Canada announces vaccine mandate for air travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...vel-rules-coming-into-effect-sept-7-1.5574823 They are saying you still have to show proof of negative pcr test..
Your article states this, right before the bold heading VACCINATED PARENTS TRAVELLING WITH UNVACCINATED CHILDREN

As of August 9, fully vaccinated travellers do not need to take a test upon arrival unless they are randomly selected to complete one. All travellers randomly selected for a test must complete it, but they do not need to quarantine while awaiting the result.

Scroll down a bit and you’ll see it.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Auryn, I have followed your link.

Regardless of whether you are Canadian or foreign traveller, you are required to have a negative test maximum of 72 hours prior to arrival in Canada.
It used to say that you needed a negative test within 72 hours of arrival, right at the top of the page. It no longer has that where I can find it. Here is the email copied and pasted from Air Canada yesterday.

1. Review the latest travel & health requirements for each country on your itinerary

Fully vaccinated travellers (meaning individuals who have received the full series of a vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada more than 14 days prior to arrival)are exempt from the full 14‑day quarantine requirement and do not have to take the on-arrival COVID‑19 molecular test, unless randomly selected at the airport. Non-vaccinated children under 18 and dependent adults travelling with fully vaccinated individuals are also exempt.

All travellers must submit their information to ArriveCAN within 72 hours before arrival to Canada, including contact information, quarantine plan, and a COVID‑19 symptom self-assessment. Fully vaccinated travellers must submit their proof of vaccination. In addition to the receipt, they should have the actual vaccine certificate (paper or digital) to show the Customs officials on arrival.

All customers 5 years of age or older, including those fully vaccinated, are required to provide, prior to boarding, a negative COVID‑19 molecular test.

If you are not fully vaccinated, you will also need to take an on‑arrival COVID‑19 molecular test at the airport and complete a another test later in the quarantine period.

Unless fully vaccinated or otherwise exempt, you must also complete a 14 day quarantine.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
8AD3CABE-EB7D-47A6-912F-E0674A9AF389.png

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
'Enter Canada for non-essential reasons'...... it says

Does a traveler mean a non-Cdn ?

As I understand it WW, traveller is a broad reference to Canadians and non Canadians entering Canada after non essential travel. PCR Covid test 72 hrs before reentering Canada is still a requirement. Only Covid hotel stay and two week quarantine has been eliminated for travellers with proof of approved vaccinations.

Prior to the election, the government was hinting at the removal of the 72 hr. PCR testing requirement for returning Canadians. It was supposed to happen the first week of September but I suspect spread of the Delta variant in Canada killed that promise.

The best we can hope for is a flattening of the curve for rising Delta infections and a removal of the Covid testing requirement before the Canadian Caribbean exodus starts in the late fall. The airlines are banking on it and gearing up for the season.

If O’toole gets in, even with a minority government, it has a better chance of happening. If we are stuck with Trudeau, I doubt it will happen.

Regardless of what happens, the DR resorts are capable of arranging testing for Canadian clients. I don’t see the Canadian testing requirement as a big hurdle for Canadian tourists and snowbirds heading to the DR this winter. The mandatory Covid hotel stay was the big hurdle.

Reactions: thompstr and slowmo

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No. That is incorrect.

Air Canada emailed and told me that I didn’t need a test for entry if I was double vaccinated, as I posted earlier. I phoned to verify. She directed me to the govt website.

The Canadian government changed it today. People who are double vaccinated are not required to have a negative test upon entry. But they may be randomly selected at the airport of arrival.

Here is the link from the government website, the same link “Return to Canada” that I posted earlier.

Sept. 7 Changes

To reiterate, Canada no longer requires a negative test for people with proof of double vaccination.
I don't see what you are referring to. From the link you provided...

Pre-entry test result requirements

All travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship, must provide proof of a COVID-19 test result to enter Canada.

All travellers must provide one of the accepted types of tests, not an antigen test, including those who are fully vaccinated.

Reactions: thompstr

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now that it is well known that you can still have CV19 (with no or just minor symptoms) despite having any number of approved vaccinations, the PCR test requirement before entering certain countries like Canada might never go away, and never is a very long time. And also wear that mask on the plane forever and ever as well.

