No electricity in Boca Chica for almost 24 hours

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Weather is finally clearing up here in Santiago. Hopefully things are back to normal for you guys soon.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not to minimize what some people went through as I did not experience the same but all things considered Fred was a fairly small and weak storm. If Fred can cause all of this reported inconvenience by way of power and water outages, imagine the disruption a major hurricane can and probably will cause. Fred shows us just how ready the energy and water sectors are to survive these storms - apparently not very ready and prepared at all.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Not to minimize what some people went through as I did not experience the same but all things considered Fred was a fairly small and weak storm. If Fred can cause all of this reported inconvenience by way of power and water outages, imagine the disruption a major hurricane can and probably will cause. Fred shows us just how ready the energy and water sectors are to survive these storms - apparently not very ready and prepared at all.
Yes, I agree, fully... What I think here is that the DR is extremely luck that no major storm has hit it directly and as badly as many neighboring countries... So if the DR were to be hit with some major weather condition, the damage could be quite significant... Yet, no precautions seem to be taken? I could be wrong of course...

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Yes, I agree, fully... What I think here is that the DR is extremely luck that no major storm has hit it directly and as badly as many neighboring countries... So if the DR were to be hit with some major weather condition, the damage could be quite significant... Yet, no precautions seem to be taken? I could be wrong of course...

I think lots of people know this and take their own precautions. I rent so I don't have a generator but do have the inverter and 4 batteries. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't drain out and that it took less that 2 hours to get full charge.

Many of us stock up on canned good, extra propane and extra water.

I don't see the government doing very much although I don't follow the government too closely. When you think about it, it's actually a good thing. While the inconvenience of having no luz for a few day is bad, it teaches people to be independent and not rely on the government for their needs. Certain western countries could learn from that.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I think lots of people know this and take their own precautions.
Yes, the same precautions people take against incompetent govt (water, luz...), certainly work against weather phenomena as well...

For POP, I am happy to say that the new director of Coraaplata appears to be doing things better than the previous admin... In the past, each time it rained heavily, we were left without water for at least a few days, and this does not happen anymore... I know many people on DR1 who live in the NC say the opposite, so this is definitely still location-specific and there is lot of work to be done

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Not to minimize what some people went through as I did not experience the same but all things considered Fred was a fairly small and weak storm. If Fred can cause all of this reported inconvenience by way of power and water outages, imagine the disruption a major hurricane can and probably will cause. Fred shows us just how ready the energy and water sectors are to survive these storms - apparently not very ready and prepared at all
Prepared yourself, it's the only way to survive. Thanks to my Generator for doing his work the last 30 hours.
Now the power has returned, waiting for the next blackout....

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
We lost electricity at about 840AM yesterday for almost 2 hours. Got it back for a bit over half hour and lost again. Not sure how long batteries will last.

Does anyone know anything? Thanks.
I have been vacationing in Boca Chica since 1982. The steady decline of the electrical grid and the water supply have taken its toll on Boca Chica and took it from a bustling tourist destination to the ghost town it has become. Adding to this decline, is the tons of garbage lying at every corner and in every ditch in full view for all to see. (read tourists) The only thing Boca Chica attracts now are the rats, both four legged and two legged. The President was at the Hamaca hotel last week and wonder of wonders there was a fleet of garbage trucks out the next day cleaning up the garbage. Finally streets are being dug up to patch lengths of broken water pipes to hopefully restore a basic necessity of life to every door. There has been no water on my street now for over two years .The cleanliness of the water is a totally different discussion. Who knows, maybe they will start switching out the aluminum wires for copper and replace the exhausted, overly patched up transformers with new or used ones. Two structural fires last week were directly attributed to the power surges and now more people are out of work. Many electrical appliances have been fried as well. Will the government compensate for their losses? I think not. Will the utility bills continue to be issued for services not received? You can bet your tourist dollars they will be.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I have been vacationing in Boca Chica since 1982. The steady decline of the electrical grid and the water supply have taken its toll on Boca Chica and took it from a bustling tourist destination to the ghost town it has become. Adding to this decline, is the tons of garbage lying at every corner and in every ditch in full view for all to see. (read tourists) The only thing Boca Chica attracts now are the rats, both four legged and two legged. The President was at the Hamaca hotel last week and wonder of wonders there was a fleet of garbage trucks out the next day cleaning up the garbage. Finally streets are being dug up to patch lengths of broken water pipes to hopefully restore a basic necessity of life to every door. There has been no water on my street now for over two years .The cleanliness of the water is a totally different discussion. Who knows, maybe they will start switching out the aluminum wires for copper and replace the exhausted, overly patched up transformers with new or used ones. Two structural fires last week were directly attributed to the power surges and now more people are out of work. Many electrical appliances have been fried as well. Will the government compensate for their losses? I think not. Will the utility bills continue to be issued for services not received? You can bet your tourist dollars they will be.
That all sounds quite concerning but a real report about what is going on in Boca Chica it seems and doesn’t sound like a tourist area anymore but more like a rough barrio. Is El Pequeño Suiza still open ? I remember it was great food there. What about the German restaurant but don’t remember the name.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
That all sounds quite concerning but a real report about what is going on in Boca Chica it seems and doesn’t sound like a tourist area anymore but more like a rough barrio. Is El Pequeño Suiza still open ? I remember it was great food there. What about the German restaurant but don’t remember the name.

El Pequeño Suiza is open. I haven't eaten there in a few months. I thought the food was ok, nothing special. I try not to go down on the strip where D'Nancy is too much. Too many putas and burnt out gringoes. I don't know anything about the German place.

By the way, after months of stable electricity, we're losing it for 2 hours or more every day but Sunday. I think they're attempting to work on it but I don't know if they're accomplishing anything.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
The German restaurant name is Madhouse on calle duarte, but I've read somewhere it's closed. The crazy times of BC are gone years ago, in the 90s it was really Partytime, glad I've enjoyed this times...

Reactions: tht and aarhus