Article about the DR and Haiti by an American in 1909

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
An interesting article written by an American (from Maine) that visited Haiti and parts of the Dominican Republic was published on April 10, 1909 in the The Lewiston Daily Sun. The title is "Haiti As a Visitor Saw It."

About the parts mentioning the DR, they are mostly of Santo Domingo and San Pedro de Macorís. Among what he mention was the good looks of the Dominicans, the horribly designed sidewalks of Santo Domingo, that the "yellow" and white population greatly outnumbered the blacks and despite that he didn't see anyone with "rosy cheeks." He got the impression that Dominicans didn't like foreigners including Spaniards and Americans despite that he enjoyed his visit, that an American was jailed for being racist against Dominican blacks and that he went to the American consul for help and got none, a large sugar plantation that he witnessed near San Pedro de Macorís; etc.

After reading the descriptions he gives and then realize again this was in 1909, you come to the conclusion that time passes and some things never change.

In 1909 several things had not happened yet such as the first American invasion (1916-1924), the modification to the original border of 1777 (1929), the Trujillo dictatorship (1930-1961), the civil war (1965), etc.

Last edited:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Thank you for reproducing this account here through the eyes of a New England man. It is what he saw and I feel he only saw what he was shown .It does confirm that the mix of the black people from Africa and the Olive skinned people from Spain produced a physically good looking person and because most of the French left Haiti well before 1909 there is far less mixing of French and black blood. Much of the difference in appearance depends on where in Africa the black slaves in RD and Haiti came from and there are various studies about this , all quite dreadful in the accounts of the foul Portuguese slave traders.
Do Dominicans like foreigners ? I think that is just a generalisation. I am pure white skinned with a nice tropical tan and I speak good spanish although I am told i speak like a priest ,heaven forbid!! and I always treat Dominicans with respect . I have found that very few Americans can converse in Spanish and their courtesy here is somewhat lacking and so Dominicans often tend to dislike Americans. But this true elsewhere.
I tend to agree that in this country changes are very slow or never occur but if we study history ,then ,hopefully, we will take better informed decisions. Thank you again for the article.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
An interesting article written by an American (from Maine) that visited Haiti and parts of the Dominican Republic was published on April 10, 1909 in the The Lewiston Daily Sun. The title is "Haiti As a Visitor Saw It."

About the parts mentioning the DR, they are mostly of Santo Domingo and San Pedro de Macorís. Among what he mention was the good looks of the Dominicans, the horribly designed sidewalks of Santo Domingo, that the "yellow" and white population greatly outnumbered the blacks and despite that he didn't see anyone with "rosy cheeks." He got the impression that Dominicans didn't like foreigners including Spaniards and Americans despite that he enjoyed his visit, that an American was jailed for being racist against Dominican blacks and that he went to the American consul for help and got none, a large sugar plantation that he witnessed near San Pedro de Macorís; etc.

After reading the descriptions he gives and then realize again this was in 1909, you come to the conclusion that time passes and some things never change.

In 1909 several things had not happened yet such as the first American invasion (1916-1924), the modification to the original border of 1777 (1929), the Trujillo dictatorship (1930-1961), the civil war (1965), etc.

I have always noticed that there must have been alot of asians here a few generations ago.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is a new migration straight from China. They are so new, that many don't even know Spanish. If you go to the Asian market held every Sunday in Chinatown (on Ave Duarte), you'll meet quite a few of them selling stuff.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Another one citing a letter by the then Puerto Rico Governor regarding the memoirs of the Dominican Secretary of Provincial Deputy of Santo Domingo for the Dominican government at seven months of the start of the Haitian Domination in 1822. It also points towards the origin of the Dominican Republic.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
There is a new migration straight from China. They are so new, that many don't even know Spanish. If you go to the Asian market held every Sunday in Chinatown (on Ave Duarte), you'll meet quite a few of them selling stuff.
Or if you are in Santiago, check out all the chinese stores on Del Sol street............

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
If they hate Americans so much why are they all trying to get their, I've been here over twenty yrs and from my experience they prefer Americans to most foreigners.

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
Thank you for reproducing this account here through the eyes of a New England man. It is what he saw and I feel he only saw what he was shown .It does confirm that the mix of the black people from Africa and the Olive skinned people from Spain produced a physically good looking person and because most of the French left Haiti well before 1909 there is far less mixing of French and black blood. Much of the difference in appearance depends on where in Africa the black slaves in RD and Haiti came from and there are various studies about this , all quite dreadful in the accounts of the foul Portuguese slave traders.
Do Dominicans like foreigners ? I think that is just a generalisation. I am pure white skinned with a nice tropical tan and I speak good spanish although I am told i speak like a priest ,heaven forbid!! and I always treat Dominicans with respect . I have found that very few Americans can converse in Spanish and their courtesy here is somewhat lacking and so Dominicans often tend to dislike Americans. But this true elsewhere.
I tend to agree that in this country changes are very slow or never occur but if we study history ,then ,hopefully, we will take better informed decisions. Thank you again for the article.
"so Dominicans often tend to dislike Americans"; but they sure like immigrating (legally and illegally) to the USA

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Back on topic please.
E2E0C71F-CA4D-41F5-92FA-C1D232DE0297.jpeg