Reactions: thompstr

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It would be nice If the testing requirements were a bit more accepting. Despite the reports of people getting on planes and having their negative Covid tests accepted at the border from various labs here in the DR it is still not an easy and reliable task to get a true PCR test within the 72 hours of travel requirement. The tests called PCR available from places such as CMC and Puerto Plata Labs are not the "real PCR" tests that are required. Such tests cannot be be completed by the lab in just a couple of hours. If you rely on these non PCR results to get into a country or on a plane, you may be successful but that outcome is not guaranteed. I suspect that immigration is deliberately letting these errant Covid tests results slide past when taken into consideration with being vaccinated, not showing symptoms and an additional random or otherwise Covid test possibly being administered upon arrival at your destination country. Travel is difficult enough these days without the uncertainty of having to worry if a single piece of paper will be enough to thwart your travel plans at either end of the trip.

Reactions: Auryn

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It would be nice If the testing requirements were a bit more accepting. Despite the reports of people getting on planes and having their negative Covid tests accepted at the border from various labs here in the DR it is still not an easy and reliable task to get a true PCR test within the 72 hours of travel requirement. The tests called PCR available from places such as CMC and Puerto Plata Labs are not the "real PCR" tests that are required. Such tests cannot be be completed by the lab in just a couple of hours. If you rely on these non PCR results to get into a country or on a plane, you may be successful but that outcome is not guaranteed. I suspect that immigration is deliberately letting these errant Covid tests results slide past when taken into consideration with being vaccinated, not showing symptoms and an additional random or otherwise Covid test possibly being administered upon arrival at your destination country. Travel is difficult enough these days without the uncertainty of having to worry if a single piece of paper will be enough to thwart your travel plans at either end of the trip.
Pcr test in puerto plata is the true test takes 48 hrs to get results back ..cmc is not true pcr test and not accepted.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I know of at least six Canadians that returned to Canada with the "Not Real" PCR tests performed at the lab next to Western Union,none had any problems. Real or not,these tests are being accepted....

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I know of at least six Canadians that returned to Canada with the "Not Real" PCR tests performed at the lab next to Western Union,none had any problems. Real or not,these tests are being accepted....
Yes true and same-time people were turned around so what is your risk level..

HDR

Nov 21, 2012

I know several too that used the lab next to Western Union and I actually thought that was the "real" PCR test... That said, I doubt they even exam them. Anyone ever heard of somebody that got a positive Covid test from those labs? Everything is so confusing, BS. All covid, covid covid...

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It used to say that you needed a negative test within 72 hours of arrival, right at the top of the page. It no longer has that where I can find it. Here is the email copied and pasted from Air Canada yesterday.

1. Review the latest travel & health requirements for each country on your itinerary

Fully vaccinated travellers (meaning individuals who have received the full series of a vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada more than 14 days prior to arrival)are exempt from the full 14‑day quarantine requirement and do not have to take the on-arrival COVID‑19 molecular test, unless randomly selected at the airport. Non-vaccinated children under 18 and dependent adults travelling with fully vaccinated individuals are also exempt.

All travellers must submit their information to ArriveCAN within 72 hours before arrival to Canada, including contact information, quarantine plan, and a COVID‑19 symptom self-assessment. Fully vaccinated travellers must submit their proof of vaccination. In addition to the receipt, they should have the actual vaccine certificate (paper or digital) to show the Customs officials on arrival.

All customers 5 years of age or older, including those fully vaccinated, are required to provide, prior to boarding, a negative COVID‑19 molecular test.

If you are not fully vaccinated, you will also need to take an on‑arrival COVID‑19 molecular test at the airport and complete a another test later in the quarantine period.

Unless fully vaccinated or otherwise exempt, you must also complete a 14 day quarantine.
The Gov of Canada link you provided and the AC email both state the same thing.

From your quote from the AC email:

"...and do not have to take the on-arrival COVID‑19 molecular test, unless randomly selected at the airport..."

"All customers 5 years of age or older, including those fully vaccinated, are required to provide, prior to boarding, a negative COVID‑19 molecular test."

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There we have it. An additional PCR test will not be administered to everyone arriving in Canada that is fully vaccinated but a negative PCR test is still required to board a flight to Canada and will be looked at by immigration upon arrival. It took awhile but I think we now have definitive clarification.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Travel is difficult enough period. I will be getting the Covid test in order to leave the DR. It seems like it will just be a money grab.

Reactions: HDR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For additional clarity please see:

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
I know several too that used the lab next to Western Union and I actually thought that was the "real" PCR test... That said, I doubt they even exam them. Anyone ever heard of somebody that got a positive Covid test from those labs? Everything is so confusing, BS. All covid, covid covid...
Last February I had a pcr test for Canada done in Puerto plata
It came back positive, I had to go into quarantine at casa marina
Retook test from resort came back negative
Had to self quarantine at home when I got back for 14 days, on the 8 day day test in my home town
Test came back and it was negative and said I never had or was exposed to covid

Reactions: jd426
Status
Not open for further replies.