Trial for Murder of Lindsay de Feliz

Status
Not open for further replies.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
This morning I was advised that the trial of Danilo Feliz, his sons Dani and Alberto, and best friend Saya, for the murder of Lindsay de Feliz (our moderator Matilda) has been scheduled for September 22nd at the courthouse in Santiago Rodriguez.
Thank goodness it is going ahead at last. Just hoping and praying that justice is seen to be done.....

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The information on the internet shows that this courthouse is permanently closed .Other information suggests it is a court house of first appearance and it is where the accused were given their three month preventative sentences way back in December 2019 . Now in August 2021, I wonder what new evidence can be produced. I hope that the case can be resolved satisfactorily this time around.

Reactions: Howeller63

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The information on the internet shows that this courthouse is permanently closed .Other information suggests it is a court house of first appearance and it is where the accused were given their three month preventative sentences way back in December 2019 . Now in August 2021, I wonder what new evidence can be produced. I hope that the case can be resolved satisfactorily this time around.

Am I right in thinking that it was declared a complex case so their preventiva was extended to be 12 months? I presume they are linking the previous two attempts to murder her and this is why it was called complex. Or am I getting mixed up?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Am I right in thinking that it was declared a complex case so their preventiva was extended to be 12 months? I presume they are linking the previous two attempts to murder her and this is why it was called complex. Or am I getting mixed up?
My impression is complex means it has to be investigated. Some guy shoots his wife or some guy over a parking spot is not complex. Having to piece together a bunch of facts is usually declared complex.

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure the two previous attempts are even on the table. Just my opinion.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My understanding is Covid caused closure of the courts for many months, and a tremendous backlog of cases resulted.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I wrote that the the accused were given three months preventative sentence because that is how it was reported in the press on 19 December 2019. It is the norm in the DR that the accused are kept locked up for much longer than that. I have absolutely no idea what ,,two previous attempts are even on the table ,,,means .

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
The prosecution can ask for a case to be declared as complex when there are multiple perpetrators involved or multiple events took place. This means they can get one year of preventiva, and more time to prepare the case.

Reactions: bronzeallspice

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
My impression is complex means it has to be investigated. Some guy shoots his wife or some guy over a parking spot is not complex. Having to piece together a bunch of facts is usually declared complex.

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure the two previous attempts are even on the table. Just my opinion.

I think it was reasonably widely reported that someone beat Lindsay nearly to death a few months before she was murdered. And also that she became seriously ill after someone put poison in her rum. I cannot believe that the prosecution will not attempt to incorporate these into their case and try to link all three attempts. Just my opinion.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
My understanding is Covid caused closure of the courts for many months, and a tremendous backlog of cases resulted.

Of course you're right but it was never going to court for a year as it was declared complex. That was what I was saying. They got 12 months preventiva and then of course Covid came along.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
They did not get a 12 months preventiva unless all the papers in the DR and England are wrong when they reported that they were given 3 months. Not that it matters as 3 months never means 3 months.

Reactions: Howeller63

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I think it was reasonably widely reported that someone beat Lindsay nearly to death a few months before she was murdered. And also that she became seriously ill after someone put poison in her rum. I cannot believe that the prosecution will not attempt to incorporate these into their case and try to link all three attempts. Just my opinion.
Don't forget her Juan Dolio home invasion when she was shot in the neck.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
If the prosecution did take that line it could just as easily benefit the defence who would simply point out that other people apart from her husband had tried to kill her. Any half decent defence lawyer could turn that argument around very easily. I hope that the prosecution has got real evidence in this case such as fingerprints or blood stains or footprints or possession of spades or axes. I have a horrible feeling that the case may be adjourned.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If the prosecution did take that line it could just as easily benefit the defence who would simply point out that other people apart from her husband had tried to kill her. Any half decent defence lawyer could turn that argument around very easily. I hope that the prosecution has got real evidence in this case such as fingerprints or blood stains or footprints or possession of spades or axes. I have a horrible feeling that the case may be adjourned.

From what I have heard on the grapevine, there is a reasonable amount of evidence which links both of those two attempts with her husband and step sons. I think Danilo will have a hell of a time trying to prove his innocence, at least if the prosecution does its job properly.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Is anyone planning on attending the hearing? It would be good to have someone there who can report back to the rest of us on what happened, obviously someone who is fluent in Spanish would be better.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
They did not get a 12 months preventiva unless all the papers in the DR and England are wrong when they reported that they were given 3 months. Not that it matters as 3 months never means 3 months.

It says here they were initially granted a 3 month preventiva but the ministry of justice said they would appeal against the length of the preventiva given that the case was complex because of the number of co-defendants. I don't know if they did actually appeal and get it extended, and as we know Covid then came along and they have been on preventiva for 20 months now.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Does anyone know how her family is doing? The wait would have been so difficult and now the anticipation of the trial must be equally as hard.

Reactions: whirleybird

Matilda's Mother

May 10, 2008
Lindsay is greatly missed by all her family. I used to Skype her every day and still find It difficult that I cannot talk to her and see her every day. Unfortunately due to various circumstances including covid and my age (89) I am unable to be at the trial. But would like to thank everyone for their support and prayers ever since she was killed. It means so much to Lindsay’s family that she is not forgotten. I find it hard to comprehend that someone who loved the Dominican people
so much should be murdered in such a cruel fashion.
Matilda’s mother

Status
Not open for further replies.