EDENorte North Coast: Electricity Outages & Restoration Announcements

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The randomly occurring maintenance blackouts coupled with regular everyday equipment failures makes for lots of uncertainty. A loud boom this morning in my neighborhood. A transformer or power line fuse blew I suppose. ......
We get that all the time in my area of Santiago, at least, once a week.
We guess the location by the loudness of the boom and the delay of the electric going off and the sound of the boom. 🐦

The birds love the EdeNorte tall poles and build humongous nests which short out the wires fairly often.

Before the pandemic, the loud bangs was gun fire, now it's bird nests shorting out the wiring.

Don

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The birds love the EdeNorte tall poles and build humongous nests which short out the wires fairly often.

The pole where all the meters for our gated community come from has a huge nest which once caused the wire going to our meter to burn... Edenorte came and fixed that after 12 am after I complained but they refused to even report or do anything with the actual nest... I hope it doesn't catch fire one day as then the whole neighborhood will go dark for a bit... The nest is that big you could warm up a medium-sized house (back in Europe) with it... But Edenorte does not consider that to be of any issue...

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Windeguy ; Can we find an Outage Schedule from Dominican Electric Transmission Company (ETED), the Unified Council of Electricity and EDENORTE Distributing Enterprises. This time it was pretty bad but nobody knew what was going on ! Can we find a source for this info from ETED ?

Olly

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windeguy ; Can we find an Outage Schedule from Dominican Electric Transmission Company (ETED), the Unified Council of Electricity and EDENORTE Distributing Enterprises. This time it was pretty bad but nobody knew what was going on ! Can we find a source for this info from ETED ?

Olly
I don't think so. I looked here and didn't see one:

Edenorte.com.do had a schedule, but it had no basis in reality.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The pole where all the meters for our gated community come from has a huge nest which once caused the wire going to our meter to burn... Edenorte came and fixed that after 12 am after I complained but they refused to even report or do anything with the actual nest... I hope it doesn't catch fire one day as then the whole neighborhood will go dark for a bit... The nest is that big you could warm up a medium-sized house (back in Europe) with it... But Edenorte does not consider that to be of any issue...
The combo of birds, nest and rain caused a VERY loud explosion at 3:57am one morning near my house.

EdeNorte did remove the nest in the morning when they came to replace the fuse.

Ede-Norte-1.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

That could potentially explain the numerous outages since Friday...

Blackouts cause complaints and protests in the Cibao region​

• Blackouts cause complaints and protests in the Cibao region
    Recent interconnection works have focused on the Bonao III substation.

Leoncio Peralta
leoncio.peralta@listindiario.com
Santiago, RD

The deficient supply of electricity last weekend caused protests and complaints from the residents of the main provinces of the Cibao region.
The prolonged blackouts generated great discontent, especially at night, when the heat becomes unbearable.
The interruptions of vital service were felt both during the day and at night.
The complaints were reported from different sectors of the provinces of Santiago, Duarte, Puerto Plata, Espaillat, La Vega, Monseñor Nouel and other towns in Cibao.
In San Francisco de Macorís the protests reached the front of the offices of the North Electricity Company (Edenorte) demanding the cessation of the blackouts and that the users be compensated for the hours in which the service was suspended.
On the situation that generated collective irritation, the Municipal Committee in Santiago of the Fuerza del Pueblo Party and Mayor Abel Martínez spoke out, demanding a solution to the problem.
In this city, the blackouts caused many disruptions in road traffic, since many traffic lights at the busiest intersections were off for hours, creating tedious blockages, which were made more difficult by the lack of agents from the General Directorate of Transit and Transportation Terrestrial (Digesett) to make circulation viable.
Official version
The Dominican Electricity Transmission Company (ETED), the Unified Council of Electricity Distribution Companies and Edenorte reported that in order to maintain the national electricity infrastructure in optimal conditions, they carry out an extensive work program to improve the electricity service of the entire country .
Martín Robles, Andrés Astacio and Andrés Cueto Rosario, representatives of these entities, explained that the interconnection work of the new Bonao III substation carried out by the ETED implies that they will give greater energy stability to the North zone with four new lines.
He also mentioned that the Quisqueya Generation 1 and 2 units will operate with greater and better reliability in the National Interconnected Electric System (SENI).
KNOW MORE
Explanations
Executives from the electricity sector also explained that the interconnection works seek to guarantee high-voltage energy transport according to the country's requirements and that for this reason the blackouts on August 7 occurred in several provinces of the country.
He specified that these works affected the provinces Espaillat, La Vega, Moca, Santiago, Duarte and Monsignor Nouel.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The combo of birds, nest and rain caused a VERY loud explosion at 3:57am one morning near my house.

EdeNorte did remove the nest in the morning when they came to replace the fuse.
Yes, that is exactly how our pole looks like... Only that the nest is still slightly bigger... Let's hope ours does not explode... Or perhaps that is the only way to get Edenorte to do something...

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
It was off for about 4 hours overnight....11pm to 3am in Sosua. Of course it must have been maintenance. Why else would the power be off???? No power and no water....bring on the tourists to this lovely beach town so they can see the murals!

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Power was off twice for short periods on CABT102 today.

On a separate note: Birds have been building nests on a transformer inside our development on a pole and they occasionally sacrifice themselves, which would not be so bad if it did not bring down the fuse for our entire development. Edenorte offers no solution to the problem except to come a replace the blown fuses.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Yeah, today have been awful. 3 time in one day the power is off. About 1 hour in the morning, then around 1:30 for about 20-30 minutes and now a third time, we'll see how long this one last. Last week we had two longer power outages on last Wednesday that lasted from 8:30 pm until 9am Thursday and then again on Friday between 7:30 pm and around 10 pm. Is it the grid that just isn't powerful enough to handle the demand during these past few weeks with high heat? Annoying for sure

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Yeah, today have been awful. 3 time in one day the power is off. About 1 hour in the morning, then around 1:30 for about 20-30 minutes and now a third time, we'll see how long this one last. Last week we had two longer power outages on last Wednesday that lasted from 8:30 pm until 9am Thursday and then again on Friday between 7:30 pm and around 10 pm. Is it the grid that just isn't powerful enough to handle the demand during these past few weeks with high heat? Annoying for sure
3 times. 20 or more minutes of outages! Oh no... !!!,??? World has ended.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Power was off for circuit SOSU101 overnight for several hours. 2nd time this week. The whole circuit was apparently affected. Leads me to think Edenorte is still conducting rolling blackouts. Anyone know the actual cause?