Seaweed is back

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Exactly. Once the law exist, no company can contest when authorities levy a fee on them for breaking it. As of right now, a resort is penalized for not cleaning the beach and they can contest it in court. As of right now, the government can't expropriate their properties due to a dirty beach either.

Any expat that enters as a tourist and overstays the 30-days allowed knows how well penalty fees are imposed.

For the same reason private homes and businesses in New York are forced to keep clean the sidewalks in front of them everytime it snows, ice, etc. Anyone slips on the ice in the sidewalk, falls and break a hip, and you are the most likely culprit to be sued despite the sidewalk belongs to the government.
Good luck with that enforcing hotels to clean the beach (as well as the new proposed anti-teteo drinking laws, moto vest laws, etc)

If it makes economic sense, I suspect like some do, others will clean it up.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Good luck with that enforcing hotels to clean the beach (as well as the new proposed anti-teteo drinking laws, moto vest laws, etc)

If it makes economic sense, I suspect like some do, others will clean it up.
What percentage of hotels are tax evading the Dominican government?

On top of that, no resort can operate in the DR without authorization from the DR government, particularly resorts. Part of the requirement for foreign hotel companies is that they must be associated with Dominican citizens, often as shareholders of the Domijican company they create (often as a subsidiary.) How many foreign resorts are operating in the DR without those requirements?

Once the laws exist, it takes away the right to contest the enforcement whenever it's done. Again, any expat knows this upon paying the overstay fee at a Dominican airport. Don't pay it and you're not getting in the airplane. It really is as simple as that when it comes to the government collecting money,

There is evidence that even where there is no money inbetween, the Dominican government enforces what it wants. How many people are getting into airplanes heading to and leaving from the DR without an E-Ticket?

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
I don't think they should be forced but it is in their interests. Like JD said earlier, I'm surprised someone hasn't developed a business for that and contracted with the different resorts to clean on a daily or as needed basis.
Not sure if its the same seaweed.
But read some where they collect it and fed to cows

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
And I saw a news article somewhere where they were processing it for organic compost:

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
And I saw a news article somewhere where they were processing it for organic compost:
[/
Not sure if its the same seaweed.
But read some where they collect it and fed to cows
Can you image what the milk smells like........

• Haha
Reactions: chico bill

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Never mind that, what about their "whistle berries?"