paid as low as $800 and as high as $2000. 1000 seems like a decent price to me. I have a taxista's card, the one who charged me $800, if you want his name and number. He won't remember me but he was really nice and didn't try and gouge me.

Thanks NSP. Please message me his details.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
No. They just never opened here. The AIs here limit which taxis can pick up. Any taxi can drop off. That is most likely the reason they are not in PC.
There is a very agressive taxi mafia in PC/Bavaro. There have been news reports of the taxistas physically attacking/threatening and damaging "unauthorized" taxi drivers and their vehicles which includes uber. I suppose the reason its tolerated in other areas of the country i.e. Capital is because of sheer numbers. Also the prices are controlled and are geared more towards the ripoff the tourist mantra.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
1000 is less than $20. How much are you trying to save by posting this thread and penny pinching it?

I was thinking the same thing. Imagine the lucky lady who gets to go on a date with him when he gets to where he's going!!!