Dengue - It's back

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I think that I might have dengue,where do they test for it on the north coast? I went to the lab next to Western Union in Sosua and the girl looked at me like I had three heads.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just great! You want bids on something that you're not even around to deliver. 🤪

Just to be clear, I didn’t ask for bids. I half jokingly told a friend to make me an offer. If he wanted it, he could easily pick it up, he knows where we live.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just to be clear, I didn’t ask for bids. I half jokingly told a friend to make me an offer. If he wanted it, he could easily pick it up, he knows where we live.
We may hammer something out on that.

I'm more curious about why you never used it. It seems like that would be perfect for your rear patio area.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We may hammer something out on that.

I'm more curious about why you never used it. It seems like that would be perfect for your rear patio area.

A combination of laziness and the mosquitoes not being that bad the last few years. We bought it after Leo had dengue and got so sick. I planted peppermint along the back of the house, which mosquitoes dislike (and makes great tea) and we burn a few citronella incense sticks and candles all the time. Plus we have the two outdoor ceiling fans that help immensely.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A combination of laziness and the mosquitoes not being that bad the last few years. We bought it after Leo had dengue and got so sick. I planted peppermint along the back of the house, which mosquitoes dislike (and makes great tea) and we burn a few citronella incense sticks and candles all the time. Plus we have the two outdoor ceiling fans that help immensely.
Interesting - never heard that about peppermint before

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

This is where I live now. It's a three story apartment complex surrounded by 12 ft walls. The row of trees on the right side is my world now.
No standing water except for a couple of puddles under the trees when it rains. I think those puddles are the source of mosquitos because they can take a few days to evaporate.

My only issue with having the Mosquito Magnet is the curious little kids who live in the complex. There's a couple of them who can be a real challenge, but maybe if I installed it on a shelf it would be OK.

DRSolar, how long does the tank of LPG last?

House.jpg

Attachments

• House.jpg
    House.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Interesting - never heard that about peppermint before
I've heard that before. I'm going to check with the Vivero down the street today! LOL

Nothing like having a combined approach to eradicate the little monsters.

Reactions: chico bill

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've heard that before. I'm going to check with the Vivero down the street today! LOL

Nothing like having a combined approach to eradicate the little monsters.
Several plants work. We bought one mint plant at a vivero for 40 pesos. It spread across the back and is about 5’ tall, we cut it back often.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think that I might have dengue,where do they test for it on the north coast? I went to the lab next to Western Union in Sosua and the girl looked at me like I had three heads.
Tom,
Do you vacillate between fever and chills ? Do your bones & muscles hurt like never before ? Do you have a thudding headache or swollen lymph glands or any bleeding from the gums, nose or ears ?

A dengue fever test checks your blood for signs of a dengue fever infection. There are two main types of dengue fever blood tests. One looks for the virus itself; the other checks for antibodies to the virus.

I am sure they could do it at CMC - if you are brave enough to risk going to that 'hospital', and paying double and waiting for a full day before they even see you.

But check if they can test for it at the

Diagnostico Medico Dra. Mayans lab in Cabarete:
Edificio Ocean One 3316
Teléfono: (809) 571-0861
Email: info@cabaretemed.com
Horarios: Lunes - Viernes 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, Sabados: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm

or go to Bournigal in Puerto Plata and they may direct you to a proper testing facility.

If you do have it, so sorry because it is not a pleasant illness ( I had it in Puerto Rico) - Let us know your results.
Do not take: aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin ) or naproxen sodium (Aleve). They can increase bleeding complications.
You can take Tylenol and drink many glasses of water per day.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Several plants work. We bought one mint plant at a vivero for 40 pesos. It spread across the back and is about 5’ tall, we cut it back often.

Since lavender has Camphor in it - that brings up a question - Is there a place on the North Coast that sells camphor oil ?

I have gotten camphor from Amazon - which is also great to put on bites, but it also wards off mosquitos when rubbed on.
Many stores have the little Chinese camphor cubes which you can put next to your bed but not useful for rubbing on the skin.

Coming from Oklahoma (my mother from Arkansas) camphor was an essential in our medicine chest

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Tom, The lab at CMC should be able to arrange a Dengue test. You probably will have to see a doctor first. Your insurance may cover all, most or at least some of the cost. I'd ask at reception if the in house lab can do the test. Depending on how ill you are and a positive test result, a quick IV might be a good idea while you are there.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The IV they give you here is USELESS.... hydration only

My best cure for Dengue is=
Bed Rest
Ensure and Pedialyte/Gatorade by the gallon

Works for me

After a 10 day bout , I had my blood checked and was perfect
After 10 days in the clinic in the saline IV, I needed to stay 3 more days to get my blood levels back up.

Live & learn.....

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The IV they give you here is USELESS.... hydration only

My best cure for Dengue is=
Bed Rest
Ensure and Pedialyte/Gatorade by the gallon

Works for me

After a 10 day bout , I had my blood checked and was perfect
After 10 days in the clinic in the saline IV, I needed to stay 3 more days to get my blood levels back up.

Live & learn.....
The first thing they always do in an emergency room is an IV. It's the administration point for any further medication and like WW said, to hydrate the living daylights out of you.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In addition to hydration, an IV is a good way to quickly get some calories into your system when the last thing you are interested in doing is eating anything or are having difficulty drinking enough liquids with calories and electrolytes. Much will depend on individual circumstances. If a person has someone to go shopping for them and can help with their recovery at home, that's one thing. Someone who does not have such a person would probably find it a challenge to take care of themselves with such a painful and systemic infection. Some medical advice/intervention and test results are usually better than just rolling the dice and lying in bed hoping for the best. Unless I was at death's door I think I would avoid being admitted to hospital for Dengue but that's a bridge that needs to be crossed when it is encountered.

The OP can still type and post on the computer so maybe it would be enough just to confirm the illness and and ride it out at home. Only a competent doctor with test results can and should offer such advice though as everyone's health situation is probably different.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gringo....
The IV they give is SALINE.... not the IV you think it is
Trust me- I had it !!!

I did much better w/ my program at home than in the clinica..... personal experience

I hope I never the 4th iterastion

I had the hemorrhagic...... avoid that one