A third of public school students have not returned to school

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Roberto-Fulcar-Ministerio-de-Eduacion.png

Education Minister Roberto Furcal has announced that 2.4 million public school students are back in school since 20 September 2021. Furcal has said that schools are obliged to receive all who have registered for classes.

Nevertheless, Diario Libre reports that around 800,000 students are not back in school. The reasons: their schools are still under repair, there are not sufficient teachers.

Primitiva Medina, secretary of social security of the executive committee of the Dominican Association of School Teachers (ADP) told Diario Libre that public school students that have returned to classes are also affected by a scarcity in text books and desks in the public schools that have reopened. She urged the Ministry of Education to rent locations for the students that have been left out.

Likewise, the Ministry of Education has yet to set a new date for the assessment of...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
MY kids go to school maybe 2 half days a week.No teachers apparantly. SOme rooms needpainting too. No water no food where open.

Noteachers because the system is set up to fail 95% of all who try . People go for 5 or 6 years and keep trying with no success.
If you have a secret political pass you pass apparently
Likewise, the Ministry of Education has yet to set a new date for the assessments of new public school teachers after the recent assessment was suspended when most of the teachers failed the test that was held on 9 September.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
They haven't set a new date for the assessment test because they are still drawing numbers from a hat to decide on a passing grade. They are working on the 15%-20% grade now. To be reviewed by their peers soon.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
MY kids go to school maybe 2 half days a week.No teachers apparantly. SOme rooms needpainting too. No water no food where open.

Noteachers because the system is set up to fail 95% of all who try . People go for 5 or 6 years and keep trying with no success.
If you have a secret political pass you pass apparently
Likewise, the Ministry of Education has yet to set a new date for the assessments of new public school teachers after the recent assessment was suspended when most of the teachers failed the test that was held on 9 September.
All I know is once they select their winners and who they are going to hire, we will lose some teachers on a Friday and be short on Monday if it is anything like last time. I saw children entering the two public schools with two block of my house this morning. They are both relatively small initial education school( up to grade 6) but both are in very good repair.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Todays virtual assignment.....draw a bible and write what it contains.....thats the sort of thing that gets you through life

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Even the private schools have reduced their hours. I think the private schools are playing catch-up on their money, less hours means less cost.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Even the private schools have reduced their hours. I think the private schools are playing catch-up on their money, less hours means less cost.
how would it be less cost? Our hours are the same, 0800 - 1200 morning, 1330 to 1700 afternoon. every year it takes about two weeks to get full enrollment- its a parent thing.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Good luck with making the DR most competitive etc or what was it again the ambitious goals of the government.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Good luck with making the DR most competitive etc or what was it again the ambitious goals of the government.
Regardless of how much success the government has in transforming the education system it will take a decade at the minimum for the effects to show.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Regardless of how much success the government has in transforming the education system it will take a decade at the minimum for the effects to show.
But they are not doing anything. It sounds more like it is getting worse.

Reactions: USA DOC

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
would you know where I can get home study learning materials ie books for example?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
would you know where I can get home study learning materials ie books for example?

I pay a teacher to spend 90 mins a day with my little ones after school, reinforcing what they have learnt and going through their homework with them. I pay him about US$ 500 a month, so it's not the cheapest solution but it means that we can ensure that they are staying on track and not getting lost, which has happened before.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
thanks so much I will check them.
thatis a very good link. I am curious there seems to be alot of emphasis on math. DO you think this is a good idea.WOuld not some time be well spent on history and geography

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
thatis a very good link. I am curious there seems to be alot of emphasis on math. DO you think this is a good idea.WOuld not some time be well spent on history and geography
We all have our own idea what is important to learn. For me if a child has a solid foundation in Mathematics and language the rest follows. Geography and history are both taught starting in grade three, with local geography ( town, province, local rivers...etc. taught in grade two. Way back in the past I learned most of that stuff at home, not at school. My father was a forestry engineer with a strong interest in everything, especially history.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
We all have our own idea what is important to learn. For me if a child has a solid foundation in Mathematics and language the rest follows. Geography and history are both taught starting in grade three, with local geography ( town, province, local rivers...etc. taught in grade two. Way back in the past I learned most of that stuff at home, not at school. My father was a forestry engineer with a strong interest in everything, especially history.

Agree with you Bob although I do push STEM as much as possible as a way out of poverty. Liberal Arts majors are not in great demand in the world.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
thanks I appreciate your insite