Anciano gringo 1 - Ladrone muchacho 0

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Some people will probably not agree with what I did, but I despise being a helpless victim.

I've already mentioned on here a few times that my exercise consists of long walks, generally > 2 hours. So today I was walking in towards the Seattle and San Francisco academias de beisbol when this guy on a moto approaches me and slows down. Thinking he wants to give me a taxi ride, I tell him no gracias, this is my ejercicio. Then he turns the bike around, parks it in the middle of the decidedly unbusy street, and pulls out about a 4 inch knife. He starts towards me yelling something in Spanish that obviously I'm not processing well. He either want the backpack, phone, wallet, or some combination thereof.

So I successfully avoided his knife thrusts (I don't believe he wanted to hurt me, just rob me) and kept yelling F U over and over again at him. Once there was enough space between him and the moto I ran towards it and yes, I was going to take it. He was much faster than me and got there before me. Once he mounted the moto, he ran it towards me, but again I don't believe he wanted to hurt me, so there was no collision.

At that point I got really pissed and remember a manic look as I stared him down. I started walking aggressively fast towards him but he moved the moto before I could get too close. All this time I'm hoping and praying for another vehicle on the road. Finally, after about 5 minutes of this, other vehicles started to come and he left. I turned around to return but he stayed on his moto far off. I kept walking back looking over my shoulder with a rock in hand, but I don't think he came back.

Moral of the story? You don't have to be a helpless victim. Again, I despise just giving in to a thug. I know some will say your life isn't worth your phone and a few thousand pesos. I agree with that but for me, it's the principle.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Good for you!

Several years ago a guy on a moto tried ripping the cross from my neck. I held onto it and the chain and turned around to yell at him.

I think he was so surprised that a vieja confronted him instead of becoming a victim that he simply gave up. At any rate, he took off on the moto without the cross or chain.

Aug 21, 2007
Good for you!

Several years ago a guy on a moto tried ripping the cross from my neck. I held onto it and the chain and turned around to yell at him.

I think he was so surprised that a vieja confronted him instead of becoming a victim that he simply gave up. At any rate, he took off on the moto without the cross or chain.
Stealing a cross???? Surely her would go to hell for that!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Some people will probably not agree with what I did, but I despise being a helpless victim.

I've already mentioned on here a few times that my exercise consists of long walks, generally > 2 hours. So today I was walking in towards the Seattle and San Francisco academias de beisbol when this guy on a moto approaches me and slows down. Thinking he wants to give me a taxi ride, I tell him no gracias, this is my ejercicio. Then he turns the bike around, parks it in the middle of the decidedly unbusy street, and pulls out about a 4 inch knife. He starts towards me yelling something in Spanish that obviously I'm not processing well. He either want the backpack, phone, wallet, or some combination thereof.

So I successfully avoided his knife thrusts (I don't believe he wanted to hurt me, just rob me) and kept yelling F U over and over again at him. Once there was enough space between him and the moto I ran towards it and yes, I was going to take it. He was much faster than me and got there before me. Once he mounted the moto, he ran it towards me, but again I don't believe he wanted to hurt me, so there was no collision.

At that point I got really pissed and remember a manic look as I stared him down. I started walking aggressively fast towards him but he moved the moto before I could get too close. All this time I'm hoping and praying for another vehicle on the road. Finally, after about 5 minutes of this, other vehicles started to come and he left. I turned around to return but he stayed on his moto far off. I kept walking back looking over my shoulder with a rock in hand, but I don't think he came back.

Moral of the story? You don't have to be a helpless victim. Again, I despise just giving in to a thug. I know some will say your life isn't worth your phone and a few thousand pesos. I agree with that but for me, it's the principle.
The plus side is episodes like this make you feel young again....like being in the armed forces. :). I think you said you were ex-marine?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Good for you!! Ever thought about weighing down the knapsack with a few rocks. It will help with the cardio and make an excellent disguised weapon.
I'm hoping for a 2-0 score if you encounter the asshole again. 😤😤

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Good for you!! Ever thought about weighing down the knapsack with a few rocks. It will help with the cardio and make an excellent disguised weapon.
I'm hoping for a 2-0 score if you encounter the asshole again. 😤😤

I don't think I want to try that route again. I'm looking for a more travelled route that allows me to walk without either getting robbed or run over. I used to walk to the Cardinals' academia de beisbol but the road that connects RD3 with RD4 is too well travelled with big trucks. Way too many close calls of being hit.

Reactions: Gadfly and melphis

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002

All too familiar tale these days. Lucky it wasnt a gun. No tourists means alot of desparate thugs.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If you stand out, he will probably recognize you the next time you'll meet in the street. He might try again if you are walking alone, that time better prepared with the hindsight of what happened the first time.

Your best bet is joining a gym. This place in Boca Chica appears to have walking/jogging/running machines. Probably has affordable dues.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If you stand out, he will probably recognize you the next time you'll meet in the street. He might try again if you are walking alone, that time better prepared with the hindsight of what happened the first time.

Your best bet is joining a gym. This place in Boca Chica appears to have walking/jogging/running machines. Probably has affordable dues.

Most gyms in BC just charge 50 pesos/day. Very affordable. I do enjoy seeing people when I walk, but God may not give me a second chance on this one. So yea, I'm going to alter my routes and only go where there are people and sidewalks. I will also use the gym.

Reactions: AlterEgo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I used to have a route I liked.. up a hill and back down - Just a 1/2 hr trip

But it was narrow & unpopulated....
My neighbors insisted I not do it.... too much 'out of sight' time... no houses & little traffic

I stopped on their advice

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

you like to walk.
Borrow or get a dog..
With the correct dog you are not alone and no one messes with you in the first place.
You do not drip with gold, hi end watches , cell phones, bling bling, eh

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
You Sir , are a BAD ASS ( the good kind)... but please be Careful..
take more precautions perhaps . getting opened up with a blade is not a good thing, especially in a Country like the DR.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I agree, you are definitely the man for doing this, but I wouldn't advise anyone else to take this approach. So many people die in DR through attacks, and I'm pretty sure some of them also would have started their story the same way, that they tried to defend themselves and not be a victim, before the knife was plunge

Reactions: zoomzx11